Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: With Milwaukee starting to run away with the division....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

With Milwaukee starting to run away with the division....

Should the Reds start thinking about next year? Catching Milwaukee or the 2nd WC spot seems difficult at this point.

I am happy that the Reds could jump Chicago soon and move in to 2nd, but the path to the playoffs is getting hard.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Re: With Milwaukee starting to run away with the division....

There’s 3 months to go. I doubt the Brewers will continue to win 9 out of 10 games or whatever. They are on fire.

It’s almost as if the Reds should have targeted Wily Adames like I wanted all offseason.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

3. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-03-2021),CarolinaRedleg (07-06-2021),DocRed (07-03-2021),Edd Roush (07-03-2021),GAC (07-04-2021),Indymoon (07-04-2021),M2 (07-03-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-04-2021),Roy Tucker (07-04-2021),wlf WV (07-04-2021),WrongVerb (07-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s almost as if the Reds should have targeted Wily Adames like nearly everyone wanted all offseason.
    FIFY

But I agree. I think we will all look back at this season and conclude that that trade was the turning point. The Reds needed a SS, and let a good one go to their division rival.

I remember back in the early 2000’s, they had a chance to get Rolen and then Chuck Finley, and both times the Cards traded for them, with money being the issue both times. And it was those trades that made the difference each season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

CmdrCody (07-03-2021),wlf WV (07-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    FIFY

But I agree. I think we will all look back at this season and conclude that that trade was the turning point. The Reds needed a SS, and let a good one go to their division rival.

I remember back in the early 2000’s, they had a chance to get Rolen and then Chuck Finley, and both times the Cards traded for them, with money being the issue both times. And it was those trades that made the difference each season.
    That’s not remotely true about everyone wanting him. Go back to the thread. I was on an island with that one with maybe a couple other posters. I believe at the time I said I would have traded Antone and Lodolo. Still absolutely would have done that, even though it clearly wouldn’t have taken that much from what the Rays ended up getting.

That’s not remotely true about everyone wanting him. Go back to the thread. I was on an island with that one with maybe a couple other posters. I believe at the time I said I would have traded Antone and Lodolo. Still absolutely would have done that, even though it clearly wouldn’t have taken that much from what the Rays ended up getting.
    Antone, Lodolo, and INDIA was your proposal. Was a terrible trade then, and it still is today so don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Antone, Lodolo, and INDIA was your proposal. Was a terrible trade then, and it still is today so don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.
    Antone is currently on the IL, will be shocked if he doesn’t require TJ again

Lodolo is currently on the IL, has been for weeks. He’s carving up AA hitters. Whoopdy do. Last time he faced major leaguers he got touched big time.

India looks good, still not sure about his bat moving forward.

I would still absolutely make that trade. Adames is a first division shortstop. 4-5 bWAR per season type player with 4 years old control. I would do that in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile the Brewers traded for Adames and he has put them on his back and their running away with the division.

PS: congrats on actually doing homework before posting. You did it!

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    A lot of people were ready to give up on India this past offseason and trade him for blah returns. Damn glad the Reds didn't do that.

He's been terrific over his last 28 games and I won't be surprised to see more power develop over time.

I said nearly everyone thought the Reds should target Adames and I stand by that. The debate was over what to offer for him.

You were on an island, but only because you were the only one who wanted to trade Antone, Lodolo and India to get him. Granted, India was not highly regarded by many back then, but Antone and Lodolo absolutely were. The Brewers acquired him for two middle relievers, so your bid was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

I said nearly everyone thought the Reds should target Adames and I stand by that. The debate was over what to offer for him.

You were on an island, but only because you were the only one who wanted to trade Antone, Lodolo and India to get him. Granted, India was not highly regarded by many back then, but Antone and Lodolo absolutely were. The Brewers acquired him for two middle relievers, so your bid was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.
    Re-read the last sentence of the post you quoted

FIFY

Or in 2012 when Ludwick got hurt on Opening Day. We saw the same deaf-ears response from the front office that we saw this offseason with SS, and relief pitching.

It seems to me that Castellini-owned Reds have only practiced two methodologies:

either
    Tanking
    or
    Half-Measures

Neither get the job done, and the proof is in the results. This year in particular is frustrating to see the half-measure approach, because they are a legit playoff team with a real SS and non-dumpster-fire relief pitching.

Farmer has been looking good at SS, and I like Farmer. It's hard not to like most of these guys. Team chemistry seems off the charts. And the RP has at least been uneven of late, rather than dumpster-fire territory. But Farmer is not a starting SS and the RP ebbs and flows.

These upcoming games against the Brewers will be very telling.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-03-2021),Nasty_Boy (07-04-2021),wlf WV (07-04-2021)

There’s 3 months to go. I doubt the Brewers will continue to win 9 out of 10 games or whatever. They are on fire.

It’s almost as if the Reds should have targeted Wily Adames like I wanted all offseason.
    Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Please.
    I don’t know what this means

I don’t know what this means
    Saying the Brewers are in first place because of Wily Whatshisface is like saying the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl because Trent Dilfer was their QB.

Milwaukee has one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and 11th best Bullpen ERA.

We have one of the worst pitching staffs and basically the worst bullpen in MLB. It's pretty clear why Milwaukee is where they are and why we're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    We have one of the worst pitching staffs and basically the worst bullpen in MLB..
    Half right. The bullpen's been a toxic spill zone. The rotation's been pretty good and it's got its top four healthy entering the 2nd half of the season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Reds have 7 games with the Brewers coming up in the next two weeks. They can only afford to lose 1 of them, imo. If they go 5-2, they only pick up 3 games. And honestly, I am not sure they can go 5-2 against this Brewer club.

Turn Off Ads?