Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Suarez needs to go!!

Re: Suarez needs to go!!

When Suarez came in to pinch hit i literally said a few cuss words. I saw a few old guys sitting in the diamond seats and thought we would be as well off with one of them at the plate. I wasn't wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm coming around to giving Lopez and Schrock 3B for a while and see what happens. Why wait for Senzel?
    Because the Reds have had Lopez and Schrock. And continued to play Suarez. That’s why Senzel is the focal point of the discussion, he’s a starting player, and his return may prompt a change.

4. Likes:

mth123 (07-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The exit velocity stats between now and where he was in recent years tells the story for me. The shoulder is still damaged and he’s not at full strength. There’s no shame in admitting it… I’m surprised we haven’t just phantom dl’d him…. Maybe that will happen with moose is back. I think he’s so well respected and beloved in the clubhouse that he has been given so much rope.

But the guy needs to be out if the lineup. He’s hurting the team and it us probably killing him mentally. He needs to focus on getting back to full strength physically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think what scares me is that because its been like 16 months from the surgery and he's only gotten worse as time goes on is that this could just be who he is now, with a shoulder that's shot and no real potential for a rebound.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-29-2021),Tony Cloninger (07-25-2021)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Suarez is responsible for 29.5% of the total amount LOB for the Reds this season.

His OBP is 101 points lower than 2019 and 55 points lower than 2020. He's also on pace to break his own strikeout record of 2019. 2019 was the year he led baseball in K's.

They should have traded him last year in a package for a SS. I have feeling Kroll is in over his head.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-26-2021),Tony Cloninger (07-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I think what scares me is that because its been like 16 months from the surgery and he's only gotten worse as time goes on is that this could just be who he is now, with a shoulder that's shot and no real potential for a rebound.
    Yep that has crossed my mind too.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Everyone points to the shoulder, and that certainly could be it, but it's worth pointing out it wasn't exactly a reconstructive procedure he had done. The initial prognosis was he had a chance to be back in time for Opening Day 2020 until COVID made that a moot point. Personally, I think it's more likely due to the HR or bust approach he took around the time of the 49 home runs, and the position change could have had something to do with it, too.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-26-2021),GAC (07-26-2021),RedsFanInMS (07-26-2021),SErebel11 (07-26-2021),Strikes Out Looking (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Everyone points to the shoulder, and that certainly could be it, but it's worth pointing out it wasn't exactly a reconstructive procedure he had done. The initial prognosis was he had a chance to be back in time for Opening Day 2020 until COVID made that a moot point. Personally, I think it's more likely due to the HR or bust approach he took around the time of the 49 home runs, and the position change could have had something to do with it, too.
    I have thought about that too… but I would think the exit velocity would still be good the odd time he does make contact, but it’s declining bad.

I think with a shoulder sap, and lack of desire to change strategy, he’s really just got the wrong approach for his ability right now.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So you play Senzel at 3B and Shogo's .506 OPS in CF?
    My comment was solely centered around Suarez' bad performance this season. Lets take one bad performer at a time LOL

When's the last time Senzel played 3B? Can we get him healthy first? I like Nick. Tough breaks in his young career. But I'd part ways with him if I could get something out of him as part of a trade deal. Fresh start for both. And I've already expressed my thoughts on the Shogo contract.

When I look at the construction of this '21 team - the struggles and decline in our pitching, especially bullpen. Key offensive producers, players we are dependent upon, on/off the DL - while I'm enjoying it, I'm also utterly amazed they're above .500 and only 6 1/2 back of the Brewers (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    And I think you nailed it Boss. HRs are sexy!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The exit velocity stats between now and where he was in recent years tells the story for me. The shoulder is still damaged and he’s not at full strength. There’s no shame in admitting it… I’m surprised we haven’t just phantom dl’d him…. Maybe that will happen with moose is back. I think he’s so well respected and beloved in the clubhouse that he has been given so much rope.

But the guy needs to be out if the lineup. He’s hurting the team and it us probably killing him mentally. He needs to focus on getting back to full strength physically.

What I can't reconcile is if it's the health of his shoulder sapping his power how does he still have 18 HRs, including a 441 foot HR? It seems like his max strength is unchanged and the issues are with maintaining consistently good exit velocity on all of his contact...

16. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What I can't reconcile is if it's the health of his shoulder sapping his power how does he still have 18 HRs, including a 441 foot HR? It seems like his max strength is unchanged and the issues are with maintaining consistently good exit velocity on all of his contact...
    His pitch selection and recognition seem to have totally fallen off. I'd peg it being on the mental strain of the prolonged slump having him in a total funk or needing to get his eyes checked being as likely as the shoulder still bothering him.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-27-2021),mth123 (07-26-2021),wlf WV (07-26-2021)

Appears to me that he's simply a guess hitter now and not a very good one.

When - if ever - Moose is back full time, I would platoon him and Suarez at third. Helps ease Moose back in and lets Geno only face lefties. Or try Senzel there against lefties. Either say, Suarez needs to sit A LOT more once we have the coverage.

20. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-26-2021)

Well at this point he's been allowed to bat 5th all year long behind guys like India/Winker/Cast and Votto...who all have some elite to really good OBP numbers. So the dude has left a ton of runs out there while putting up the worst hitting numbers in all of national league. Even last night we had a chance to blow the game wide open in the 5th with bases loaded and no outs and we did get 2 runs to go up 5-3 but that could have easily been a 2-3 more runs. And when Suarez was up...he failed miserably yet again.

There is a case he should have been benched by now....but what is even more head scratching is why do we bat him in the 5 hole still. The 2 headed catcher duo is easily a better option head of Suarez. But we're caught in this "he's established and we need to let him work thru it" mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Suarez also has the worst WAR on the team at -1.1. His OPS with RISP is .559 so that tells me he should have about 70 RBI instead of 49.
    Geno has somehow managed to double(in reverse) his WAR over the past 3 weeks to -2.2. The MLB record for lowest WAR in a single season is -4.0.

RE shoulder issues. With pitchers with shoulder issues, one of the first signs is that they have problems maintaining their arm slot and often drop to a lower arm angle. I wonder if the the shoulder issue is causing inconsistency in Suarez's swing. It would not be that his power is sapped but his ability to repeat his swing is hindered.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-27-2021),Patrick Bateman (07-27-2021),Powder River (07-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?