Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: With Milwaukee starting to run away with the division....

With Milwaukee starting to run away with the division....

Should the Reds start thinking about next year? Catching Milwaukee or the 2nd WC spot seems difficult at this point.

I am happy that the Reds could jump Chicago soon and move in to 2nd, but the path to the playoffs is getting hard.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: With Milwaukee starting to run away with the division....

There’s 3 months to go. I doubt the Brewers will continue to win 9 out of 10 games or whatever. They are on fire.

It’s almost as if the Reds should have targeted Wily Adames like I wanted all offseason.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-03-2021),CarolinaRedleg (07-06-2021),DocRed (07-03-2021),Edd Roush (07-03-2021),GAC (07-04-2021),Indymoon (07-04-2021),M2 (07-03-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-04-2021),Roy Tucker (07-04-2021),wlf WV (07-04-2021),WrongVerb (07-03-2021)

The Reds have 7 games with the Brewers coming up in the next two weeks. They can only afford to lose 1 of them, imo. If they go 5-2, they only pick up 3 games. And honestly, I am not sure they can go 5-2 against this Brewer club.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s almost as if the Reds should have targeted Wily Adames like nearly everyone wanted all offseason.
    FIFY

But I agree. I think we will all look back at this season and conclude that that trade was the turning point. The Reds needed a SS, and let a good one go to their division rival.

I remember back in the early 2000’s, they had a chance to get Rolen and then Chuck Finley, and both times the Cards traded for them, with money being the issue both times. And it was those trades that made the difference each season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

CmdrCody (07-03-2021),wlf WV (07-04-2021)

Reds need to win and keep winning.
    It doesn't matter what the Brewers do if the Reds can't put wins together.

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-03-2021),Old school 1983 (07-03-2021),Revering4Blue (07-03-2021)

Not to take anything away from the Brewers because they are winning these games, but they're in a 32-game stretch that includes this schedule: two with Detroit, seven with Arizona, seven with Pittsburgh, and seven with Colorado. That's over three weeks of games in about a month against cellar dwellers.

Milwaukee is still the team to beat, but I think they'll come back to earth a bit. Like Ron said, the Reds need to get away from the .500 mark or it's not going to matter.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

11. Likes:

CySeymour (07-03-2021),Griffey012 (07-03-2021),Old school 1983 (07-03-2021),Revering4Blue (07-03-2021),Ron Madden (07-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    FIFY

But I agree. I think we will all look back at this season and conclude that that trade was the turning point. The Reds needed a SS, and let a good one go to their division rival.

I remember back in the early 2000’s, they had a chance to get Rolen and then Chuck Finley, and both times the Cards traded for them, with money being the issue both times. And it was those trades that made the difference each season.
    That’s not remotely true about everyone wanting him. Go back to the thread. I was on an island with that one with maybe a couple other posters. I believe at the time I said I would have traded Antone and Lodolo. Still absolutely would have done that, even though it clearly wouldn’t have taken that much from what the Rays ended up getting.

Reds have 5 very winnable games followed by 7 straight vs. MIL. Let’s see how they look after that stretch. If they are still 8 games out of the division and WC by then it may be time to think about next season. I have a feeling they’ll be within striking distance by then.

14. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (07-03-2021),RedTeamGo! (07-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Reds have 5 very winnable games followed by 7 straight vs. MIL. Let’s see how they look after that stretch. If they are still 8 games out of the division and WC by then it may be time to think about next season. I have a feeling they’ll be within striking distance by then.
    I’ll go ahead and say this: if the reds sweep the Cubs this weekend they can’t and shouldn’t sell. This is a huge weekend series. There was a sell out last night and the atmosphere was electric. The reds have one of the best offenses in baseball. You add a couple quality pitchers “we’re contenders now”

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-04-2021),M2 (07-03-2021),Mitri (07-03-2021),Old school 1983 (07-03-2021)

That’s not remotely true about everyone wanting him. Go back to the thread. I was on an island with that one with maybe a couple other posters. I believe at the time I said I would have traded Antone and Lodolo. Still absolutely would have done that, even though it clearly wouldn’t have taken that much from what the Rays ended up getting.
    Antone, Lodolo, and INDIA was your proposal. Was a terrible trade then, and it still is today so don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

If we're 8 games back in late July then it's time to start thinking about next year. If we're 5 games back or less then it's time to add for a late season run. The Brewers have a 0.2 SRS they aren't world beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Antone, Lodolo, and INDIA was your proposal. Was a terrible trade then, and it still is today so don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.
    Antone is currently on the IL, will be shocked if he doesn’t require TJ again

Lodolo is currently on the IL, has been for weeks. He’s carving up AA hitters. Whoopdy do. Last time he faced major leaguers he got touched big time.

India looks good, still not sure about his bat moving forward.

I would still absolutely make that trade. Adames is a first division shortstop. 4-5 bWAR per season type player with 4 years old control. I would do that in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile the Brewers traded for Adames and he has put them on his back and their running away with the division.

PS: congrats on actually doing homework before posting. You did it!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Lodolo is currently on the IL, has been for weeks.

I would still absolutely make that trade. Adames is a first division shortstop. 4-5 bWAR per season type player with 4 years old control. I would do that in a heartbeat.
    Yeah that’s a terrible trade, 2 of those players are why we’ve won anything at all this season, they better hope Antone comes back, he was already a 2 bWAR pitcher on his own. Our bullpen would have actual negative value without him. And Lodolo is probably a top 50 prospect by now alone.

21. Likes:

757690 (07-03-2021),Old school 1983 (07-03-2021),Ron Madden (07-03-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (07-04-2021),Thisyear (07-03-2021)

Lodolo is currently on the IL, has been for weeks. He’s carving up AA hitters. Whoopdy do. Last time he faced major leaguers he got touched big time.

Meanwhile the Brewers traded for Adames and he has put them on his back and their running away with the division.

PS: congrats on actually doing homework before posting. You did it!
    Career .759 OPS. I did my research, giving away your best pitcher, a top 50 prospect, and a hitter who has a .793 OPS in his first year for a average player is not even in the realm of a good trade for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Career .759 OPS. I did my research, giving away your best pitcher, a top 50 prospect, and a hitter who has a .793 OPS in his first year for a average player is not even in the realm of a good trade for the Reds.
    Antone is the reds best pitcher?

You’ll have to explain to me how a 4-5 bWAR player is average.

Turn Off Ads?