Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogo

Shogo

did you ever imagine him being this bad? and is there any hope for him to improve? i chalked last year up to "needs to adjust to MLB pitching." now i'm out of excuses for the guy. just seems like a massive bust. and the reds are on the hook for $8M for him next year. hefty price to pay for a mediocre-at-best backup OF.

2. Likes:

redsrule2500 (07-31-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shogo

Bad evaluation and even worse signing. Paying all that money and you have multiple guys better than him. It wasn’t that bad till they signed Cast but looks like they had no real plan.

5. Likes:

JFLegal (07-17-2021),REDREAD (07-20-2021),redsrule2500 (07-31-2021),Rojo Rijo (07-20-2021)

Meh, not every signing works out. Iím glad they actually tried prior to the 2020 season. Not going to fault them for spending money on FAís. He just hasnít worked out. I honestly think heís going to quit this offseason and go back to Japan. I know itís leaving money on the table but Iím sure a Japanese team will pay him. He canít be enjoying himself and probably misses home.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

RiverfrontRed (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Meh, not every signing works out. I’m glad they actually tried prior to the 2020 season. Not going to fault them for spending money on FA’s. He just hasn’t worked out. I honestly think he’s going to quit this offseason and go back to Japan. I know it’s leaving money on the table but I’m sure a Japanese team will pay him. He can’t be enjoying himself and probably misses home.
    man, i hope you're right. but IMO no way he leaves $8M on the table to go back to japan and play for ... what ... $1.5M? plus, even japanese teams know the shine is off him now. and he's kinda old for a baseball player. i get that not every signing will work out. but this was a bust for the reds.

Probably, what’s the point of bringing it up constantly? They tried, it didn’t work out.

10. Likes:

Mitri (07-17-2021)

constantly?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    man, i hope you're right. but IMO no way he leaves $8M on the table to go back to japan and play for ... what ... $1.5M? plus, even japanese teams know the shine is off him now. and he's kinda old for a baseball player. i get that not every signing will work out. but this was a bust for the reds.

I’m with you. Not sure why RedreamGo is busting your nuggets.
    It’s a really bad signing that hamstrung the team in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by LARKIN View Post
    I’m with you. Not sure why RedreamGo is busting your nuggets.
    It’s a really bad signing that hamstrung the team in other areas.
    eh, he's fine. he agrees, just likes arguing.

Oh Shogo. You came and you took without giving. But now we want to send you away.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (07-20-2021)

Reds will probably have to pay him to leave, as they should.
    Go Gators!

While it's good for organizations, at times, to take risks ... others can afford to do so, can "absorb" the cost if it's a bust ... far more then an organization like the Reds. So was it really just a risk? Or maybe just a bad decision from the get-go on an athlete, who has never played in the MLB, and who was on the + side of 30?

JMO. Wrong-headed signing. 21M that could have been better spent elsewhere.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

mth123 (07-17-2021),REDREAD (07-20-2021),TheBigLebowski (07-17-2021)

Folks have been killing the reds for decades on not going after Japanese players. They finally do and they get killed for it because it didn’t work out. Damned if you do. Damned if you don’t.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Folks have been killing the reds for decades on not going after Japanese players. They finally do and they get killed for it because it didn’t work out. Damned if you do. Damned if you don’t.
    This is a surprisingly forgiving take from someone who isn’t exactly viewed as a level-headed pragmatist. Surprisingly, I don’t think I’m really known for that either.

Gonna need you to show your work on the rather broad statement regarding the Reds being “killed for decades” for not dipping their toes in the Asian Baseball pool. It’s like we never hit The Bong. And Chen?? Bruce Freaking Chen? And yes, I know the Reds didn’t bring those guys over on their own.

Everyone is disappointed in Shogo to some extent - even if said disappointment stems from the fact that he just hasn’t played that much.

I’d actually like to see his name as a fixture in the lineup for 1-2 months before I make my final declaration of his worth. If the Reds start to tailspin and fall out of contention, let’s finally give him that extended trial. I know he isn’t Jacoby Ellsbury or Grady Sizemore, but I do think he’ll acquit himself well if finally given regular PT.
    I can get you a toe, Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    This is a surprisingly forgiving take from someone who isn’t exactly viewed as a level-headed pragmatist. Surprisingly, I don’t think I’m really known for that either.

Gonna need you to show your work on the rather broad statement regarding the Reds being “killed for decades” for not dipping their toes in the Asian Baseball pool. It’s like we never hit The Bong. And Chen?? Bruce Freaking Chen? And yes, I know the Reds didn’t bring those guys over on their own.

Everyone is disappointed in Shogo to some extent - even if said disappointment stems from the fact that he just hasn’t played that much.

I’d actually like to see his name as a fixture in the lineup for 1-2 months before I make my final declaration of his worth. If the Reds start to tailspin and fall out of contention, let’s finally give him that extended trial. I know he isn’t Jacoby Ellsbury or Grady Sizemore, but I do think he’ll acquit himself well if finally given regular PT.
    Bruce Chen is from Panama.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    While it's good for organizations, at times, to take risks ... others can afford to do so, can "absorb" the cost if it's a bust ... far more then an organization like the Reds. So was it really just a risk? Or maybe just a bad decision from the get-go on an athlete, who has never played in the MLB, and who was on the + side of 30?

JMO. Wrong-headed signing. 21M that could have been better spent elsewhere.
    Agree completely. I was happy the Reds broke into the Japanese market, but for a team like the Reds, $7 Million per season needs to be for a player who regularly contributes and giving that much for three years to a guy who is a complete question mark seems beyond what the Reds should reasonably do. People argued with me at the time, but Japan is minor league level ball and there is a definite jump for a Japanese player to come to the big leagues and be successful. As we see all the time with players in AAA, good stats in the lesser league often wind up as well below average to poor in the majors. Worse yet, there were reports coming from Japan that Shogo had lost a step and wasn't really suited for CF anymore. He's a fine defender who can still run a bit, but his range in CF is iffy and his arm is more suited to LF. what he does is pretty easy to find in AAA for very little cost. For 3 years, $21 Million, the reds need to do better than that. Think how much improved the bullpen would be if the Reds could spend that $7 Million there.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-17-2021 at 09:07 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

23. Likes:

REDREAD (07-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?