Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: 2021 Draft Day 1 Thread

Re: 2021 Draft Day 1 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Oh, that's right. And Kyle Muller went right after him. Gawd, what an awful pick he was.
    All I know is that Buckley is gone and that’s a plus. His judgment or whoever he had scouting for him was bad. If they’re doing it the same way ok since the 2nd pick sounds like a more tools oriented KevinFranklin. But at least have better scouting/development.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    He’s technically a redshirt Sophomore, because of the expanded eligibility of the Covid season. But he played 3 full seasons at FSU

He ops’d 1.210 as a C in the ACC, won all sorts of awards. Doubt he’ll come at a discount.
    I talked to someone last night who was sitting in another teams draft room and he said there was zero reason to take him there unless it was to save money. It was an overreach big time otherwise. Now obviously he could be wrong and the Reds know something no one else knows but it makes the most sense.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I talked to someone last night who was sitting in another teams draft room and he said there was zero reason to take him there unless it was to save money. It was an overreach big time otherwise. Now obviously he could be wrong and the Reds know something no one else knows but it makes the most sense.
    I'm not in love with the pick, but Nelson was listed as a top-40 prospect by a number of "experts". Reds took him at 35.I think he'll go slightly underslot and the savings will go to McLean and/or Allen.

Not seeing how it's an "overreach big time" or an overreach at all. Some don't like the pick, that is fine. I think the Reds appear to have had a plan and Nelson fit nicely within that plan.

5. Likes:

DocRed (07-12-2021)

Nelson is a good defender with a plus arm and had a higher OPS than the #1 overall pick Henry Davis. I get the swing and miss concerns but these days I think ppl make too much of it. I like the pick for a premium defensive position. Plus I'm not sold at Ty being the answer behind the plate. I think he would be better suited at 1b. You can never have enough up the middle defenders IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I like the pick. They’re gambling on Nelson’s power potential. A mature catcher who can hit the long ball has value.

There are other catchers in the org, but Nelson’s a well-rated prospect and at minimum could have trade value if he puts up some power numbers in the minors. Good defender apparently, a true catcher, always in need around MLB.
    The Reds system desperately needs catchers who are actual prospects. There's a dearth there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

8. Likes:

DocRed (07-12-2021)

After the 2nd day most experts have the reds as a top 10 draft, some top 5. I think if they had used that pick on an arm instead of Nelson they would be top 2 or 3.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Reds have a huge need at catcher. Kolosvary was on fire in May. But now in June and July he is hitting below .200. Yang is below .200 for the year. Nelson will immediately become our #1 catching prospect and if he succeeds would allow Stephenson to eventually play 1b.
    Plus this is baseball. Not too long ago the Reds had a 26 year old catcher with solid D and a 146 OPS+ and years of control. We're set, right?

Next 4 years combined he had only 545 often injured PAs and hit .206/.297/.356. Devin Mesoraco hasn't had a plate appearance in MLB since then.
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 07-12-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think the Reds are looking to load up on C's as they'll need one to replace Tucker in 2 years. Stephenson will be manning 1B full time by then.

I like the pick of a C here even though i know little about him If he was the best C available, even better.
    Tommy Tostado drafted mike pritza as a favor in the 62nd round he became a real big league ball buster as catchers

Turn Off Ads?