Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

  1. #16
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,818

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Gringo was a pretty cool movie. Kind of reminded everyone that the shunned and cancelled Mel Gibson was still a good actor.

    It seemed more like Die Hard than a documentary to me though.

    Oh wait, that was Get The Gringo.
    Mel Gibson has been shunned and canceled? Just took a look at his filmography and he has made at least one movie every single year since 2010 and currently has 5 in production.
    What would you say.....ya do here?


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Mel Gibson has been shunned and canceled? Just took a look at his filmography and he has made at least one movie every single year since 2010 and currently has 5 in production.
    Seriously?

    Pretending that cancel culture doesn't exist is not the hill you want to die on.

    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...er-1234696080/

    The hiatus was largely due to being virtually shut out from Hollywood, an expulsion prompted by the infamous Malibu DUI arrest in 2006 during which he unleashed an anti-Semitic rant. That was followed by leaked tapes in 2010 where Gibson screamed racist remarks, including using the n-word, at his then-girlfriend, Oksana Grigorieva, the mother of one of his nine children. She later alleged Gibson was physically abusive. Even before his fall from grace, Gibson had routinely been in trouble for homophobic comments.

    Normally I would ask you to take the deep dive and ponder who cancelled him. "Hollywood," they say. Yeah that's one way to put it, sure. But in your case, it would be enough apparently just to acknowledge that the cancelling/shunning actually happened. Baby steps I guess.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 06-30-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva

  4. #18
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,818

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Seriously?

    Pretending that cancel culture doesn't exist is not the hill you want to die on.

    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...er-1234696080/




    Normally I would ask you to take the deep dive and ponder who cancelled him. "Hollywood," they say. Yeah that's one way to put it, sure. But in your case, it would be enough apparently just to acknowledge that the cancelling/shunning actually happened. Baby steps I guess.
    No, I understand he was “canceled” for being an anti-Semite and generally awful human being, I’m simply saying - doesn’t seem like he has been canceled. I’ve been seeing him everywhere the past few years. I even saw him in a major studio Will Ferrell family comedy. Am I imagining that? That doesn’t seem like someone that has been canceled to me?

    I know this is your pet project or whatever, but you honestly believe he was “canceled” because “Hollywood” didn’t like what he said? You truthfully do not understand it was because they are in the business of making money and making a movie with a guy that went on a racist and anti-Semitic tirade at a police officer wouldn’t be box office poison? They waited 4 years and then they started giving him jobs again because most Americans have short memories. Do you not understand marketing and business like at all?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-30-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  5. #19
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    No, I understand he was “canceled” for being an anti-Semite and generally awful human being, I’m simply saying - doesn’t seem like he has been canceled. I’ve been seeing him everywhere the past few years. I even saw him in a major studio Will Ferrell family comedy. Am I imagining that? That doesn’t seem like someone that has been canceled to me?
    Well that's the funny thing about being "cancelled" that people are slowly starting to realize.

    You can't be cancelled if you don't let them.

    If memory serves, he eventually just started his own studio, said f you to "Hollywood," and just went on living his life.

    In retrospect, Louie CK, Aziz, Al Frankken, etc could have all done the same thing. They all could have just said "nah, I'm gonna go ahead and just live my life, but thanks" and they would have been just fine. Just delete the Twitter account. Done and done. You'll see that course of action as a reaction to "being cancelled" more and more.

    And that, is a good thing.
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva

  6. #20
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,818

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Well that's the funny thing about being "cancelled" that people are slowly starting to realize.

    You can't be cancelled if you don't let them.

    If memory serves, he eventually just started his own studio, said f you to "Hollywood," and just went on living his life.

    In retrospect, Louie CK, Aziz, Al Frankken, etc could have all done the same thing. They all could have just said "nah, I'm gonna go ahead and just live my life, but thanks" and they would have been just fine. Just delete the Twitter account. Done and done. You'll see that course of action as a reaction to "being cancelled" more and more.

    And that, is a good thing.
    You seem to not understand, mel Gibson was not “canceled” because Hollywood didn’t agree with his racist and sexist tirade, they stopped putting him in their movies because he was too much of a risk, and also he had been churning out stinkers for a few years at that point anyway. Maybe you’re a big “What Women Want” fan, but most people weren’t haha.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  7. #21
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You seem to not understand, mel Gibson was not “canceled” because Hollywood didn’t agree with his racist and sexist tirade, they stopped putting him in their movies because he was too much of a risk, and also he had been churning out stinkers for a few years at that point anyway. Maybe you’re a big “What Women Want” fan, but most people weren’t haha.
    That's a bit of revisionist history there. "What Women Want" was not my knid of movie but it wasn't terrible and a lot of people seemed to enjoy it.

    "Hollywood" tried to cancel him and it worked for a while because he let it. Then one day he decided to not let them anymore.

    Here, I'll show you how it works.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 06-30-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva

  8. #22
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Mel Gibson has been shunned and canceled? Just took a look at his filmography and he has made at least one movie every single year since 2010 and currently has 5 in production.
    Do you go around fact-checking every guy in the world? What happened to hearing what a guy says and backing him up instead of being a nerd narc.

    (BTW this is a new character I'm work-shopping called "Guy who hates Twitter and cancel culture who spends all day on toxic comedian Twitter harassing and trying to cancel users who challenge/criticize his or his comic heroes' worldview")
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 06-30-2021 at 02:56 PM.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    282

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    I think Mel wasn't completely cancelled because he had enough F You money to do his own thing.

    I feel bad for the people who express political views and have their employers fire them for their beliefs who don't have that kind of money.

  10. Likes:

    Sea Ray (07-03-2021)

  11. #24
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    I think Mel wasn't completely cancelled because he had enough F You money to do his own thing.

    I feel bad for the people who express political views and have their employers fire them for their beliefs who don't have that kind of money.
    For people who don't recall Mel Gibson's political views: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson#Controversies

  12. #25
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,818

    Re: John McAfee found dead in Spanish Prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    For people who don't recall Mel Gibson's political views: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson#Controversies
    Personally, I belong to the “listen here sugar tits” political party which has a strong anti-Jew platform.
    What would you say.....ya do here?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator