Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Suarez needs to go!!

Re: Suarez needs to go!!

Last night is why Suarez is still in the lineup. Pop.

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-11-2021),goreds2 (07-11-2021),mth123 (07-11-2021),Ron Madden (07-11-2021),TexasRedsFan (07-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    That is one of the longest Oppo HR's I have seen in a long time...good sign.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (07-11-2021),Indymoon (07-11-2021),Ron Madden (07-11-2021),wlf WV (07-11-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    What does make the over/under on how many guys he will leave on base today?

7. Likes:

mth123 (07-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    On the replay, he did a funny "blink" while watching it before he dropped the bat.....almost like he could not believe how far it was going. Btw, that was one of the worst HR calls I have ever heard on a national broadcast for a go ahead HR late in a game.....as I have heard announcers get more excited over an infield single in the Top of the 1st Inning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Depends.....how many guys will get on base before he bats? Likely answer is take that number and divide it by 1.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Buster Olney
    @Buster_ESPN
    If you're looking for a bounce-back player in the second half, Eugenio Suarez is a strong candidate. Dead last in the majors in BABIP, suggesting he's been unlucky to a high degree. https://fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-11-2021),DocRed (07-11-2021),goreds2 (07-11-2021)

This thread title needs changed to "Suarez needs to golf" That home run last night looked like a drive to the right by Bryson DeChambeau.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (07-11-2021)

I hope so, but his LD% is also way down the last few years. So I'm not sure he's hitting it well. His hard his rate is also down a lot. Needs to make better contact if BABIP is going to improve.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    I hope so, but his LD% is also way down the last few years. So I'm not sure he's hitting it well. His hard his rate is also down a lot. Needs to make better contact if BABIP is going to improve.
    Yeah that’s a pretty wildly reductive and lazy take by Olney there, turns out if you can’t actually hit the ball well at all you’re not gonna have a great BABIP

15. Likes:

Playadlc (07-11-2021),Tom Servo (07-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Yeah, BABIP has since been left in the dust by statcast in terms of determining how lucky a hitter has been. And statcast tells us that while Suarez has been unlucky so far, he isn’t likely to bounce back too far. It has his xBA at .212 and his xWOBA at .315. Obviously better than he’s hitting right now, but well below his career average of .344 wOBA.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    There’s weaker links in the lineup than Suarez, who will lead this team in HRs soon.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-11-2021)

There’s weaker links in the lineup than Suarez, who will lead this team in HRs soon.
    The question is how willing one is to live with all the outs, in order to get the occasional long ball.

In the past, power hitters like Adam Duvall have been frowned upon by some because of the low on base ability. Yet I’m not sure any such hitter on Reds has been a regular with Suarez’ BA of .175 and OBP of .256.

The trade off is summarized by composite stats. OPS, for example, includes both SLG and OBP. Suarez is at .628, which is quite low.

There are arguments to keep starting him, including his power potential and his pre-2020 prowess. He plays pretty well at third, some errors but he’s moving well this year.

The issue will be pressed as guys like Senzel and hopefully Moose return.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-11-2021 at 07:16 PM.

20. Likes:

Gary Redus (07-12-2021),RiverRat13 (07-11-2021)

Yep. The one thing he does well really helps the team, even if it happens less frequent than we'd all like. As long as he's kept lower in the batting order, I can live with it.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (07-11-2021)

I still think it was a stupid move to start him at shortstop this year. Messed up his karma.

24. Likes:

Indymoon (07-11-2021)

I think people are too blinded by the home runs. As much as Suarez is striking out and stranding runners he needs to have 30+ at this point. Seems like he hits a homer just enough to keep from riding the bench. One night he will go 2-4 with a homer and the next 2 go 0-4 stranding a dozen runners in the process. It's pretty bad when he comes to the plate and it's shocking if he gets a hit.

How much salary would the Reds have to eat to get rid of Suarez? His fall off of the cliff just dosentdosent make sense. Does he have an injury or is his head just messed up? He could make some team a good project if they were willing to take a gamble. The Reds have too many gambles right now.

Turn Off Ads?