Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part XIV

Re: Covid-19, Part XIV

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'm sure in Bexley kids will be wearing masks at least until the end of the school year no matter whether or not vaccines are available for 5-11 year olds.
    I doubt it

What are your normal absentee rates vs. covid-era absentee rates? What kind of increase due to quarantines are we looking at here

There are failing school districts that have chronic absentee rates over 50% and I've never heard anyone say anything about the issue except people who are really into education. Normal schools have absentee rates every day of 5-10%+, more during flu season. I've never heard anyone concerned in my life about either of those stats.

But buddy, you better find an off ramp ASAP! Hundreds of kids sometimes missed school in the last 18 months?? Show me to the fainting couch, so appalling!
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 10-13-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    yep
    Just curious why you would send them if the school is clearly not safe.

I doubt it

What are your normal absentee rates vs. covid-era absentee rates? What kind of increase due to quarantines are we looking at here

There are failing school districts that have chronic absentee rates over 50% and I've never heard anyone say anything about the issue except people who are really into education. Normal schools have absentee rates every day of 5-10%+, more during flu season. I've never heard anyone concerned in my life about either of those stats.

But buddy, you better find an off ramp ASAP! Hundreds of kids sometimes missed school in the last 18 months?? Show me to the fainting couch, so appalling!
    We know there has always been a high absentee rate for various reasons. But being quarantined when you don't want to be or need to be is a completely different thing. And hundreds? Fainting couch? Do you even bother to read? I know you aren't actually interested in discourse, but just in the school in my town alone, which isn't even that big, there have been 300 kids quarantined in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I know you aren't actually interested in discourse, but just in the school in my town alone, which isn't even that big, there have been 300 kids quarantined in a few weeks.
    If that number is accurate, then you've got a general outbreak on your hands. So it's a good thing those kids are being kept at home rather than worsen an already bad situation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

SteelSD (10-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If that number is accurate, then you've got a general outbreak on your hands. So it's a good thing those kids are being kept at home rather than worsen an already bad situation.
    I know. I'm not opposed to the quarantine. I was pushing back on the notion that schools are not quarantining and that the numbers are trivial. These are 300 kids that mostly otherwise wouldn't have missed school, and it isn't like they are out for a day- that is 3000-4500 school days in total, and it is only Oct 13th. And unless you live in a white collar area, there is a good chance the parents now have a corresponding ordeal in figuring out what to do with the kids and the teachers have to deal with remote learning. At this rate, almost every kid will have quarantined once by March.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    yep

People want things to be normal, covid doesn't care though.

And unless you live in a white collar area, there is a good chance the parents now have a corresponding ordeal in figuring out what to do with the kids and the teachers have to deal with remote learning..
    We both know you didn't care about this before covid-19, even though kids missing school (gosh, even healthy kids sometimes) is not anything new.

You've boxed yourself into a corner here where you're upset that kids who have been in close contact with a positive case have to stay home. Trust me, the standards of most schools to quarantine a kid are not trivial, as I said, real contact tracing is barely happening, not that it's super effective anyway with a disease where you spread before you have symptoms.

If you don't think kids who have been in extremely close contact with a positive case should stay home, for whatever utterly bizarre reason you'd have to have to believe something like that, then you're in luck! Most aren't actually put in quarantine.

We both know you didn't care about this before covid-19, even though kids missing school (gosh, even healthy kids sometimes) is not anything new.
    Hmm, until last year my kids had perfect attendance, so yeah, it wasn't an issue. Besides I'm talking about the kids in this situation that actually want to be in school, not perpetual truants.
    You've boxed yourself into a corner here where you're upset that kids who have been in close contact with a positive case have to stay home.
    First, I'm not upset, and second, I want them to stay home. I'm not boxed into a corner. You were the one saying that the numbers are minimal (fainting couch!), when in reality we are on track so that nearly every kid will be quarantined this year.
    Trust me, the standards of most schools to quarantine a kid are not trivial, as I said, real contact tracing is barely happening, not that it's super effective anyway with a disease where you spread before you have symptoms.
    Well, you aren't a doctor or scientist, so I'm not going to trust you, and you are not an expert on contact tracing. By your standards it sounds like if there is a room with 30 kids and one tests positive, all 30 have to quarantine. Actually, I have no idea what you're saying because you just make snarky remarks and don't explain what you mean.

If you don't think kids who have been in extremely close contact with a positive case should stay home, for whatever utterly bizarre reason you'd have to have to believe something like that, then you're in luck! Most aren't actually put in quarantine.
    I do think kids who have been in extremely close contact with a positive case should stay home. What the heck are you even talking about?

And, you don't even define the parameters. Extremely close contact inside or outside? How close is close contact? How long? Was anyone wearing a mask? Again, you say the schools clearly aren't safe but you send your kids to school. Weird.

I do think kids who have been in extremely close contact with a positive case should stay home. What the heck are you even talking about?
    lol then what is your complaint exactly

lol then what is your complaint exactly
    I don't have a complaint. In fact, my son and my gf's daughters took this year off because of this stuff. It's all good. But keep sending your kids to schools that are not safe.

It all started when someone said"By February 1st, we'll be on track for every American 6 months or older to have had the opportunity to be vaccinated with two weeks post-second shot. We'll be at 70-75% of the country fully vaccinated. By CDC estimates, more than half of the country will have had C19. You're going to have maybe 10-15% tops of the country without some kind of immunity. If that's not a good enough off-ramp, I'm curious to hear what will be." Of course, you just respond with snark and say "lol off ramp from what, what covid restrictions are bothering you these days"

I think it's pretty awesome that 5-11 year olds will soon be eligible, because if you leave your little home enclave in Bexley, you would see there are still a lot of restrictions.

you would see there are still a lot of restrictions.
    lot of places with a lot fewer too, have you been around the last few months? Large parts of Ohio and America aren't living in a restricted way, we know because of the case numbers and deaths. Schools are mostly operating as normal, except sometimes kids have to miss school, like they do normally anyway. Hope we can get the masks off once all the kids can get the shot. I guess. It's not like being in the same closed room with a bunch of people is a smart thing to do right now, but we're going to pretend otherwise, the way we pretend with a lot of societal issues.

Anyway, the histrionics over absences are ridiculous.

You seem really worried about my kids! They're vaccinated, we'll be fine.

It would be interesting to know what % of kids who are quarantined for close contact actually end up testing positive themselves.

lot of places with a lot fewer too, have you been around the last few months? Large parts of Ohio and America aren't living in a restricted way, we know because of the case numbers and deaths. Schools are mostly operating as normal, except sometimes kids have to miss school, like they do normally anyway. Hope we can get the masks off once all the kids can get the shot. I guess. It's not like being in the same closed room with a bunch of people is a smart thing to do right now, but we're going to pretend otherwise, the way we pretend with a lot of societal issues.

Anyway, the histrionics over absences are ridiculous.

You seem really worried about my kids! They're vaccinated, we'll be fine.
    Yeah, I’ve been from coast to coast several times and in Europe twice since January. I see live music about four times a week, and have friends over regularly. I mean, you’re the guy who said he’s scared to go to a concert.

You probably work from home, but if you get into the private sector, there are still a lot of restrictions.

And yes, I know there are a lot of normal absences, but those people were absent because of neglectful parents and totally dysfunctional homes. You’re welcome to fix it, and I would have nothing against fixing it. But this year, nearly every kid in my town will miss two weeks of school on average because of Covid.

I only mentioned your kids, because you say the schools are clearly not safe. But now that you’ve clarified, like everything else, if you’re vaccinated, you can pretty much do whatever you want, include going to concerts

But this year, nearly every kid in my town will miss two weeks of school on average because of Covid.
    They'll be fine

They'll be fine
    I know.

Turn Off Ads?