Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Draft Day 2 Thread

Re: 2021 Draft Day 2 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i'm not used to a draft where the reds draft the best player available and don't do weird things. i like this.
    Well, here's Jose Torres to confound you.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-12-2021),timmy9985 (07-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

sooooo looks like the reds do not think mclain will stick at SS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Well, here's Jose Torres to confound you.
    i mean, he was ranked higher than where he was drafted, but you're not wrong.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/jose-torres-686958

Born in the Dominican Republic, Torres ranked as the best prep prospect in Maryland in 2019. He's the third high-profile shortstop to come out of North Carolina State in recent years, following first-rounders Trea Turner (2014) and Will Wilson (2019), but he's a different style of player. He's Draft-eligible as a second-year collegian because he'll be nearly 22 on Draft day.

Torres is the rare college shortstop whom scouts are convicted will play the position in the big leagues. He has smooth actions and covers plenty of ground at short despite fringy pure speed. He has soft, quick hands, not to mention a plus arm and advanced instincts.

Torres has a loose right-handed swing with bat speed and a projectable frame, giving him some deceptive pop, and his ninth-inning homer off Arkansas ace Kevin Kopps in the super regionals sent the Wolfpack to the College World Series. He can get overly aggressive at the plate, though he has done a better job of making consistent contact this spring. He's not much of a factor on the bases.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-12-2021),Redeyecat (07-12-2021)

sooooo looks like the reds do not think mclain will stick at SS.

- - - Updated - - -

i mean, he was ranked higher than where he was drafted, but you're not wrong.
    The drafting of Jose Torres means absolutely nothing with regard to the future of McLain.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds kinda like a poor man’s Zach Cozart
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

Benihana (07-12-2021),Coopdaddy67 (07-12-2021),Gallen5862 (07-12-2021),ochoa30 (07-12-2021),OGB (07-13-2021),Plus Plus (07-12-2021),Redeyecat (07-12-2021),SErebel11 (07-12-2021),Tom Servo (07-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The drafting of Jose Torres means absolutely nothing with regard to the future of McLain.
    explain your reasoning. i disagree, but i'm listening.

reds drafted a college SS with the #17 overall pick. then take a college SS with the #89 pick. one could assume that they don't believe mclain will stick at SS, otherwise, why two college SS with the first few picks?

but whatever, i like this best-player-available strategy. i'm a fan of the reds' draft so far.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 07-12-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Reds aren’t filling out a 2024 lineup card. Drafting different players with different skill sets. Years away from worrying about exactly how it all fits together.

I like the Torres pick because, as we’ve learned this year, you can never have enough depth at shortstop, especially guys who actually play the position. Happy so far, would like to see more pitching as we go forward.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-12-2021 at 02:37 PM.

11. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (07-12-2021),mth123 (07-13-2021),OGB (07-13-2021)

reds drafted a college SS with the #17 overall pick. then take a college SS with the #89 pick. one could assume that they don't believe mclain will stick at SS, otherwise, why two college SS with the first few picks?

but whatever, i like this best-player-available strategy. i'm a fan of the reds' draft so far.
    My reasoning is that this is not the NFL draft

13. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-13-2021),Coopdaddy67 (07-12-2021),mth123 (07-13-2021),OGB (07-13-2021),Plus Plus (07-12-2021),RiverRat13 (07-12-2021),Tom Servo (07-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds aren’t filling out a 2024 lineup card. Drafting different players with different skill sets. Years away from worrying about exactly how it all fits together.

I like the Torres pick because, as we’ve learned this year, you can never have enough depth at shortstop, especially guys who actually play the position. Happy so far, would like to see a bit more pitching as we go forward.
    i realize this, and i like the pick too. i'm all about taking the best player available.

but it does make me wonder if the reds are not convinced mclain is a shortstop. that's all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My reasoning is that this is not the NFL draft
    ok, good talk.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-12-2021)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Having extra SS would be considered a good thing. Same as catchers.

Cincy traded a surplus young SS for Danny Jackson.

They traded a spare C for Matt Latos.

No sane team would bypass a SS just because they have one in the system. One of our best prospects is a SS.

Means nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

mth123 (07-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Having extra SS would be considered a good thing. Same as catchers.

Cincy traded a surplus young SS for Danny Jackson.

They traded a spare C for Matt Latos.

No sane team would bypass a SS just because they have one in the system. One of our best prospects is a SS.

Means nothing.

i agree with all of this. just after taking a college SS in the first round, was a bit taken aback they took a college SS in the third round. again, like the pick though. why? good value. he was projected higher than where the reds got him.

thorn

I see a lot of high ranked HS guys left, I wonder when we will see them start coming off the board?

i agree with all of this. just after taking a college SS in the first round, was a bit taken aback they took a college SS in the third round. again, like the pick though. why? good value. he was projected higher than where the reds got him.
    This is why:

McLain will likely be a level above Torres at minimum. Unless he falls flat on his face, and if he does who cares. The odds of both of these guys making the majors as starting SS’s is extremely low. If the reds hit on both and they are both starting caliber MLB SS, you figure it out then. For the time being develop both as SS, literally does not matter.

21. Likes:

mth123 (07-13-2021),RedsfaninMT (07-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    No sane team would bypass a SS just because they have one in the system.

So you are saying the 1992 Cincinnati Reds were insane?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

cincy09 (07-12-2021)

Stop worrying about positions, they're meaningless right now. A lot of guys are labeled something in the draft but never actually end up there. Fact is, the Reds have drafted two guys with a lot of positional flexibility that could potentially end up at SS. If they hit, they'll find a place on the diamond to play.

25. Likes:

Benihana (07-12-2021),Mitri (07-12-2021),RedsfaninMT (07-12-2021)

That’s true, although Torres is definitely a shortstop. His calling card is his defense at the position
    Go BLUE!!!

27. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?