Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Draft Day 2 Thread

2021 Draft Day 2 Thread

So, who we picking?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2021 Draft Day 2 Thread

Doug Nikhazy was flying up draft boards in recent weeks. If he's there, grab him. I'm also bullish on Mikulski. And I wouldn't mind a boom/bust selection like Fabian.

Undrafteds here: https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/2021/undrafted
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I want Connor Norby from ECU
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

NC Reds (07-12-2021)

I would hit arms today, but, frankly, and it is weird to say this, I kinda trust our draft and development group right now and am happy just to see how it unfolds. I really liked the first two picks on Day 1, had the same "okey-no" instant reaction to the pick at 36 but will get over that.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

If there's a college arm they like sitting there at #53, that would be my pick. Tommy Mace worked with Driveline last summer, so I'm guessing the Reds have a fully formed opinion of him.

Josh Baez and Wes Kath are interesting prep players still on the board.

Also, given the insane number of prep shortstops on the board, might make sense to grab one of those with one of today's picks. McLain should head straight to A or A+ ball. So they'll have a place for the kid in Arizona.
    Last edited by M2; 07-12-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

klw (07-12-2021)

Top 100 picks:
    I like Mikulski and Andrew Abbott as senior draftee pitchers. Mikulski, we know about. Big-time stuff, questionable mechanics, but he seems to make them work. Abbott has experience as a closer and was among the best starters in the ACC this season. He's a small lefty, but his stuff is good. Like that gamble.

I really like HS SS Alex Mooney. Good hit tool, great body, power potential. He's old for HS, so his numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. He's performed well against top competition throughout high school. I like the body type and production and think he might stick at SS (at least for awhile).

Connor Norby is a Blake Trahan type/ Blandino type-- hard-nosed utility guy who might be interesting because of his hit tool.

Peyton Stovall has a 60 hit tool, but isn't likely to stick at SS. Reminds me of Tyler Callihan, who is my favorite Red prospect right now.

Top 150:
    Parker Chavers is an older (23) senior OF who's interesting as a depth pick that might pop due to his power/ speed combination.

Cooper Bowman is a Louisville Cardinal who has great wheels and a good idea at the plate. He played SS in JC before transferring to UofL, played 2B at Louisville and profiles to be a good CF as well.

Joe Rock (Ohio) has two above average pitches, deception, and a nascent changeup. He's a lefty too. I think he might end up a pretty solid relief arm.

Seth Lonsway (OSU) has a Barry Zito curve and no idea how to control anything. (I suspect Boddy could do something with his delivery that would make him really intriguing as a reliever.)

Dru Baker (Texas Tech) can hit (55 hit tool), but has no defensive home. On the plus side, he's speedy too. A move to CF or 2B would make sense.

Top 200
    Dick Fitts has a top five name. Beyond that, he's a mid 90s guy with two promising offs peed pitches who's pitched on the biggest stages in college baseball. A foot injury has led to people forgetting about his stuff. Could well be a steal.

Joshua Stewart is a HS pitcher with stuff that's hit-or-miss, but has been up to 95 mph. His slider is good. Might be sneaky good as a HS arm.

Damiano Palmegiani also has a first-round name. He has big-time power and unleashed in Junior College last year. 19 HR, 14 steals, more BBs than Ks, an .890 slugging percentage-- and 25 errors. He's the only guy I've ever seen with a higher slugging percentage than fielding percentage. But I love that bat. A move to 1B or LF (has a 55 arm at least) is in order, but I think he can be a sleeper.

10. Likes:

Kc61 (07-12-2021),Redeyecat (07-12-2021),UKFlounder (07-12-2021)

The Reds have drafted Mace once before, they should definitely know what he is.

12. Likes:

klw (07-12-2021)

Day 2 wish list...

Joshua Baez
    Matt Mikulski
    Connor Norby
    Will Taylor
    Jaden Hill
    James Wood

14. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-12-2021)

Assuming everyone is still available:

2. Andrew Abbott
    3. Alex Mooney
    4. Peyton Stovall
    5. Parker Chavers
    6. Joe Rock
    7. Dru Baker
    8. Dick Fitts
    9. Damiano Palmegiani
    10. Seth Lonsway

16. Likes:

DocRed (07-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Top 100 picks:

Seth Lonsway (OSU) has a Barry Zito curve and no idea how to control anything. (I suspect Boddy could do something with his delivery that would make him really intriguing as a reliever.)

A former Reds draftee IIRC.

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-12-2021)

Chase Burns would be my first pick of the day if available. If not then probably Stovall or Baez.

Jud Fabian's definitely going in the second, right?

Or is his drop going to be prolific?

21. Likes:

DocRed (07-12-2021)

Number of HS pitchers still available fairly high up on the lists. Ben Kudrna is one, but it seems to be a fairly well-stocked group.

Usually prefer college hurlers but could be an opportunity for Reds to snag one at 53.

You’re going to see quite a few excellent high school players fall due too simple signability issues, not enough pool space to buy some of these young men out of their college commitments. With smaller drafts, less high school draftees is expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Jud Fabian's definitely going in the second, right?

Or is his drop going to be prolific?
    His swing and miss would scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds have drafted Mace once before, they should definitely know what he is.

And we are underway:

solometo to Pirates
    Zavala to Texas
    Last edited by klw; 07-12-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Turn Off Ads?