Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Draft Tracker and signing updates

Re: 2021 MLB Draft Tracker and signing updates

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Per Rotoworld:

“Jim Callis of MLB.com says that McLain's bonus will be $4.625 million, which is more than $1 million more than the slot value for the No. 17 pick of $3.6097 million. The former UCLA Bruin is viewed as a potential fast-mover and should be able to stick at shortstop.”
    If Callis is right, I was totally wrong in guessing his bonus. That's a bunch of coin to pay for the 17th pick, no matter how far he fell.

2. Likes:

UKFlounder (07-26-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Wow.

Wow. Wonder if they “pre-agreed” to that after the 11th or 12th pick and that greased the skids for the slide?
    Go BLUE!!!

6. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-26-2021)

So everyone signs except the #20 pick, Rivera. Can they still sign him without penalty, or is all the money gone?

EDIT: Never mind. It’s the 11th pick yet to sign: Shawn Guilliams
    Last edited by MikeS21; 07-27-2021 at 06:47 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Wow. Wonder if they “pre-agreed” to that after the 11th or 12th pick and that greased the skids for the slide?
    You have to think there was some of that. McClain was a surefire 10-15 guy, Reds likely told McClain's people they could get him that extra $1M if he shook off any team kicking the tires just ahead of them. Love it.

9. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-28-2021)

Say what you want about him, but Scott Boras gets his clients paid.

Does the above slot amount create any penalties for the Reds?

They went a total of $432,600 over slot. The penalty is 75%, so they'll pay a tax of $324,450.

13. Likes:

UKFlounder (07-27-2021)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    They went a total of $432,600 over slot. The penalty is 75%, so they'll pay a tax of $324,450.

15. Likes:

Danny Serafini (07-27-2021)

@KenDavidoff
    · 50m
    Good afternoon. The #Mets' agreement with their top draft pick Kumar Rocker is in limbo after the team expressed concerns about Rocker's pitching elbow. Here is our story: https://bit.ly/3zMPx0l
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I never quite understand this. A healthy percentage of contemporary pitchers will have elbow surgery at one point or another.

Of course, it's not ideal. Nobody wants to buy damaged goods, but neither would anyone bat an eye if if Rocker, Mackenzie Gore or Nick Lodolo announced elbow surgery tomorrow. To some degree, it's to be expected.

Seems more like a questionable negotiating ploy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I never quite understand this. A healthy percentage of contemporary pitchers will have elbow surgery at one point or another.

Of course, it's not ideal. Nobody wants to buy damaged goods, but neither would anyone bat an eye if if Rocker, Mackenzie Gore or Nick Lodolo announced elbow surgery tomorrow. To some degree, it's to be expected.

Seems more like a questionable negotiating ploy to me.
    Injuries are a factor in negotiations. Can’t expect the team to ignore it.

If the pitcher had no injury history, a perfect model of health, wouldn’t his agent be entitled to raise that in negotiations?
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Injuries are a factor in negotiations. Can’t expect the team to ignore it.

If the pitcher had no injury history, a perfect model of health, wouldn’t his agent be entitled to raise that in negotiations?
    No, I don't think it'd earn the player an extra dime. Because that past health doesn't predict future health.

Again, elbow surgeries are so pervasive and full recovery so common that they're almost to be expected at this point.

There's a deeper point about pitching, unnatural motions and dealing with injuries that's likely impossible to appropriately address, but even rubber-armed Tim Lincecum was average by 28. Wear and tear happens to pitchers, at likely incalculably different rates for different guys. And unless there is rock solid data on Rocker's situation predicting worse future production, I think it's crappy leverage for organizations, because surgery isn't what the career death knell it once was.

And I don't think "just because organizations have used this leverage in the past" is particularly convincing.

I'm sensing we're not going to agree on this, so save some damning stats on performance post-Tommy John, I'll just leave it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Typical cheap Reds.

21. Likes:

BillDoran (07-27-2021),camisadelgolf (07-30-2021),Mitri (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    No, I don't think it'd earn the player an extra dime. Because that past health doesn't predict future health.

Again, elbow surgeries are so pervasive and full recovery so common that they're almost to be expected at this point.

There's a deeper point about pitching, unnatural motions and dealing with injuries that's likely impossible to appropriately address, but even rubber-armed Tim Lincecum was average by 28. Wear and tear happens to pitchers, at likely incalculably different rates for different guys. And unless there is rock solid data on Rocker's situation predicting worse future production, I think it's crappy leverage for organizations, because surgery isn't what the career death knell it once was.

And I don't think "just because organizations have used this leverage in the past" is particularly convincing.

I'm sensing we're not going to agree on this, so save some damning stats on performance post-Tommy John, I'll just leave it here.
    I hear where you are coming from, but it makes at least two material differences. One, it changes the timetable. Rather than near-majors, Rocker now is a three-year investment with no return (and with reduced trade value during that window). Two, there is strong evidence that he may need to change his throwing motion. That brings uncertainty.

23. Likes:

BillDoran (07-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?