Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shogo

Re: Shogo

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Orestes Destrade endorses this post
    One of the first Cubans who defected,IIRC was player named Garbey. It was thought he was going to be a star but flamed out pretty quickly. Like Big Klu said not everyone who comes from Japan or Cuba will be a superstar. I will say I was surprised last year when I first heard that Shogo was 31. I thought then that was a real risk to sign a Japanese player that old. I'm afraid its proven correct although we will never know if he would have succeeded here at 25.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

Big Klu (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    One of the first Cubans who defected,IIRC was player named Garbey. It was thought he was going to be a star but flamed out pretty quickly. Like Big Klu said not everyone who comes from Japan or Cuba will be a superstar. I will say I was surprised last year when I first heard that Shogo was 31. I thought then that was a real risk to sign a Japanese player that old. I'm afraid its proven correct although we will never know if he would have succeeded here at 25.
    Barbaro Garbey. I forgot about him! OF/3B for the Tigers. I think he was a bench player on Sparky's 1984 World Champion club in Detroit.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Yeah Shogo is not very good, it’s a bummer. Reds took their chances on a Japanese player and it has not worked out.

Still not sure why you guys have to be such jerks about it.
    Not trying to be a jerk about it. We still have people insisting that all Shogo needs is more playing time.
    We still have people saying it wasn't a colossal mess up. Have people blaming Covid and a host of other excuses.
    The debate still seems to be open. What I said was not intended to be a "I told you so".
    Just saying, Shogo was one of the top 3 worst FA signings of all time (for the Reds). Arguably top 2 (Milton is the other one)

Farmer gets quite a bit of criticism on this board, and he's at least 400% more valuable than Shogo.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

7. Likes:

Bruce Berenyi (07-20-2021),Falls City Beer (07-20-2021),JFLegal (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Barbaro Garbey

9. Likes:

Big Klu (07-20-2021),cumberlandreds (07-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk about it. We still have people insisting that all Shogo needs is more playing time.
    We still have people saying it wasn't a colossal mess up. Have people blaming Covid and a host of other excuses.
    The debate still seems to be open. What I said was not intended to be a "I told you so".
    Just saying, Shogo was one of the top 3 worst FA signings of all time (for the Reds). Arguably top 2 (Milton is the other one)

Farmer gets quite a bit of criticism on this board, and he's at least 400% more valuable than Shogo.
    Farmer's only sin is that he is a versatile utility player who has been forced to play much more than he should have to. He is best suited as a backup at all four infield positions, catcher, and maybe LF -- getting 1 or 2 starts a week and 3 or 4 PH appearances/double switches, for a total of 7 to 10 plate appearances a week.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-21-2021),elrojo (07-27-2021),Falls City Beer (07-20-2021),GAC (07-28-2021),KeefeCato (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-21-2021),Revering4Blue (07-28-2021),Ron Madden (07-23-2021),westofyou (07-20-2021)

When he was signed, Shgo seemed to have potential. So I can't claim to a "I-told-you-so." Nevertheless, Shogo has not shown any
    ability to hit MLB pitching consistently--or at all. Nice try, but Shogo must go after his contract expires next year or even sooner, if possible.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
    When he was signed, Shgo seemed to have potential. So I can't claim to a "I-told-you-so." Nevertheless, Shogo has not shown any
    ability to hit MLB pitching consistently--or at all. Nice try, but Shogo must go after his contract expires next year or even sooner, if possible.
    Don't you have to have the opportunity to hit MLB pitching before you can show no ability to hit it consistently?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Don't you have to have the opportunity to hit MLB pitching before you can show no ability to hit it consistently?
    True, due to injury. Plus he has a manager who is utilizing analytics to decide who does/doesn't play day-to-day, so it may be harder to build consistency, get into any kind of rhythm. But right now we don't have any solid alternatives for CF other then Shogo (who can flash the glove there). Not comfortable at all with Aquino out there. Naquin is a utility player.

So give him the ABs to possibly get him going and show people the contract wasn't a bust. Because he is running out of opportunity with next year the last year of the contract.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

goreds2 (07-28-2021),Powder River (07-29-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    He can get that opportunity somewhere else.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    True, due to injury. Plus he has a manager who is utilizing analytics to decide who does/doesn't play day-to-day, so it may be harder to build consistency, get into any kind of rhythm. But right now we don't have any solid alternatives for CF other then Shogo (who can flash the glove there). Not comfortable at all with Aquino out there. Naquin is a utility player.

So give him the ABs to possibly get him going and show people the contract wasn't a bust. Because he is running out of opportunity with next year the last year of the contract.
    As Brantley said on the broadcast last night, Shogo should be trying anything and everything to get on base - bunts, slap hits, etc. His pop-ups to the OF aren't going to reach the wall so it's past time for a new approach.

20. Likes:

GAC (07-29-2021),REDREAD (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Indymoon View Post
    As Brantley said on the broadcast last night, Shogo should be trying anything and everything to get on base - bunts, slap hits, etc. His pop-ups to the OF aren't going to reach the wall so it's past time for a new approach.
    Akiyama's approach to hitting is amongst the worst i have ever seen. I can't imagine how he hit so many homers in Japan. To hit a baseball (like golf) you have to "stay behind the ball". Shogo has already finished his stride long before the ball gets near the plate. It explains his complete lack of power. He's a slap hitter, and a bad one at that. I've enjoyed watching him make those great catches in center field. But center fielders, just like right fielders, have to have great arms. Shogo has a weak arm. I think this was a bad case of Reds scouting. Looks like they signed him based on his stats from the back of a Japanese baseball card. At least that scout got a piece of gum.

22. Likes:

loudangry (07-28-2021),malcontent (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-29-2021)

He's somewhere between the hitter we thought we were getting and the hitter that he currently is. I do think he'd get on base at a decent clip over an extended period, but losing conviction in that belief. Seems like a quality dude too. Has a bunch of speed and plays great D, so he's still an asset to this team if used correctly.

Also, am I imagining him hitting a HR off the batters eye at GABP in an exhibition game? Like an actual bomb? Could have been someone else, but when I think of his lack of power I always remember that.

24. Likes:

Mitri (07-29-2021),Powder River (07-29-2021)

Yes, he hit one dead center in one of the exhibition games versus Detroit

My problem with Shogo is that guys from Japan are no different than guys from AA or AAA. You can scout them and look at their stats, but in the end, they are making a jump to a higher level and the failure rate is high. I just don't think a team with a 30+ year history of crying poor should make a 3 year $21 Million guarantee to such a question mark. If they can get one for a one time bonus from their international money, I'm fine with it. If the budget will be increased to compensate if the player ends up becoming an upside down deal (as in Shogo's case), I'm fine with it, but if the mode of operation is live with your mistake because there isn't money for a plan B, I'd just prefer they skip it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

27. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-29-2021),REDREAD (07-29-2021)

They call me "chef"

I don't hate Shogo but it's sad that he can hit a hard double once in a game or get one RBI and that becomes an offensive highlight for his 1.5 years on the team.

29. Likes:

GAC (07-30-2021),REDREAD (07-29-2021)

Turn Off Ads?