Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859

Thread: 7-26-21 Reds @ Cubs 8:05pm

Re: 7-26-21 Reds @ Cubs 8:05pm

Quote Originally Posted by coryfly View Post
    That is kind of weak. You can't clearly imply racism and then say people being smart enough to understand the implication proves the assumption was correct. That isn't reasonable.
    People have read his garbage before. Wow, hard to recognize his garbage takes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If there was no racism behind the comments, no one would have figured out what I was referring to, people just would have been confused. All I did was compare three players. There are so many things they have in common and don’t have in common. But it was obvious to nearly everyone what I was referring to.

Again, I am calling out the institutionalized racism that leads to such comments, I am not calling out anyone for being racist. The fact that nearly everyone knew right away what I was talking about shows how established racism is in our society.
    No, it shows that we've read your posts before.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-27-2021)

Ok, just watched the replay of Baez's pop fly game winner. I hope they throw at that POS first at bat. He was a total ****** bag.

Don't wanna see anyone hurt, but that can't be ignored.
    Last edited by Bushman; 07-27-2021 at 08:41 AM.

757690 really overreached on this take. It's OK. He's been exposed and that's a good thing. Us Reds fans just want him to pitch like Hader. We don't care about race. Pretty much everyone here gets that. It's no biggie that 757690 doesn't

7. Likes:

HammerTime (07-27-2021)

Love the racism card being used o
    About Garrett. The guy hasn't been good. Whoever the guy said they say good things about cast and Pete rose is hilarious. Maybe because those guys produced. Larkin/Griffey we're my favs. Just because someone is saying Garrett stinks isn't implying racism.

They call me "chef"

737373 set us up to do our favorite thing in the world, beat our chest on a sports forum about how racism is absolutely the furthest thing from anything they could ever do, and he exposed himself. But it’s no biggie. Not only are we all virulently anti-racist here but we are also forgiving. No hard feelings, 727272.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The poster who lit the fuse here by saying he/she roots against Amir is a rather new, fairly miserable poster.

So please take his/her comments for what they are worth.
    If you say so, bro. I was expressing a barrel full of frustration with the result of the game. I wish Amir the best. I’m sure he’s a good guy and a good teammate. It’s just hard to watch a guy get that pumped up in an opponent’s face when he’s not performing his best. That’s all. When he does that - it makes it super hard to root for him. I wouldn’t have thought that would have been a controversial take.

And I agree - we should take everyone’s comments for what they’re worth. Not much. That’s why we’re here instead of writing for SI…

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If there was no racism behind the comments, no one would have figured out what I was referring to, people just would have been confused. All I did was compare three players. There are so many things they have in common and don’t have in common. But it was obvious to nearly everyone what I was referring to.

Again, I am calling out the institutionalized racism that leads to such comments, I am not calling out anyone for being racist. The fact that nearly everyone knew right away what I was talking about shows how established racism is in our society.
    If your argument is that I’m personally incapable of putting aside my racial biases - even for the purposes of something as inconsequential as drunken sh**posting after a Reds loss - the why call me out and claim to be embarrassed to be a Reds fan? If it’s beyond my control to fairly judge a person of color - shouldn’t you be trying to help educate me instead of trying to forever tie my baseball fandom to something sick and untoward?

Institutional racism and how it informs all of us in our daily lives is a worthwhile and engaging topic. Not really super appropriate for a baseball game thread, but I’m happy to have the conversation in any forum. I don’t believe that a players’ race has any consequence in whether I like them or not - but maybe it does. That’s the whole point behind unconscious bias anyway. Your approach, however, was unhelpful - it causes the subject (myself not this case) to be defensive and uncomfortable - and whatever point you’re trying to make falls of deaf ears. I was ready to ramble off some stats and game log into, and instead I’m an inveterate racist that you’re ashamed to be associated with. Based on a message board post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    10 pages about Garrett's one pitch and none about Hembree who walked two and hit a batter in a tie game in the ninth, while taking his customary 3.5 minutes between pitches.
    Garrett literally did NOTHING wrong…nothing….BUT those in charge of calling fir a high pitch location just don’t understand baseball. That’s my issue. Crazy he lifted that pitch that far but even crazier would be him getting on top of that and rolling over for the out at home. Virtually impossible on that pitch.

Players aside….those making decisions co to use not to do everything they can to put the Reds in the best position to win.

Hopefully mods keep these last pages of discussion off today’s game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Hopefully mods keep these last pages of discussion off today’s game thread.
    That's the intention. To be clear, if you want to discuss the topic that prompted this discussion, the game thread forum (or any sports-related forum) is pretty clearly not the place to do it.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-27-2021),Ironman92 (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Your approach, however, was unhelpful - it causes the subject (myself not this case) to be defensive and uncomfortable - and whatever point you’re trying to make falls of deaf ears..
    If you read the last few pages of this game thread, I think you will find an intelligent, thoughtful, well meaning discussion of race within all the discomfort and defensiveness. You have made some excellent points yourself, I learned from you and others, which is what should always be the goal. I consider this discussion a great success, even if I personally am getting hammered for it. Talking about race in this society will always be uncomfortable, but it’s still a productive discussion to have.

One of the main problems with race in our society is that no one wants to talk about it, it’s always considered inappropriate, too uncomfortable. But it’s uncomfortable only because we refuse to talk about it. The more we talk about it, the more comfortable we become about it, the more we learn from each other, the more progress we make on the subject. I will say that I am glad (and surprised) that the Moderators and Boss-Hogg have decided to keep this discussion up and not edit it out. I hope everyone has a chance to read it and learn from it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?