Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Extra-Inning Runner On 2nd Rule?

Re: Extra-Inning Runner On 2nd Rule?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Harvey Haddix pitched a 12 inning perfect game in 1959. He lost the game in the 13th. I can't remember who pitched against him but that had to be some game!
    Lee Burdette and the Braves, this is perhaps the oldest pitching story I can remember, it was in the first baseball book I ever had , "Strange but true Baseball stories"

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-21-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I hate it. I'm usually a pro "change the rules" type of guy; I don't see very much as sacrosanct. But I severely dislike that a team is just handed an opportunity to score a run while do nothing but making 3 consecutive outs.

I'd rather see either ties after the 10th inning or something that is just completely different and more dramatic, like a home run derby or allowing the manager to make a new lineup and reinsert players who were previously removed. But don't just give me a bastardized game where we pretend like the inning started with a double.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-21-2021),Revering4Blue (07-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I like it too. Maybe the ghost runner rule doesn't shorten games, but it makes them a lot more exciting.
    More balls put into play. More tension. I get excited now when a game goes to extra innings.. In the past, I would usually just go to bed and look up who won the next day.
    Think about that game 1 vs the Mets (two days ago).. Even though it sucked that we lost, there was a tremendous amount of drama, and might have been the longest game thread ever.. Now, I know the high scoring that proceeded the extra innings was also responsible, but man, that was an epic game.
    Baseball desperately needs more drama like this..
    Exactly. Every pitch in extras has high stakes.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I hate it. I'm usually a pro "change the rules" type of guy; I don't see very much as sacrosanct. But I severely dislike that a team is just handed an opportunity to score a run while do nothing but making 3 consecutive outs.

I'd rather see either ties after the 10th inning or something that is just completely different and more dramatic, like a home run derby or allowing the manager to make a new lineup and reinsert players who were previously removed. But don't just give me a bastardized game where we pretend like the inning started with a double.
    Conceptually it’s lame, as you point out, and it really “solves” a non-existent problem: Marathon-inning games.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-21-2021),Wonderful Monds (07-21-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Maybe we could employ a “mystery” runner who starts at the plate, next to the batter, but runs the third base line upon contact or a walk, whereas the batter runs to first the normal way. The 3rd base side runner moves in lockstep with his normal counterpart- e.g. if the batter steals 2nd, the ghost gets 2nd as well.

When the meet on the basepaths, this is where the fun begins.

I have no idea what happens then. Still workshopping it. I also believe “ham” should now be declared “pig meat” in an effort to improve awareness of swine.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021)

I love it. It just feels like something is going to happen now to break the logjam. Before if it went past 10 innings it felt like it could go a long time and drag things out...very little excitement.

Personally I would consider starting the inning with the bases loaded. That would bring extreme drama very early. No one would leave if it went extra innings and in fact some people might even root for it. (Kind of sudden death kind of thing)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I'm on board with a HR derby or something like that.

Love it. Regular season baseball after 10 or 11 innings is like flat soda. This gives a fair, quick ending IMO.

16. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (07-21-2021),M2 (07-21-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Id also be okay with 5 pitch HR derby between 9th and 10th to add runs. Then play the 10th.

Sheer brute force to decide a game that is not all about force seems like overkill

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sheer brute force to decide a game that is not all about force seems like overkill
    its basically all about force at this point. 3 outcomes!

Start every inning with one less defensive player than you had the prior inning

21. Likes:

Big Klu (07-21-2021),goldglover9 (07-25-2021),Revering4Blue (07-21-2021),Roy Tucker (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    its basically all about force at this point. 3 outcomes!
    Actually, one of the things I dig about the current extras setup is an oppo single will get you that run. Teams really focus on getting that runner in as opposed to swinging for glory. Take the Reds for example. They're hitting .358 in extras this season. Small sample, but it speaks to how teams are taking a different approach. There's 15 teams in MLB hitting .264 or better in extras. There's only two (Houston and Toronto) doing it overall.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (07-21-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I like it too. Maybe the ghost runner rule doesn't shorten games, but it makes them a lot more exciting.
    More balls put into play. More tension. I get excited now when a game goes to extra innings.. In the past, I would usually just go to bed and look up who won the next day.
    Think about that game 1 vs the Mets (two days ago).. Even though it sucked that we lost, there was a tremendous amount of drama, and might have been the longest game thread ever.. Now, I know the high scoring that proceeded the extra innings was also responsible, but man, that was an epic game.
    Baseball desperately needs more drama like this..
    I'm exactly the opposite. Extra innings never bothered me -- in fact, I found them interesting. Under the "Ghost Runner" rules, I turn the TV off at the end of the ninth inning because I'm not interested in video game baseball.

If it's a good idea, maybe they should have a ghost runner at 2nd to start every inning.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-21-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

25. Likes:

757690 (07-21-2021),Falls City Beer (07-21-2021),Revering4Blue (07-21-2021),westofyou (07-21-2021),Wonderful Monds (07-21-2021)

It doesn’t bother me at all and I thought I was a purist.

Post season no, but regular season yes.

I’m totally on board with a compromise to start in the 12th as other have suggested.

Turn Off Ads?