Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup

2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup

USMNT recently announced their roster and I understand that for many reasons it would basically be a B team but man....zero stars on this team. Aside from maybe Dike and a couple youngsters like Busio/Hoppe...not sure who I am excited to see play. Julian Araujo turning down the call up worries me...

Gotta think Mexico is a big favorite here. The fact that I actually recognize some of the players on their roster is probably a bad thing for us.

Would like to hear others chime in who know the players much better than I do as I am an admitted novice fan who basically only follows the USMNT.
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-03-2021 at 06:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup

The Mexico roster make up isn’t that different from the US. Mostly young guys with a couple more established players who aren’t really starters in their top 11. I would say they are the favorites though. Canada actually has the closest thing to their strongest roster.

When they had to compress the schedule with the Olympics and WC Qualifying and put more emphasis on the Nations Cup, the Gold Cup was just going to take a huge back seat this time around.

4. Likes:

DocRed (07-04-2021)

Isn't Mexico B team better than our B team though? Is Dos Santos over the hill?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Isn't Mexico B team better than our B team though? Is Dos Santos over the hill?
    I would give them a slight edge yes.

Jona isn’t over the hill, but he’s pretty comparable to Llegett in terms of standing. He is still a very solid defensive mid.

Dike might be best player on either roster
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Watched some of the game last night. Dike looks great as did Hoppe and Busio. The 3 guys I wanted to see played well.

Dike might be exactly what the USMNT has lacked for generations. A striker in the mold of Kane or Lukaku. A bully in the box with touch and skill. If he is what I think he might be, the USMNT will be a legit World Cup contender for the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dike might be exactly what the USMNT has lacked for generations. A striker in the mold of Kane or Lukaku. A bully in the box with touch and skill. If he is what I think he might be, the USMNT will be a legit World Cup contender for the next decade.
    He’s so good. Him up top with Pulisic, Mckinnie and Reyna behind him….

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He’s so good. Him up top with Pulisic, Mckinnie and Reyna behind him….
    Yep, Busio too.

Yep, Busio too.
    I need to see him more.

Didn’t blow me away last night, but I haven’t seen him play besides that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I need to see him more.

Didn’t blow me away last night, but I haven’t seen him play besides that yet.
    I was just on a teams call with a Sporting KC season ticket holder/super fan and he was saying he’s really bummed out Busio will be going to Europe shortly. Said the kid is just special, only way to describe him.

I was just on a teams call with a Sporting KC season ticket holder/super fan and he was saying he’s really bummed out Busio will be going to Europe shortly. Said the kid is just special, only way to describe him.
    Looks like he as just sold to Venezia for about $5M.

Busio needs to improve his general command of the game, but he can make line-breaking passes. We didn't used to have players like that in the U.S. Very cool he's headed to Venezia - newly promoted club with minutes to give a promising player. Also doesn't hurt that he's part-Italian. That will buy him some minutes and a few benefits of a doubt.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The US scored 22 seconds in and then hung on for dear life, but won 1-0. Zimmerman got hurt and they don’t really have a back up, but the next game isn’t for a week so hopefully he gets better.

Mexico also barely hung on against El Salvador but also won 1-0.

US will play the loser of Costa Rica Jamaica tomorrow and is on the opposite side of the bracket from Mexico and Canada. So despite not looking very good, I’d still bet they’d make the final.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (07-19-2021)

First half - USA v Jamaica. Really poor football from USA. LLetget and Busio are not good enough. LLetget lacks confidence and Busio lacks everything but speed. Acosta is trying hard, so he stands out.

Turn Off Ads?