Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 70 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19, Part XIV

Covid-19, Part XIV

Covid hopitalizations have tripled in two weeks here and are back up to early May numbers. Another small jump and we'll be back to February numbers. Vaccination numbers were high in March and April here but really died off in May and are down to bascially nothing. 150 vaccinations is a good day here now. We were briefly touching 5,000/day and were over 4.000/day for quite some time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Covid-19, Part XIV

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Covid hopitalizations have tripled in two weeks here and are back up to early May numbers. Another small jump and we'll be back to February numbers. Vaccination numbers were high in March and April here but really died off in May and are down to bascially nothing. 150 vaccinations is a good day here now. We were briefly touching 5,000/day and were over 4.000/day for quite some time.
    Rural areas are going to get hit hard. Obviously lower vaccination rates, but also lower natural immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Rural areas are going to get hit hard. Obviously lower vaccination rates, but also lower natural immunity.
    I'm not in a rural area (not sure you were saying that I am, but just in case).

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Same with heavy African-American and Hispanic communities.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I get an email from a customer and this was the subject line:

"Jim died July 15"

Then another email: "Im in the hospital"

I respond with prayers and well wishes, I ask why she is in the hospital: "Covid"

Then I asked what Jim died of....she has not responded since yesterday.

The Covid passport thing in Europe is off and running. Germany stopped issuing certificates today because somebody hacked into the pharmacy portal and created at least two fake certificates that they know about, not to mention private medical data was accessed. France started requiring it for public locations with an above 50 capacity, but they backed off on issuing fines. Restaurant owners are super pissed because their potential customer base is cut in half overnight starting in August, which is a very busy month. I don’t blame them, because they have no control over this.

It's like a 21st Century Epic Battle between greed and benevolence.

Greed is winning.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If numbers get back to their peak then I'd have serious reservations about whether the vaccines work against this variant. We've been told otherwise to this point.

Things are still quite fine here in Ohio but there's nothing that says that what's happening in your state couldn't happen here. We had 382 new cases reported yesterday. A week ago it was 434. On July 7th it was 306. June 30th 225. At our peak we registered about 13K/day.

Our total hospitalizations are now 378 or 1.4% of all hospital beds. At our peak we were admitting 400 new C19 patients a day.

For me the pandemic is over in that my life is completely back to normal. I don't wear a mask anywhere. When I leave the house I don't even think about it.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (07-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If numbers get back to their peak then I'd have serious reservations about whether the vaccines work against this variant. We've been told otherwise to this point.

Things are still quite fine here in Ohio but there's nothing that says that what's happening in your state couldn't happen here. We had 382 new cases reported yesterday. A week ago it was 434. On July 7th it was 306. June 30th 225. At our peak we registered about 13K/day.

Our total hospitalizations are now 378 or 1.4% of all hospital beds. At our peak we were admitting 400 new C19 patients a day.

For me the pandemic is over in that my life is completely back to normal. I don't wear a mask anywhere. When I leave the house I don't even think about it.
    I stopped into a McDonalds on the southern east coast last week. Everyone was wearing a mask, including the customers. Except me. No one said anything about it to me, but it was strange...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

goreds2 (07-23-2021)

12,647 new cases in Florida today. Nobody learns anything, ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

WrongVerb (07-23-2021)

I got a text last night from a woman I know in one of the plants I work at. She’s a single mom with three teen kids. I saw her before I left and she was still wearing a mask at work, and I asked her if she’s vaccinated. She said, “No, my sister’s a nurse and she told everyone in the family not to because it isn’t safe.” I kid you not. I told her she should listen to doctors and scientists instead of a nurse, but it was one of those things where the sister was intimidating and she just wanted to keep peace.

Anyway, she texted me that every year it was tradition for her kids to go visit their cousins in the Outer Banks for a few weeks during the summer. But this year, the family told them that they wouldn’t be allowed to visit unless they were fully vaccinated. So, the next day they all went to the doctor and all four of them got vaccinated for the first shot, and they’ll follow up with their next shot. Part of the summer is ruined, but at least they’ll be able to go for a couple of weeks. This is a case where one single person affected a bunch of others. But I found it awesome that one other person played hardball, and that’s what we need to do. I’ve been doing that all along by forbidding certain people to enter my house or even sitting at my table out in public.

16. Likes:

757690 (07-23-2021),cumberlandreds (07-23-2021),Strikes Out Looking (07-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My wife works in a hospital in FL that's been featured on the Today Show and CNN this week. They were in the teens a couple of weeks ago and have now blown by their previous peak and all the local hospitals are going up 10% a day. I've known her a long time, and she's one of the most positive people I know, and I've never seen her so dejected. She's debating just leaving healthcare altogether. It's ugly out there. But hey, "Don't Fauci our Florida". That was cute for a second.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

19. Likes:

Larkin Fan (07-23-2021),M2 (07-23-2021),RFS62 (07-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Oh no!
    It's so funny when we get to see the conditions for mass deaths forming.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So who will be the first pro sports team to roll back capacity and go back to requiring masks? Assuming it has not already happened.

Turn Off Ads?