Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NBA Draft

2021 NBA Draft

Draft Date: Thursday, July 29th

The current aggregate mock draft (as of 07/04) that compiles mock drafts from ESPN, NBADraft.net, CBS Sports, Bleacher Report, Yahoo, The Athletic, The Ringer, Yahoo and USA TODAY Sports Media Group’s For The Win is.....

1. Cade Cunningham
    2. Evan Mobley
    3. Jalen Green
    4. Jalen Suggs
    5. Jonathan Kuminga
    6. Scottie Barnes
    7. Keon Johnson
    8. Davion Mitchell
    9. Moses Moody
    10. Jalen Johnson
    11. Franz Wagner
    12. Josh Giddey
    13. Kai Jones
    14. Corey Kispert
    15. James Bouknight
    16. Cameron Thomas
    17. Ziaire Williams
    18. Alperen Sengun
    19. Isaiah Jackson
    20. Tre Mann
    21. Jaden Springer
    22. Chris Duarte
    23. Usman Garuba
    24. Sharife Cooper
    25. Jared Butler
    26. Ayo Dosunmu
    27. Greg Brown III
    28. Josh Christopher
    29. Charles Bassey
    30. Roko Prkacin
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 NBA Draft

As a Lakers fan and someone very interested in the Magic's rebuild, I am focused on picks #5 (Magic), #8 (Magic), and #22 (Lakers).

#5 - I really hope the Magic go against the near consensus in mocks and select Scottie Barnes instead of Kuminga. I think Barnes floor is so high that he is almost a can't miss selection and even has a chance to be the best player in this draft if his jump shot develops. Unlike most players, he should be a productive player in the NBA even if the jumper does not significantly improve.

#8 - Still undecided. Looking at Keon Johnson, Josh Giddey, and James Bouknight. Johnson is a raw athletic freak, Giddey a very young and talented 6'8" PG with massive upside, and Bouknight just has that "it" factor.

#22 - Almost every mock has Duarte @ #22. The thinking seems to be he is more ready to contribute on a team in a championship window. I am not against Duarte as long as the Lakers FO is selecting him for other reasons beyond him being older and "ready to contribute". I think that approach is flawed, and the focus in the draft should be obtaining a piece to put around an AD led Lakers team after Lebron exits. I like Tre Mann if he is on the board, but I would take a perceived risk and select Deuce McBride @ #22. Yes, I have a natural bias for the WVU guard, but I think his potential is lottery level and could be a steal @ #22 in retrospect.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-06-2021)

Five I Like More Than Most:
    - Chris Duarte, G Oregon
    Duarte is, IMO, the most underappreciated prospect in the draft. He's old. But he's a quality defender and knockdown shooter who's also long enough to play wing. He's a willing (and very good) rebounder, passes well, and doesn't try to do too much. He's a rotational player right now at worst with upside to be a first division starter. The only issue is that he's five years older than most prospects. Still, for the first four years of his contract, Duarte is likely to be a bargain.
    Best team fit: Milwaukee
    Worst team fit: Portland

- Tre Mann, G/F UF
    Another tall guard who could also bulk up a bit to play wing, Mann is more of a PG than Duarte. Mann is a three-position guy who can shoot and has the tools to defend. He's too loose with the ball, but should work really well as a third PG and tertiary playmaker and starting wing. (This assumes he gets stronger and decides to play consistent defense.) Good rebounder. If he doesn't play defense, he's Lou Williams. If he does, he's got shades of SGA.
    Best team fit: Los Angeles Clippers
    Worst team fit: Atlanta

- Franz Wagner, F Michigan
    I like Wagner more for his defense than his shot. I don't think his three-point shot is as broken as it occasionally appeared this season. (Low release is problematic, but he is, by all accounts, a hard worker.) Wagner's a hybrid forward who might also be able to play some center as he fills out. He's also an exceptional team defender who should stick on the floor for that alone. He can finish inside with a variety of moves. I think he's a contributor right away in short minutes and might be more as he fixes his shot.
    Best team fit: Sacramento
    Worst team fit: Detroit

- Davion Mitchell, G Baylor
    How can a top 10 pick be underrated? Mitchell is already a 3 and D guy, but he's being given a third echelon grade when, IMO, he needs to be considered ahead of Kuminga, Barnes, and that ilk. Mitchell is short but has long arms and is (IMO) the second-best one-on-one defender in the draft (barely behind Barnes). He's a superior team defender too and his shot is money. Great first step, great mid-game floater, and an extremely underrated passer. Mitchell is very good off the ball and on it. He's a primary ball handler who makes few mistakes and among the smartest in the draft. I think he has All-Star potential and will be a second-division starter from the get-go. Duarte's the better bargain, but Mitchell will have a better career. He's also old, however, and that seems to be the primary driver of most draftniks.
    Best team fit: Orlando
    Worst team fit: New Jersey

- Moses Moody, G/F Arkansas
    Moody was a beast in the SEC and IMO the best player in the league. He played offense and defense and was the driver of Arkansas' offense. His shooting percentages are deceptive because he was the late-clock guy who was charged with shooting tough shots with the ball in his hand. At the next level, I suspect he'll be more of a wing (and tertiary playmaker rather than primary) whose weapon will be that deep range. That said, he's got a good runner too. He's also got super long arms and a willingness to defend at a top level. Really likes him as a developmental prospect and as immediate help. That's pretty rare and should be recognized for its value.
    Best team fit: Dallas
    Worst team fit: San Antonio

Five I Like Less:
    - Scottie Barnes, F FSU
    Barnes will provide some value because his defense is smothering. Long arms and a willing passer, he's good at all the little things. But his jumper is broken. Like Michael Kidd Gilchrist before him, Barnes will have to completely redesign his jumper while trying to earn clock as... what exactly? A wing who can't be used on offense? What's more, he's going to have to gain serious weight and muscle even on the defensive end. Bigger wings will abuse him underneath. I think Barnes might develop into a solid player, but in this draft, he's overrated.
    Best team fit: Washington
    Worst team fit: OKC

- Jonathan Kuminga, F G League
    Kuminga has a ton of talent, but he's another wing with a questionable jumper. In today's NBA, that's one tool you have to have to stay on the floor. Kuminga's a PF at this point in his career who bulls his way to the basket. That worked in high school. But against grown men, as we saw last year in his poor G League season, it's a recipe for disaster.
    Best team fit: Indiana
    Worst team fit: New York Knicks

- Keon Johnson, G/F UT
    Johnson is getting some serious buzz for his outrageous physical tools. Yet he's another guy who just doesn't shoot well. Like Barnes above him, Johnson should be able to defend multiple positions well. Like Barnes above, he's got to redesign his shot completely. Unlike Barnes, Johnson is a turnover waiting to happen. He'll need at least a couple seasons to flesh out his game, and teams in the lottery will need him on the floor. That's a difficult situation to be in.
    Best team fit: Toronto
    Worst team fit: Denver

- Isaiah Jackson, F/C UK
    With a little work, he's Nerlens Noel. Which is a difference-maker defensively with time and fit. The issue, of course, is who needs a guy who can give you what Jackson can. You can find guys like Jackson (without some of the upside, admittedly) on every team-- rim-running centers with solid defense acumen who need to gain weight and/or learn the intricacies of the professional game. He has no range, relatively poor hands, but massive athleticism. Might play for 15 years, but might not get 15 starts.
    Best team fit: Charlotte
    Worst team fit: Golden State

- Sharife Cooper, PG AU
    Cooper is the exact kind of prospect I don't understand. He's short enough that it's an extreme liability. He makes up for that, in the college game, by flying around everyone. Great court vision, he turns the ball over a ton but has a bunch of assists too. But Cooper's jumper is horrible. At best, he's going to be a drive-the-ball-and-kick bench PG with massive holes in his game defensively, on the boards, and (in his case) from anywhere outside of three feet. Even three feet in, he's going to have to re-learn how to attack the basket. I just don't see what he offers beyond ball handling.
    Best team fit: Denver
    Worst team fit: Minnesota
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-05-2021 at 12:09 PM.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-08-2021),M2 (07-05-2021),membengal (07-06-2021)

The thing that's going to get underrated and then after the draft we're all going to smack our heads like we should have had a V-8 is shooting. Tre Mann, Chris Duarte and Jared Butler are going to feel like steals. Almost every team in basketball could use Moses Moody.

Oh, and whoever picks Jalen Johnson loses the draft.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-05-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like Johnson in the right spot.

A veteran team like Utah, with good shooters and leadership would make him a weapon as a tertiary ballhandler while letting him learn on the job. He's Joe Ingles Lite at this point. Memphis would be a great spot too.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I like Johnson in the right spot.

A veteran team like Utah, with good shooters and leadership would make him a weapon as a tertiary ballhandler while letting him learn on the job. He's Joe Ingles Lite at this point. Memphis would be a great spot too.
    He quit on his team...tough hurdle to get over with the NBA players.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

As a Dayton Flyers fan, obviously I watch a lot of A-10 basketball. Nah’shon Hyland is not mentioned here, but could very well be a Top 20 pick. He reminds me a bit of Immanuel Quickley.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-06-2021)

Cavs fan here. They are gonna get a really good player here Hoping Mobley somehow falls to them but I'd be happy with one of the Jalen's. We should be able to make that work. I'm not convince about Okoro or Allen.

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Cavs fan here. They are gonna get a really good player here Hoping Mobley somehow falls to them but I'd be happy with one of the Jalen's. We should be able to make that work. I'm not convince about Okoro or Allen.
    I really like Allen. He needs to be given the longest of leashes to see what he's capable of. (Still hasn't been provided that opportunity.) I think he has some upside left, including a solid-looking outside shot that may top out at 37% if everything goes right. Add that to his rebounding, defensive capabilities (still not scratched the surface there, IMO), and underrated passing, and he's already a top-15 center with All-Star potential, for sure.

Mobley can play next to Allen with little issue. In fact, I'd argue that's just about the perfect pairing. (Add Love to the mix as the PF/C hybrid between the two, and Cleveland's frontcourt should prove more than capable.)

Okoro, I share your concerns. (Sexton and Garland too, fwiw.)

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-08-2021)

The thing that's going to get underrated and then after the draft we're all going to smack our heads like we should have had a V-8 is shooting. Tre Mann, Chris Duarte and Jared Butler are going to feel like steals. Almost every team in basketball could use Moses Moody.

Did Butler ever get medical clearance?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I love Jalen Johnson's game, but quitting on your team is bad. Very bad. If he falls into the 20s, the Rockets should nab him.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Did Butler ever get medical clearance?
    Panel hasn't ruled yet, but he's been cleared by similar panels at the college level.

Panel hasn't ruled yet, but he's been cleared by similar panels at the college level.
    It is his back, right?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

If Green and Suggs are both gone at #5 (as they should be) and Mobley and Cunningham are the other two top 4 picks (as they should be) then I hope we take Barnes. With that being said we need to find a knockdown 3P shooter at #8. Duarte would be nice. It might be too high to pick Mann who would be undersized a bit at the 2 and we are currently flush with ball handlers but as a UF fan I can tell you that kid just gets buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    It is his back, right?
    Heart condition.

Turn Off Ads?