Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Ohio State Football

Re: 2021 Ohio State Football

Nah, it’s not that.

TX won’t allow HSers to make NIL money. When he found this out he enrolled early at OSU, because he was already committed there and rushed through his senior classes during spring and summer so he could enroll early and get the NIL money. Kid started his NFL clock early and got his bag from sponsors in Cbus. The second he enrolled early and OSU did not even remotely celebrate it, this seemed inevitable. Has nothing to do with being homesick. I think this kid made a business decision 1 year ago and never had any intention of playing at OSU. Pretty smart, really.

I think I said a couple weeks ago it seemed odd Day was going so hard after Devin Brown suddenly. He knew. He’s known for some time. A few months ago he went hard after Drew Allar, and when it became clear Allar was going to honor his committment to PSU, Day focused on Brown.

I think Stroud is good, and Brown looks pretty special as well. However, I have a feeling Drew Allar is going to be the really special player out of this 22 class, including Ewers, and OSU shunned him because of this punk from TX. I do not fault Day for going after Ewers when he thought he could get him, but I’m starting to get a feeling we are going to be looking back for decades thinking “how did we let the best QB to come out of Ohio in decades go to Penn State?”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I just don’t know about Ewers. Logically, what you are saying makes sense. However, there have already been rumors Ewers is going to transfer. He seems like a complete ego-maniac to me, I think he wants to definitely start day 1 in 2022, and just because he has a big ego doesn’t mean he’s dumb. I think he might go home to TAMU, UT, or hell, even Baylor.

Long story short: I reallllllly want them to get Devin Brown.
    Bingo - 2 weeks ago

Ohio State reporters saying that Ewers had a clause in his NIL deal requiring him to start a certain number of games next year. Dude was gone as soon as CJ Stroud started tearing it up, he knew he couldn’t meet that requirement.

Bingo - 2 weeks ago
    You were clearly right. I still don't really understand what Ewers was thinking in the whole process. I get that he wanted the NIL money, but he could have done that by just graduating early and going to Texas last year. Maybe he didn't think that Stroud would be as good as he was, but he knew he wasn't going to play in 2021 coming in as late as he did. It just seems weird, if he really wanted to come to OSU, that he wouldn't at least compete in spring.

Oh well, losing Ewers stinks, but OSU is still in a good spot at QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio State reporters saying that Ewers had a clause in his NIL deal requiring him to start a certain number of games next year. Dude was gone as soon as CJ Stroud started tearing it up, he knew he couldn’t meet that requirement.
    Interesting. Well in that case the transfer makes sense

Apparently that isn’t true.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    You were clearly right. I still don't really understand what Ewers was thinking in the whole process. I get that he wanted the NIL money, but he could have done that by just graduating early and going to Texas last year. Maybe he didn't think that Stroud would be as good as he was, but he knew he wasn't going to play in 2021 coming in as late as he did. It just seems weird, if he really wanted to come to OSU, that he wouldn't at least compete in spring.

It’s all super weird. Kid is talented and hopefully it works out for him, but these are all giant red flags about decision making at a position where decision making is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Apparently that isn’t true.
    Yeah, Bill Landis of the athletic confirmed that those types of deals are against the rules of what types of deals can be made under the NIL rules, and thus isn’t true.
    The whole thing is very hard to make any kind of sense of. The only thing that really makes sense is he’s homesick.

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Yeah, Bill Landis of the athletic confirmed that those types of deals are against the rules of what types of deals can be made under the NIL rules, and thus isn’t true.
    The whole thing is very hard to make any kind of sense of. The only thing that really makes sense is he’s homesick.

Or he used OSU to get the NIL money and now is leaving town to go where he really wanted. And if that’s the case, I don’t begrudge him one bit. Don’t hate the player hate the game. (Literally)

Plus with Stroud’s success playing time was an issue as well - there wouldn’t have been any competition next year.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 12-04-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post

I don’t really get it, but I’ve read he could not have done this in TX with regard to graduating early and getting the NIL money. I think the second he reclassified it was written in stone he was going to do exactly this. I wonder if that’s the entire reason he ever even talked to OSU and ended up committing. It’s looking like he completely played OSU.

I don’t really get it, but I’ve read he could not have done this in TX with regard to graduating early and getting the NIL money. I think the second he reclassified it was written in stone he was going to do exactly this. I wonder if that’s the entire reason he ever even talked to OSU and ended up committing. It’s looking like he completely played OSU.
    Or he just realized he wasn’t going to beat out Stroud and bailed.

Didn’t Ohio State recruit the state of Texas pretty hard before Ewers?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Or he just realized he wasn’t going to beat out Stroud and bailed.

Didn’t Ohio State recruit the state of Texas pretty hard before Ewers?
    Yes and they still do, but Ewers was committed to Texas for a long time and then suddenly decommitted and committed to OSU out of the blue. It was weird at the time and when he reclassified I thought it was obvious he was doing it for the money. He’s a TX kid and his plan was to always play for a TX school.

Yes and they still do, but Ewers was committed to Texas for a long time and then suddenly decommitted and committed to OSU out of the blue. It was weird at the time and when he reclassified I thought it was obvious he was doing it for the money. He’s a TX kid and his plan was to always play for a TX school.
    He decommitted from Texas after they fired Herman so it wasn’t totally out of the blue.

He still could have gone to a Texas college for the NIL stuff, he just couldn’t play HS this year. Who knows.

Could Ohio State vs Utah be a better game then any of the college football playoff games?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I was texting with some Ohio State friends tonight after Stroud was announced a Heisman finalist and were debating if Justin Fields made a mistake going pro.

Stroud has been good and exceeded expectations but as good as he’s been Fields would have been silly this year. I don’t think OSU loses, at least not twice, so they are back in the playoffs and probably the favorite. He would have won the Heisman. And there aren’t any QBs in this draft so he could have gone 1 overall and at the very least goes quite a bit higher than last year.

He’s making millions of dollars so it’s hard to say he made a mistake, but he had all time college and Buckeyes legend at play if he came back and finished the job, given how college football played out this year.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (12-07-2021)

Turn Off Ads?