Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft

Re: 2021 NBA Draft

Well, I do not hate the Sixers draft. Really like Springer's overall game and both the 2nd-round bigs were productive in college. Petrusev doesn't appear to be a Euro-stash pick, so that's good if he's kept.

Edit: Reports now coming in that Petrusev will be a draft-and-stash. Ick.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 07-30-2021 at 01:12 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Likes:

goreds2 (08-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Knee-jerk (emphasis on jerk) reactions on draft night:

1. Raptors had an opportunity, then overthought it.
    Barnes should be a fine player. Suggs is better at just about everything on the basketball court. He's also a winner and as tough (and clutch) a competitor as you can find. You don't overthink that draft, but they did. Then, to compound matters, they drafted an extreme project (Dalano Banton) who's primary strength seems to be that he's Canadian and David Johnson, who was... fine... as a college player. None of the three of them can shoot much at all. I don't get it.

2. Clippers swung hard... and missed.
    Again, in a draft filled with shooter, LA managed to find three non-shooters in Keon Johnson, Jason Preston, and BJ Boston. For a team that knows the importance of shooting well, this draft was shocking.

3. Houston added some big-time upside pieces.
    Green might be the best scorer in the draft. Sengun showed the best low-post moves of anyone in the draft and arguably had the greatest season of anyone as well. Garuba might be the best defender. And Christopher might have the most speed from end to end (and is a sneaky great scorer himself). All four have All-Star potential. Really like the depth of quality pieces the Rockets were able to acquire.

4. Nets had low-key solid draft day...
    Brooklyn added a whole bunch of help via the Landry Shamet trade, then added Cam Thomas as instant offense off the bench and Day'Ron Sharpe as a PF/C prospect who'll get plenty of minutes. They later added a couple interesting pieces in the second round too-- defense-first Kessler Edwards and MCW's brother (really!) Marcus Zegarowski, a shooter from Creighton with underrated athleticism

5. ... But Detroit had the BEST draft day.
    Cade Cunningham is going to be very, very good. He might even be great-- and very soon. Hometown kid Livers, when he gets healthy, is probably a rotational 3 and D guy who might end up an elite shooter. Garza, as everybody's All-American, has already lost a ton of weight and is working on re-making himself as a rotation and glue guy. Guys that smart tend to carve out roles for themselves. The Pistons suddenly have lots of depth and at least a couple of big-time scorers. They might even hit .500 next year.

5. Likes:

M2 (07-30-2021)

I'm not very familiar with Mr. Bontemps' work but I like the cut of his jib here:

Bontemps: The Washington Wizards not only moved Russell Westbrook without having to give up a first-round pick, or take on bad money, but also netted a first-rounder in the deal. Just terrific work by general manager Tommy Sheppard, who turned arguably the worst contract in the league right now, John Wall, into long-term flexibility -- and did so without being at a draft-pick deficit. On the other hand for the Lakers, let's just say I don't think this is going to work out, as Westbrook heads to his fourth team in as many seasons.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ld-predictions
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

BillDoran (07-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, I do not hate the Sixers draft. Really like Springer's overall game and both the 2nd-round bigs were productive in college. Petrusev doesn't appear to be a Euro-stash pick, so that's good if he's kept.

Edit: Reports now coming in that Petrusev will be a draft-and-stash. Ick.
    And I would assume Bassey's taking Amtrak down one stop to Wilmington.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

SteelSD (07-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Mr. Bontemps' work but I like the cut of his jib here:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ld-predictions
    He use to be with WAPO.....has always had issues with the Lakers. He was a hater when they were winning 20 games a year with Jordan Clarkson, DLo and Randle. Not really related, but he has to go into the podcast HOF for the time he fell asleep on a podcast. He use to be a visiting contributor to Windhorst's ESPN NBA podcast with Pelton and others. Bontemps was in his hotel and literally fell asleep during the podcast....he was snoring to the point where they had the end the podcast.

I expect Westbrook to make a lot of the doubters look silly.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    He use to be with WAPO.....has always had issues with the Lakers. He was a hater when they were winning 20 games a year with Jordan Clarkson, DLo and Randle. Not really related, but he has to go into the podcast HOF for the time he fell asleep on a podcast. He use to be a visiting contributor to Windhorst's ESPN NBA podcast with Pelton and others. Bontemps was in his hotel and literally fell asleep during the podcast....he was snoring to the point where they had the end the podcast.

I like Russ and enjoyed having him play in DC for a year, but I do agree that Sheppard pulled off a nice piece of, umm, Wizardry with these moves.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

12. Likes:

BillDoran (07-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Me too. His constant urgency is something that will benefit that team.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Me too. His constant urgency is something that will benefit that team.
    And his need to have the ball in his hands will hurt them.

So will his nonexistent jumper.

Westbrook's going to win the Lakers some games, no doubt.

He'll lose them a few too.

The key is that the latter don't outweigh the former on a consistent basis.

Early in Washington, he was largely trash. Once he figured out how to play with Beal, they went on a monster tear.

He's a Jeckyll and Hyde guy, at this point in his career.

If they can get him to buy-in and wreck havoc without the ball in his hands, this could be great for the Lakers. Effectively, he needs to dial down his offensive usage while keeping his engine running at the same break-neck pace.

He's never done that and has never shown signs of doing anything on offense that doesn't generate stats. He plays bad defense and requires the ball on offense. If they could convince him to move without the basketball and generally de-ephasize scoring, he'd be an incredible No. 3 behind Bron and AD. Folks have been saying this for years though, and he hasn't changed a lick.

Throw in the natural decline--last year, he posted his second lowest WS/48 (rookie season) and his second lowest TS% (last OKC year)-- and the fact that he Lakers also will have absolutely no depth. It's going to be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    And his need to have the ball in his hands will hurt them.

So will his nonexistent jumper.

Westbrook's going to win the Lakers some games, no doubt.

He'll lose them a few too.

The key is that the latter don't outweigh the former on a consistent basis.

Early in Washington, he was largely trash. Once he figured out how to play with Beal, they went on a monster tear.

He's a Jeckyll and Hyde guy, at this point in his career.
    My thoughts are the Lakers remaining healthy is far more crucial than the fit issues of Russ. If those 3 can play 70ish games each next season, my worries are significantly less. Also a big key will be what type of player they can get with the TPMLE....they are hoping someone worth far more, and if they can S&T Schroder for something of value.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

17. Likes:

M2 (07-31-2021)

I think right there is the key part. He'll figure it out.

I think right there is the key part. He'll figure it out.
    Depending on Westbrook figuring it out is a fool's errand, largely.

Depending on Westbrook figuring it out is a fool's errand, largely.
    His teams are always good. I'd say depending on him to carry you in a playoffs is a fool's errand, but the Lakers have two other guys for that.

His teams are always good. I'd say depending on him to carry you in a playoffs is a fool's errand, but the Lakers have two other guys for that.
    If they ever get the ball.

If they ever get the ball.
    Serious question, who in NBA history has played with more 30+ ppg scorers than Russ? I think they'll get the ball.

Turn Off Ads?