Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Re: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Hoppe commands the far post and leaps highest for a header for 1-0 lead. Cross from Rolland was a looper, not driven, but just out of GK Blake’s reach.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    First half - USA v Jamaica. Really poor football from USA. LLetget and Busio are not good enough. LLetget lacks confidence and Busio lacks everything but speed. Acosta is trying hard, so he stands out.
    Turner got to show off a little bit in the 1st half. Really happy for him. Also really want this tournament to be over so he can get back to his day job.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Gold cup final between US and Mexico: 1-0 Robinson with a heroic header in minute 117 off a perfect free kick delivery by Acosta. Both squads played positive, attacking football, but both teams did not not finish attacks with any confidence at all.
    Acosta, Robinson, Williamson and Turner were standouts.
    Zardes and Arriola were just awful. Arriola has had three shots with only the goalie to beat and missed them all. Zardes completely wiffed on two perfect crosses. US could easily have scored 3-4 goals.

That was an absolutely beautiful header. Will remember that one for a long long time.

I’m not sure Berhalter is some tactical genius or anything, but he does make adjustments and those guy play their tails off.

6. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-05-2021)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

This wasn't a great competition in terms of quality of play, what with us and other squads missing top European players (but with Qatar?), but it's a good sign that we can grind through CONCACAF games with less than our best. World Cup qualifying is just around the corner and missing out again is unthinkable.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

8. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-05-2021)

Qatar are the reigning Asian champs. They are actually a solid team.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Qatar are the reigning Asian champs. They are actually a solid team.
    This. That was a really quality win for the US frankly, especially with our B team.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    This. That was a really quality win for the US frankly, especially with our B team.
    The Qatar win actually bumped the USMNT up to 16th in the world in FIFA rankings
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Wow..amazing win. Thank GOD I DVR'd it as I almost didn't thinking we had no chance to win last night. Acosta, Hoppe, Turner and Robinson all played their hearts out. Arriola's shots were oh so close too.

Even though that wasn't Mexico's starting 11 come WC time including their best player Jimenez its a lot closer than El Tri fans will admit. I'm seeing at least 5 or 6 guys on team Mexico that likely will be starting compared to probably no starters for the US. Acosta was great but I can't see him staring over a healthy Adams. Turner is worthy of the conversation but I can't see Steffen losing his spot. Miles Robinson has a shot but is still an underdog. On the other hand Mexico will likely start Gallardo, Araujo, Chaka, Herrera, Alvarez, Tecatito and possibly even Salcedo, Moreno, Guttierez and Pizarro who all played last night. Forget Vela and Chicharito who ain't gonna play for different reasons. Last night Mexico fielded their A- team and ours was a B/C team. The Mexican squad was not far below what they fielded in the Nations League Final really.

Below is a good thread by El Tri fans more knowledgable than me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LigaMX/comm...11_and_roster/

Here's another..

https://sofifa.com/squad/662058?hl=en-US
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-02-2021 at 03:10 PM.

13. Likes:

M2 (08-02-2021),Yachtzee (08-02-2021)

I think Turner absolutely put himself into the conversation over Steffen.

Steffen is absolutely more talented, but he makes me nervous.

I don’t think anyone else is part of the best 11, but with the way the qualifying schedule is set up, several of those guys will get a lot of minutes.

15. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021)

It wasn't that long ago that ppl were calling for Horvath to start over Steffen too though...

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that ppl were calling for Horvath to start over Steffen too though...
    He did have that killer final against Mexico a couple months ago.

I’m not saying either one of those guys is a starter, just that it’s a conversation. I don’t think you can just write Steffen is the starter for sure.

18. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think Turner absolutely put himself into the conversation over Steffen.

Steffen is absolutely more talented, but he makes me nervous.
    Steffen's got to play. He can't be dealing with rust, especially for one of his main strengths which is playing the ball out with his feet.

I've gotten to see Turner's whole career. The guy makes big stops. He's got the nerve you want in a #1. Some European club really should pony up some cash for him in the January transfer window. He's outstanding.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021),IslandRed (08-05-2021),membengal (08-02-2021)

Turn Off Ads?