Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would Freddy Galvis be an upgrade for the rest of the season?

Re: Would Freddy Galvis be an upgrade for the rest of the season?

No.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yes.

But he's injured and may be injured until September.
    Can you imagine if you still had jose iglesius at short? Hitting 275, 7 hr, on espn hilight reel every night. This is why ppl say the team is just plain dumb.

Would rather Miguel Rojas

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Who are you talking about? Superior, Steady D certainly didn't describe Galvis last year.
    Jose Iglesias. I'll settle for those offensive numbers, the higher quality of middle defense, which I deem of the utmost importance, and also cheap ($3M/year) - over the "situation" we currently have at SS. What are the Red's currently paying to man a SS position that is bottom tier in MLB in offensive production? And the D hasn't been nothing to write home about.

Yeah. Since the Reds weren't going to play the high stakes game for an "elite" SS in the market - or even middle tier (Didi) for that matter - but place their hopes on a developing Barrero, then yeah, I would have settled for that for a few years, temporarily, until Barrero showed he was ready to inherit it. Love Barrero's defensive set, and he's showing huge improvement with the bat at AA/AAA this season. But I'd settle for his superior defense, and a so-so bat, over what we have out there now.

Concepcion was a sub-700 OPS SS.

It still irritates me how this management (mis)handled, bungled, whatever, the SS position going into this season. Definitely winners of Thumbs Up Butt Award. How many wins has that cost us this season?
    Last edited by GAC; 07-16-2021 at 04:57 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

SErebel11 (07-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Jose Iglesias. I'll settle for those offensive numbers, the higher quality of middle defense, which I deem of the utmost importance, and also cheap ($3M/year) - over the "situation" we currently have at SS. What are the Red's currently paying to man a SS position that is bottom tier in MLB in offensive production? And the D hasn't been nothing to write home about.

Yeah. Since the Reds weren't going to play the high stakes game for an "elite" SS in the market - or even middle tier (Didi) for that matter - but place their hopes on a developing Barrero, then yeah, I would have settled for that for a few years, temporarily, until Barrero showed he was ready to inherit it. Love Barrero's defensive set, and he's showing huge improvement with the bat at AA/AAA this season. But I'd settle for his superior defense, and a so-so bat, over what we have out there now.

Concepcion was a sub-700 OPS SS.

It still irritates me how this management (mis)handled, bungled, whatever, the SS position going into this season. Definitely winners of Thumbs Up Butt Award. How many wins has that cost us this season?
    The problem with Iglesias, if the Reds had re-signed him he'd be making significantly more than $3M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by gagliano View Post
    Can you imagine if you still had jose iglesius at short? Hitting 275, 7 hr, on espn hilight reel every night. This is why ppl say the team is just plain dumb.
    I have to agree with you on this even if your mucho too macho for me.

Concepcion was well over 700 OPS during his prime years and only under 3 times from 72 through 82. For a 7th-8th place hitter he was an MVP who actually made you believe in clutch hitting with runners on. He focused really good in those AB. Must have learned that from Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Concepcion was well over 700 OPS during his prime years and only under 3 times from 72 through 82. For a 7th-8th place hitter he was an MVP who actually made you believe in clutch hitting with runners on. He focused really good in those AB. Must have learned that from Tony.
    The last four years of that stretch (1979 to 1982), Concepcion was primarily a #2 or #3 hitter in the Reds lineup. He was moved to the top of the order after Pete Rose left for Philadelphia.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Yep. And it was different then, In 1976, for example, Concepcion had an OPS of .736. Today that would be well below average. Back then, it was 7% above league average.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The last four years of that stretch (1979 to 1982), Concepcion was primarily a #2 or #3 hitter in the Reds lineup. He was moved to the top of the order after Pete Rose left for Philadelphia.
    Yes I knew that Klu but the others didn’t.

He wasn’t the ideal number 3 but in 1981 I believe if the season played out in normal circumstances. I think he had a good chance to be named MVP.

Can I just also take the time to say once again who IPhones and their auto spell is a tad annoying. I wrote Klu. Not ally??
    Last edited by Tony Cloninger; 07-16-2021 at 04:27 PM.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (07-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The problem with Iglesias, if the Reds had re-signed him he'd be making significantly more than $3M.
    How so? As a FA he signed a one year contract with the Orioles where he made 2.5M in '20, and there was a club option for this season at 3.5M. They traded him to the Angels prior to this season. I'd have signed him to a two year contract (7M 3.5M/yr), with a club option for '22. Maybe even went 8M (lol). They exercised the option on friggin' Freddy Galvis and paid him 5.5M for one season!

These cheapskates could have avoided this "situation" at SS, gotten us through this season. I think Barrero will be up here next season. And if he doesn't work out, we just drafted the college SS from USC, who might be ready in a couple years (lol)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How so? As a FA he signed a one year contract with the Orioles where he made 2.5M in '20, and there was a club option for this season at 3.5M. They traded him to the Angels prior to this season. I'd have signed him to a two year contract (7M 3.5M/yr), with a club option for '22. Maybe even went 8M (lol). They exercised the option on friggin' Freddy Galvis and paid him 5.5M for one season!

These cheapskates could have avoided this "situation" at SS, gotten us through this season. I think Barrero will be up here next season. And if he doesn't work out, we just drafted the college SS from USC, who might be ready in a couple years (lol)
    I don't think it was a case of being cheap. They wanted Galvis' power for the offense and traded for him late in 2019 to take over in 2020. He wasn't right and his defense fell off from his earlier career and it ended up being a hole. Not sure why that happened whether it was injury or pandemic lay-off hangover or what, but the Galvis acquisition didn't work out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

GAC (07-18-2021),Revering4Blue (07-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think it was a case of being cheap. They wanted Galvis' power for the offense and traded for him late in 2019 to take over in 2020. He wasn't right and his defense fell off from his earlier career and it ended up being a hole. Not sure why that happened whether it was injury or pandemic lay-off hangover or what, but the Galvis acquisition didn't work out.
    I don't know that I will ever understand this management's logic. They then let Galvis walk - which none of us would have had a problem with if they'd had a viable answer for SS. They didn't, and they knew it. They tried to cover their failure with the Suarez move.

18. Likes:

wlf WV (07-21-2021)

I have to agree with you on this even if your mucho too macho for me.
    LOL definitely first time anyone's said that about me.

Turn Off Ads?