Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
Who says no?

Orlando trades the #5, #33, and Terrence Ross to Golden State for the #7, James Wiseman and Jordan Poole.

Orlando looks to miss out on what they truly needed, the chance to draft Green, Cade, or Suggs. Barnes/Kuminga appears to be the pick but while both highly talented neither fit that star guard profile that the Magic desperately need. This trade gives them a potential star big in the making and the chance to draft two from that next level of prospects in the draft - Johnson, Bouknight, Mitchell, Kispert, Moody, Williams etc. If Orlando could come away from the draft with James Wiseman, Keon Johnson, Moses Moody, and Jordan Poole that would be quite the accomplishment.

Golden State would have to match salaries - Wiseman and Poole - to absorb Ross. They move up in the draft and take Scottie Barnes (if available - its likely) at #5 and add a veteran shooter off the bench in Ross. They also go from 4.5 and 3.0 million contract guarantees on the #7 and #14 to just 5.5 million on the #5, saving them 2 million. They then have the chance to draft a solid player at #33 (deep draft) without any contract guarantee. If they come away from the draft with Terrence Ross, Scottie Barnes, Zaire Williams, and Isaiah Jackson I think they're very happy. Barnes could contribute immediately off the bench, Williams has the size to provide minutes when others need rest/games off, and Jackson would be replacing Wiseman obviously with far less potential but still a very athletic and raw big. Ross would give Golden State the chance to create another nightmare lineup of Steph/Klay/Dray/Ross/Wiggins, plus Ross has the athleticism to get to the rack when the defense spreads itself to far.

The risk here for Orlando is Barnes becoming a superstar but Golden State is taking the same risk with Wiseman.
I do not do it if I am Orlando because I think Wiseman's ceiling is a really good role player. Non-elite centers have such limited value, especially when they are not surrounded by elite talent. I can see Wiseman being good with a healthy Steph and Klay, but a less impactful player with Orlando's roster. Also, I really like Barnes.