Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Extra-Inning Runner On 2nd Rule?

Re: Extra-Inning Runner On 2nd Rule?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Damn iPad fingers

The Reds played in ONE game longer than 12 innings in 2019. Seems ridiculous to bellyache about it
    I suspect what's driving it is the number of people who leave or tune out when extras start. I've never gotten why, but most people leave games before they're over. I'll be walking near the Fenway and throngs of people will be headed out when it's just the 5th inning. If this gets more people to stick with the product, it's going to stay.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Chip R (07-26-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I suspect what's driving it is the number of people who leave or tune out when extras start. I've never gotten why, but most people leave games before they're over. I'll be walking near the Fenway and throngs of people will be headed out when it's just the 5th inning. If this gets more people to stick with the product, it's going to stay.
    Here there always seems to be a stream of people leaving after the 7th inning which coincidentally is when they stop selling beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

M2 (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Here there always seems to be a stream of people leaving after the 7th inning which coincidentally is when they stop selling beer.
    I think you are on to it. The game is the first stop in a bar hopping night out. Get some beer at the park for a few innings and when the beer stops flowing is about the times the bars start getting busy.

For others, its time to get the kiddies home and to bed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Chip R (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think you are on to it. The game is the first stop in a bar hopping night out. Get some beer at the park for a few innings and when the beer stops flowing is about the times the bars start getting busy.

For others, its time to get the kiddies home and to bed.
    I can understand why people leave so early besides the beer. The games are lasting so long that it isn't easy to stay for the whole thing, drive home fighting traffic and getting up the next morning; kids or no. I went to an afternoon game with GAC in May and I had to be back to go to work at 5:30 (really 4:30 so I could take my wife to work.) We took the bus downtown for the 12:35 start and we had to leave by 3 to catch the bus home. I think we left in the 6th inning. The game lasted 3:47. The game on Friday lasted 3:43 and Sunday it was 4:04. At least Saturday was a brisk 2:55. For me it's not that much of a hardship to stay till the end. But for people that have to get up, it is almost impossible to stay for the whole thing. Then, you add extra innings on to that, you can see why the runner on 2nd rule has some appeal. I'm not sure it's the answer, though. Maybe a curfew like the American League used to have. No inning can begin after midnight or else the game is suspended and picked up the next day. If a game starts at 7, that's 5 hours to play a game. Should be plenty of time to get a result.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

mth123 (07-26-2021)

A few thoughts…

Watching the Olympic women’s softball games, batters have to stay in the batters box. I like that.

Couple that with a 15 second pitch clock, games might move along a little quicker.

For me, it’s more the pace of play than the length of games. Currently, MLB games average one pitch every 24.9 seconds.

Make infielders stay on the infield dirt. They can shift, but can’t play a short right field.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Big Klu (07-26-2021),Chip R (07-26-2021),Falls City Beer (07-26-2021),Mitri (07-26-2021),Ron Madden (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    A few thoughts…

Watching the Olympic women’s softball games, batters have to stay in the batters box. I like that.

Couple that with a 15 second pitch clock, games might move along a little quicker.

For me, it’s more the pace of play than the length of games. Currently, MLB games average one pitch every 24.9 seconds.

Make infielders stay on the infield dirt. They can shift, but can’t play a short right field.
    I’m for everything you just said. It’s absolutely the pace. I don’t have any numbers to say the games were shorter, but just watching old game clips, you truly marvel at how efficiently they worked.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think one follows the other. If pace of play picks up, game lengths will probably go down.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?