The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Hoosier Basketball '21-'22: Welcome back Woody

Last year for the Crossroads Classic...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ber/ar-AAMDp0o

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Last year for the Crossroads Classic...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ber/ar-AAMDp0o
    Glad they could end something fans really enjoyed.

It happens everywhere, but this refusal of traditional powers to play good local teams in home-and-homes or at independent sites takes a lot of the fun out of college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Glad they could end something fans really enjoyed.

It happens everywhere, but this refusal of traditional powers to play good local teams in home-and-homes or at independent sites takes a lot of the fun out of college sports.
    I posted my thoughts on this on a Hoosier board but I felt the "Crossroads Classic" could have been so much better. They should have set it up like Maui or the other 8 team, 3-day tournaments. IU, Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame and adding Ball State, Valpo, Indiana St., and Evansville. Hoosier Hysteria at it's finest. But nobody listens to me.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (07-29-2021)

I posted my thoughts on this on a Hoosier board but I felt the "Crossroads Classic" could have been so much better. They should have set it up like Maui or the other 8 team, 3-day tournaments. IU, Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame and adding Ball State, Valpo, Indiana St., and Evansville. Hoosier Hysteria at it's finest. But nobody listens to me.
    It's all about protecting the brand. The Hoosiers can't be exposed to the likes of Ball State and Indiana State.

The logic that the dominant teams have nothing to gain by playing good local/regional competition is so wrong-headed. It's one of my least favorite trends in college sports. Give the fans what they want. Build local/regional rivalries. Battle for city bragging rights. It's fun!

That the Crossroads Classic, as limited as it was, is a rarity in college sports says it all about where things are currently. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chris Holtmann was the catalyst. He's talked about making similar arrangements in Ohio and has already agreed to have Ohio State play other good programs in the state.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    It's all about protecting the brand. The Hoosiers can't be exposed to the likes of Ball State and Indiana State.

The logic that the dominant teams have nothing to gain by playing good local/regional competition is so wrong-headed. It's one of my least favorite trends in college sports. Give the fans what they want. Build local/regional rivalries. Battle for city bragging rights. It's fun!

That the Crossroads Classic, as limited as it was, is a rarity in college sports says it all about where things are currently. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chris Holtmann was the catalyst. He's talked about making similar arrangements in Ohio and has already agreed to have Ohio State play other good programs in the state.
    IU could fill their entire non-con schedule with in-state schools and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Better than playing N.E. Oklahoma A&M..

10. Likes:

BillDoran (07-29-2021)

IU could fill their entire non-con schedule with in-state schools and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Better than playing N.E. Oklahoma A&M..
    I miss the Indiana and Hoosier classics myself.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-08-2021),elrojo (11-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I miss the Indiana and Hoosier classics myself.
    Bobby didn't fill those tournaments with cupcakes. I miss them myself.

Bobby didn't fill those tournaments with cupcakes. I miss them myself.
    Didn't he? I only know what it was when I was in school. The years I was there they played the following in the Indiana Classic(Bloomington) ; Santa Clara, Louisiana Tech, UW-Green Bay, South Alabama, Bowling Green(Dakich?), Boise State, Buffalo, and Indiana State.
    In the Hoosier Classic(Market Square Arena) they played; Valpo, Colgate, Western Michigan, Missouri State(Alford?), Ball State, Drake, Holy Cross, and Canisius.
    There were certainly some teams who turned out to be decent in there. But it's still much closer to who's that than a who's who.

*Apologies if I mixed up which was the Hoosier Classic and which was the Indiana Classic. One of them was in Bloomington the first or second weekend of December. The other was in Indianapolis between Christmas and New Year's.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Didn't he? I only know what it was when I was in school. The years I was there they played the following in the Indiana Classic(Bloomington) ; Santa Clara, Louisiana Tech, UW-Green Bay, South Alabama, Bowling Green(Dakich?), Boise State, Buffalo, and Indiana State.
    In the Hoosier Classic(Market Square Arena) they played; Valpo, Colgate, Western Michigan, Missouri State(Alford?), Ball State, Drake, Holy Cross, and Canisius.
    There were certainly some teams who turned out to be decent in there. But it's still much closer to who's that than a who's who.

*Apologies if I mixed up which was the Hoosier Classic and which was the Indiana Classic. One of them was in Bloomington the first or second weekend of December. The other was in Indianapolis between Christmas and New Year's.
    Irony at it's finest...

You said that and went back to '83 as I attended both the Indiana Classic and the Hoosier Classic.

The Indiana Classic(Bloomington) consisted of:

IU(22-9 NCAA lost in the EE)

Utah St.(19-11 lost 1st Rd NIT)

Texas A&M(16-14 lost in CT final to #8 Arkansas)

Illinois St.(23-8 NCAA lost 2nd Rd to #4 DePaul)

The Hoosier Classic(Indy) consisted of:

IU(22-9 NCAA lost in the EE)

#12 Boston College(lost 2nd Rd NIT)

Iowa State(lost 1st Rd NIT)

Ball State(9-18)

One thing I recall Knight was good at was manipulating the early RPI system.
    I'm not sure if it was even intentional or not, but when I was there at least(96-00) he seemed to have a knack for playing the best teams from the worst conferences for the guarantee games. You bring in the worst team in the MEAC or MAAAC or Patriot leage and they're probably ranked in the 300's(high 200's then when there were fewer teams) but if you play the best team in that conference? You should still win 99% of the time, but that team is ranked low 200's high 100's.

Now the tournament committee doesn't look at any given ranking number the way they once did,(rightfully so I might add) but I still find it interesting how ahead of things he could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    One thing I recall Knight was good at was manipulating the early RPI system.
    I'm not sure if it was even intentional or not, but when I was there at least(96-00) he seemed to have a knack for playing the best teams from the worst conferences for the guarantee games. You bring in the worst team in the MEAC or MAAAC or Patriot leage and they're probably ranked in the 300's(high 200's then when there were fewer teams) but if you play the best team in that conference? You should still win 99% of the time, but that team is ranked low 200's high 100's.

Now the tournament committee doesn't look at any given ranking number the way they once did,(rightfully so I might add) but I still find it interesting how ahead of things he could be.
    Ya know, I had never given that much thought but you are on to something there. But you are also talking years when IU basketball was falling off the map. After '94 things got ugly.

JHS to IU.

Kenya Hunter has landed two out-of-state national top-30 players in about six months. I’m sure Woodson has helped close, but Kenya is getting it done.

IU is on a roll.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (08-24-2021),Revering4Blue (08-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    JHS to IU.

Kenya Hunter has landed two out-of-state national top-30 players in about six months. I’m sure Woodson has helped close, but Kenya is getting it done.

IU is on a roll.
    https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I was initially pretty underwhelmed by the hire, but it's hard not to be excited about what Woodson has done. Team looked good in the Bahamas, the players seem to love him, and he's crushing recruiting so far. I can't wait for the season

23. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-27-2021),BillDoran (08-27-2021),dubc47834 (10-08-2021),Revering4Blue (08-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?