Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: UFOs

They call me "chef"

Re: UFOs

BernieCarbo not being able to conceptualize a hostile alien takeover is the only thing preventing such an event from occuring on our planet. I, for one, am thankful that our shared reality is limited to his personal experience and understanding.

2. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think we should all assume that if these UFOs really have something to do with "aliens" that human logic will definitely apply to them and their motives.

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Of course, there’s wrongverb having another hissy fit.
    Could you be more dramatic?

It’s ironic, because you are probably the most close minded person on this site, and absolutely refuse to engage any ideas that don’t come from your own little world.
    I'm not sorry that it makes you defensive that I refuse to accept conjecture as fact. If something is, then demonstrate that it is, rather than complaining about closed-mindedness.

You can’t imagine that someone else might have experiences other than your own, or broader than your own.
    That's just wrong. What I won't do is pretend like anyone's personally lived reality extends to everyone, everywhere.

If you had ever bothered to travel extensively, you would see that the US and Europe are light years ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to environmental responsibility and progress. You make all these assumptions about people you’ve never met, but you really don’t know what you’re talking about.
    I agree, we are doing OK compared to the rest of the world. But you can't deny that many public figures on the right chafe at the idea of environmental regulations, and would prefer to see them relaxed or eliminated entirely.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

SteelSD (06-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

I agree, we are doing OK compared to the rest of the world. But you can't deny that many public figures on the right chafe at the idea of environmental regulations, and would prefer to see them relaxed or eliminated entirely.
    Why should anyone here accept or deny what "many public figures on the right" say about anything in this thread? It's not a political thread. Please make your political points elsewhere so this one doesn't get shut down. Thank you

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Why should anyone here accept or deny what "many public figures on the right" say about anything in this thread? It's not a political thread. Please make your political points elsewhere so this one doesn't get shut down. Thank you
    I'll post however I see fit. Thank you for your input.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Could you be more dramatic?
    Actually, yes, you have never seen me on stage.

But I will admit that since you didn't end your post with "Have a good day, sir", your hissy fittiness did not reach the top.

I'm not sorry that it makes you defensive that I refuse to accept conjecture as fact. If something is, then demonstrate that it is, rather than complaining about closed-mindedness.

This is what you said: "Amusing how people defending how the environment is now by pointing out how awful it was in the past are also usually against governmental regulations that allowed the environment to improve in the first place."

It's a lazy assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think we should all assume that if these UFOs really have something to do with "aliens" that human logic will definitely apply to them and their motives.
    I mean, I'm not sure what the alternative is. It's not as if there exists a body of knowledge of extraterrestrial psychology. It seems reasonable to conclude that they would be interested in exploration and/or expansion, for example, especially if they've come here.

Things are better than ever.
    Im not going to derail the thread by responding to this, but wow.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Im not going to derail the thread by responding to this, but wow.
    Well, probably not better than 100,000 years ago, but I'll let you define the timeline. If you want to use a different context than the air and water and trees that SeaRay brought up, then say that. As recently as the 1980's, towns were still pumping raw sewage into the oceans and rivers. Leaded gas was still used in most countries. Coal was the primary method of heating and producing electricity. As recently as 1950, where there are now forests, you could stand and see for miles due to the clear cutting that took place for decades. Automobiles use far less fuel to operate them and less energy to produce them. If you think the water and air is worse now than any time since the advent of the industrial revolution, then I can only say "wow". Read a book sometime.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Yeah I’m not sure how someone could see the earth rapidly warming and humanity doing untold ecological damage, to the point where scientists are saying the planet is heading towards becoming quite literally uninhabitable, and say “things are better than ever.” That is, to put it mildly, pretty much objectively false. But again yeah, that’s a discussion for a different thread on a different section, so I’ll leave it at that.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-27-2021)

Well, probably not better than 100,000 years ago, but I'll let you define the timeline. If you want to use a different context than the air and water and trees that SeaRay brought up, then say that. As recently as the 1980's, towns were still pumping raw sewage into the oceans and rivers. Leaded gas was still used in most countries. Coal was the primary method of heating and producing electricity. As recently as 1950, where there are now forests, you could stand and see for miles due to the clear cutting that took place for decades. Automobiles use far less fuel to operate them and less energy to produce them. If you think the water and air is worse now than any time since the advent of the industrial revolution, then I can only say "wow". Read a book sometime.
    Ok, I’ll read a book.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah I’m not sure how someone could see the earth rapidly warming and humanity doing untold ecological damage, to the point where scientists are saying the planet is heading towards becoming quite literally uninhabitable, and say “things are better than ever.” That is, to put it mildly, pretty much objectively false. But again yeah, that’s a discussion for a different thread on a different section, so I’ll leave it at that.
    This is what searay said: "Our environment is improving in many ways. We have more trees than we had 100 yrs ago. The air and water are also cleaner."

Those thing are true, and we've made great strides since the EPA was formed. That's all I was saying. I'm very bullish on the environment, and I'm not saying "mission accomplished" at all, but it's ridiculous to ignore how much improved the air and water is.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

This is what searay said: "Our environment is improving in many ways. We have more trees than we had 100 yrs ago. The air and water are also cleaner."

Those thing are true, and we've made great strides since the EPA was formed. That's all I was saying. I'm very bullish on the environment, and I'm not saying "mission accomplished" at all, but it's ridiculous to ignore how much improved the air and water is.
    I mean in those regards yeah I’ll have to take your word for it because I honestly am not sure what the difference between now and then is. We definitely are still facing the consequences of that past unchecked pollution though.

And even with the EPA, we’re still doing crazy amounts of damage to the ocean between insane levels of micro plastics polluting our seas and talks about the entire coral reef systems dying out within a few generations. I’m not sure what regulations they’ve done in terms of water pollution, but I know at least those couple things are still major major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I mean in those regards yeah I’ll have to take your word for it because I honestly am not sure what the difference between now and then is. We definitely are still facing the consequences of that past unchecked pollution though.

And even with the EPA, we’re still doing crazy amounts of damage to the ocean between insane levels of micro plastics polluting our seas and talks about the entire coral reef systems dying out within a few generations. I’m not sure what regulations they’ve done in terms of water pollution, but I know at least those couple things are still major major issues.
    In the 1960's, you could tell what kind of paper there were making in the mills just from the color of the water. Cities discharged raw sewage into the water. Trash was hauled out into the ocean to be dumped. Swamps and wetlands were purposely chosen for landfills to dispose of trash where the ocean wasn't handy. Whatever problems there are today were far worse back then. That doesn't mean our job is done, but it does mean that technology is allowing us to get a handle on it even though our population has nearly doubled. Just the wastewater treatment plant technology alone have made a huge difference in our quality of life.

20. Likes:

Phoenix2 (06-29-2021)

Turn Off Ads?