Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft

Re: 2021 NBA Draft

Who says no?

OKC trades SGA, the 6th pick, and the 18th pick to Detroit for the top pick (Cade Cunningham) and Killian Hayes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Who says no?

OKC trades SGA, the 6th pick, and the 18th pick to Detroit for the top pick (Cade Cunningham) and Killian Hayes.
    Detroit says no I think
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-08-2021),BillDoran (07-08-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-08-2021)

If Detroit says no to that, they are crazy. SGA is an established all-star level player.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (07-08-2021),Revering4Blue (07-08-2021)

Phew! Did not realize the season SGA just had. Per game: 24 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists on 50/40/80 shooting. All while playing good defense.

Even if you deduct for playing on as bad a team as is imaginable, that is all star-caliber for a 22-year-old.

That said, I do think you hold onto the No. 1 pick. The opportunity to pick that high is exceedingly rare (unless you're Cleveland), and this is a pretty good draft with good top-end talent. As strong as SGA is, I think you have to swing for the fences and look for a player that can be the focal point on a championship team. If nobody grades out that way for you, then maybe.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 07-08-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Who says no?

Both.

OKC knows they have a stud all around PG in Shai and they have two 1sts in a thick draft to build around him. That's way too much to give up in any deal. Doesn't make sense for them.

Detroit I don't think can pass up Cade on the chance he reaches what should be a very high ceiling. A 6'8 220 PG who can shoot? He's got a lot of potential and he's very marketable for a team and city that desperately needs someone. Cade is a bigger splash than Shai + whoever they'd get at #6.

The deal just really doesnt make sense for either team. Both are rebuilding and the deal would only shuffle the cards for each franchise.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-08-2021),M2 (07-08-2021),Revering4Blue (07-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Both.

OKC knows they have a stud all around PG in Shai and they have two 1sts in a thick draft to build around him. That's way too much to give up in any deal. Doesn't make sense for them.

Detroit I don't think can pass up Cade on the chance he reaches what should be a very high ceiling. A 6'8 220 PG who can shoot? He's got a lot of potential and he's very marketable for a team and city that desperately needs someone. Cade is a bigger splash than Shai + whoever they'd get at #6.

The deal just really doesnt make sense for either team. Both are rebuilding and the deal would only shuffle the cards for each franchise.
    I think this hits it right. It's a really compelling trade idea, but both teams have ample reason to stick with what they've got. In Detroit's case, this is the first #1 overall pick they've had since they selected Jalen Rose's dad in 1967. That's a chance to land a supposed chosen one.
    Last edited by M2; 07-08-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Both.

Seemed like every time I was watching highlights last season Cade was there. I view him as a generational franchise player. How much do they go for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If Detroit says no to that, they are crazy. SGA is an established all-star level player.
    Should Houston make that deal for the second pick and Christian Wood?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

2021 NBA Draft

I had a mock draft ready to post, but it contained two players (Johnny Juzang and Max Abmas) who elected to return to school. With that in mind, the updated version:

1)Pistons: No explanation necessary -- Cade Cunningham.

2)Rockets: The rebuilding Rockets cannot focus upon possible positional redundancy at this point -- Evan Mobley

3)Cavaliers: Cavs reportedly covet Mobley, but land more shot-creation and playmaking ability -- Jalen Green

4)Raptors: A long-term backcourt solution, Kyle Lowry or no Kyle Lowry -- Jalen Suggs

5)Magic: Magic think long and hard about Kuminga here, and very likely come out ahead in the long run -- Scottie Barnes

6)Thunder: Scouts are divided about this selection's ceiling, but Thunder have nothing except time -- Jonathan Kuminga

7)Warriors (from T-Wolves): More dribble penetration, along with a well-rounded skillset, to further diversify the Warriors' attack -- Davion Mitchell

8)Magic (from Bulls): Magic gain a walking bucket, who was impressive during the combine -- James Bouknight

9)Kings: Not exactly a 'sexy' pick, but one that makes a ton of sense on so many levels -- Franz Wagner

10)Pelicans: A 3-and-D floor-spacing swingman to lessen the pressure on Zion -- Moses Moody

11)Hornets: Hornets resist the urge to reach for a big -- a need which they will later fill via free-agency -- and instead add another transitional weapon for Ball and company -- Keon Johnson

12)Spurs: If any franchise/culture can sap the tremendous potential of this selection, it's San Antonio -- Jalen Johnson

13)Pacers: McBuckets is an unrestricted free agent. And the second unit, with or without McBuckets, can't eschew more shooting -- Corey Kispert

14)Warriors: Having landed an immediate contributor with their previous pick, Bob Myers can afford to swing for the fences here -- Josh Giddey

15)Wizards: At last, a dependable third guard -- Chris Duarte

16)Thunder (from Boston): In time, possibly the type of solid floor-stretching, switchable-defending big that teams covet -- Kai Jones

17)Grizzlies: A 6'9" shooter, defender and all-around glue guy. And possibly the long-term answer at small forward -- Trey Murphy III

18)Thunder (from Miami): This uber-talented combo guard with a 6'9" wingspan is a strong candidate for the annual 'How in the hell did he fall so far in the draft?' award -- Nah'shon Hyland

19)Knicks: With Rose heading for free-agency, Knicks land additional backcourt scoring and shot-creation -- Tre Mann

20)Hawks: Assuming he's cleared to play (health issues), this is his absolute floor, and a perfect fit -- Jared Butler

21)Knicks (from Dallas): A center tag-team of Mitchell Robinson and this selection, who has been compared with a budding Domantas Sabonis, could eventually create havoc for opposing teams -- Alperen Sengun

22)Lakers: As for the reasoning for this selection, I echo the previous sentiments of adkindo -- Miles McBride

23)Rockets (from Portland): While he didn't exactly set the world on fire during his lone NCAA season, there's no denying the upside of this 6'10 small forward -- Ziaire Williams

24)Rockets (from Milwaukee): It's not a stretch to suggest that this combo guard possesses lottery-level talent -- Ayo Dosunmu

25)Clippers: An often overlooked floor general with tremendous on-court leadership skills, who can distribute the ball to the right personnel at the right time -- Jason Preston

26)Nuggets: A pure shooter? No, A pure scorer? One of the best that this draft has to offer, and an asset to the Nuggets second unit -- Cameron Thomas

27)Nets: Fills two needs: Bench production and a possible replacement for the likely-departing Spencer Dinwiddie -- Jaden Springer

28)76ers: This floor-stretching, switchable defender at 6'9" with a 7'3" swingman presents an intriguing option (as well as another frontcourt gun) playing next to or behind Joel Embiid -- JT Thor

29)Suns: Local hero with eye-popping upside provides additional wing depth -- Josh Christopher

30)Jazz: The playoff loss to the Clippers exposed the lack of a floor-stretching, switchable defending stretch four. The Jazz address that issue here. And what's more, gain another rim-protector in the process -- Usman Garuba
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-08-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

14. Likes:

adkindo (07-09-2021),BillDoran (07-09-2021),Bourgeois Zee (07-09-2021),M2 (07-22-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-09-2021),texasdave (07-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I had a mock draft ready to post, but it contained two players (Johnny Juzang and Max Abmas) who elected to return to school. With that in mind, the updated version:

1)Pistons: No explanation necessary -- Cade Cunningham.

2)Rockets: The rebuilding Rockets cannot focus upon possible positional redundancy at this point -- Evan Mobley

3)Cavaliers: Cavs reportedly covet Mobley, but land more shot-creation and playmaking ability -- Jalen Green

4)Raptors: A long-term backcourt solution, Kyle Lowry or no Kyle Lowry -- Jalen Suggs

5)Magic: Magic think long and hard about Kuminga here, and very likely come out ahead in the long run -- Scottie Barnes

6)Thunder: Scouts are divided about this selection's ceiling, but Thunder have nothing except time -- Jonathan Kuminga

7)Warriors (from T-Wolves): More dribble penetration, along with a well-rounded skillset, to further diversify the Warriors' attack -- Davion Mitchell

8)Magic (from Bulls): Magic gain a walking bucket, who was impressive during the combine -- James Bouknight

9)Kings: Not exactly a 'sexy' pick, but one that makes a ton of sense on so many levels -- Franz Wagner

10)Pelicans: A 3-and-D floor-spacing swingman to lessen the pressure on Zion -- Moses Moody

11)Hornets: Hornets resist the urge to reach for a big -- a need which they will later fill via free-agency -- and instead add another transitional weapon for Ball and company -- Keon Johnson

12)Spurs: If any franchise/culture can sap the tremendous potential of this selection, it's San Antonio -- Jalen Johnson

13)Pacers: McBuckets is an unrestricted free agent. And the second unit, with or without McBuckets, can't eschew more shooting -- Corey Kispert

14)Warriors: Having landed an immediate contributor with their previous pick, Bob Myers can afford to swing for the fences here -- Josh Giddey

15)Wizards: At last, a dependable third guard -- Chris Duarte

16)Thunder (from Boston): In time, possibly the type of solid floor-stretching, switchable-defending big that teams covet -- Kai Jones

17)Grizzlies: A 6'9" shooter, defender and all-around glue guy. And possibly the long-term answer at small forward -- Trey Murphy III

18)Thunder (from Miami): This uber-talented combo guard with a 6'9" wingspan is a strong candidate for the annual 'How in the hell did he fall so far in the draft?' award -- Nah'shon Hyland

19)Knicks: With Rose heading for free-agency, Knicks land additional backcourt scoring and shot-creation -- Tre Mann

20)Hawks: Assuming he's cleared to play (health issues), this is his absolute floor, and a perfect fit -- Jared Butler

21)Knicks (from Dallas): A center tag-team of Mitchell Robinson and this selection, who has been compared with a budding Domantas Sabonis, could eventually create havoc for opposing teams -- Alperen Sengun

22)Lakers: As for the reasoning for this selection, I echo the previous sentiments of adkindo -- Miles McBride

23)Rockets (from Portland): While he didn't exactly set the world on fire during his lone NCAA season, there's no denying the upside of this 6'10 small forward -- Ziaire Williams

24)Rockets (from Milwaukee): It's not a stretch to suggest that this combo guard possesses lottery-level talent -- Ayo Dosunmu

25)Clippers: An often overlooked floor general with tremendous on-court leadership skills, who can distribute the ball to the right personnel at the right time -- Jason Preston

26)Nuggets: A pure shooter? No, A pure scorer? One of the best that this draft has to offer, and an asset to the Nuggets second unit -- Cameron Thomas

27)Nets: Fills two needs: Bench production and a possible replacement for the likely-departing Spencer Dinwiddie -- Jaden Springer

28)76ers: This floor-stretching, switchable defender at 6'9" with a 7'3" swingman presents an intriguing option (as well as another frontcourt gun) playing next to or behind Joel Embiid -- JT Thor

29)Suns: Local hero with eye-popping upside provides additional wing depth -- Josh Christopher

30)Jazz: The playoff loss to the Clippers exposed the lack of a floor-stretching, switchable defending stretch four. The Jazz address that issue here. And what's more, gain another rim-protector in the process -- Usman Garuba
    No Isaiah Jackson?

Daring choice, especially in that he shut down Combine work and hired an agent after an apparent 1st round promise.

Instead of doing a mock draft, I thought I'd go with 5 mock trades based around draft picks:

1. Cleveland trades Kevin Love, the third pick, and a future (protected) first rounder for John Wall and the second pick.
    Love plays the wing shooter and pairs nicely with Christian Wood in the front court (if he can stay healthy). Houston picks Green to pair with Porter in the backcourt. Both are clear upgrades. All it costs is Mobley, who's too similar to Wood for a perfect fit, and the unwanted and bloated contract of John Wall.

2. Toronto gets James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th, the 14th, and an lightly protected 1st round pick for Pascal Siakam and the 4th pick.
    In perhaps the biggest deal of the night, Toronto signals a complete rebuild, bringing in last year's number two pick and former top pick Wiggins, plus two high picks (a wing and a combo guard-- Mitchell and Murphy in my mock) for their All-NBA forward and the rights to Jalen Suggs. Warriors become instant contenders (assuming health).

3. Kings package Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley, and the 9th pick for OKC's Kemba Walker and the 18th pick.
    OKC needs shooting in the worst way imaginable, and Hield can provide that. They're also rebuilding and need talent. Bagley, for all his baggage, is that. The 9th pick is bonus for a team that was probably going to non-tender Walker anyway. (Now, the Kings will have to convince him to play-- which may be a chore.) The Kings-- selling low since 1957.

4. The Knicks package the 19th and 21st picks to move up to San Antonio's 12th pick.
    New York needs bodies and shooting, so they naturally move up in order to draft Isaiah Jackson, C from Kentucky. Sigh. The Spurs see the value and make the deal, though that mid-round spot has been kind to San Antonio often.

5. The Sixers deal the 28th pick, a future unprotected first rounder, and Ben Simmons for Dame Lillard.
    Biggest blockbuster on the day. Simmons moves to Portland (and changes positions) to strengthen their defense and help with ball movement. The 28th pick is incidental (as is the future pick, which will undoubtedly be in the late 20's), but helpful to build depth and maybe steal a guy who's dropped. (Bones Hyland, perhaps? Philly gets a lead ball handler and All-NBA guy who can win games nearly by himself. He won't play much D, but with the guys around him, he won't really need to, will he? Lillard makes Philly the team to beat in the East.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-09-2021 at 09:20 AM.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-09-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

No Isaiah Jackson?

Daring choice, especially in that he shut down Combine work and hired an agent after an apparent 1st round promise.
    Much depends, IMO, on Mobley. Specifically, if Houston passes on him. If so, the Rockets will assuredly go big with one of their later two picks. I also anticipate NY doing the same, ditto with OKC.

And given the value/ceilings of players available, I'm just not envisioning Charlotte or San Antonio going big, need be damned. But who knows?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I really like Isaiah Jackson. He reminds me of Kenneth Faried.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I really like Isaiah Jackson. He reminds me of Kenneth Faried.
    Don't care for his game, but it's certain he's got a 1st round promise some where.

I'm guessing Knicks, Rockets, or Nets.

(The Nets would be an ideal landing spot for him, IMO. He'd do none of the heavy lifting and focus only on blocking shots, playing defense, and providing energy. Harden knows all about that-- Jackson as Capela Lite is a nice fit that late.)

Who says no?

Orlando trades the #5, #33, and Terrence Ross to Golden State for the #7, James Wiseman and Jordan Poole.

Orlando looks to miss out on what they truly needed, the chance to draft Green, Cade, or Suggs. Barnes/Kuminga appears to be the pick but while both highly talented neither fit that star guard profile that the Magic desperately need. This trade gives them a potential star big in the making and the chance to draft two from that next level of prospects in the draft - Johnson, Bouknight, Mitchell, Kispert, Moody, Williams etc. If Orlando could come away from the draft with James Wiseman, Keon Johnson, Moses Moody, and Jordan Poole that would be quite the accomplishment.

Golden State would have to match salaries - Wiseman and Poole - to absorb Ross. They move up in the draft and take Scottie Barnes (if available - its likely) at #5 and add a veteran shooter off the bench in Ross. They also go from 4.5 and 3.0 million contract guarantees on the #7 and #14 to just 5.5 million on the #5, saving them 2 million. They then have the chance to draft a solid player at #33 (deep draft) without any contract guarantee. If they come away from the draft with Terrence Ross, Scottie Barnes, Zaire Williams, and Isaiah Jackson I think they're very happy. Barnes could contribute immediately off the bench, Williams has the size to provide minutes when others need rest/games off, and Jackson would be replacing Wiseman obviously with far less potential but still a very athletic and raw big. Ross would give Golden State the chance to create another nightmare lineup of Steph/Klay/Dray/Ross/Wiggins, plus Ross has the athleticism to get to the rack when the defense spreads itself to far.

The risk here for Orlando is Barnes becoming a superstar but Golden State is taking the same risk with Wiseman.

Turn Off Ads?