Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859 LastLast

Thread: 7-26-21 Reds @ Cubs 8:05pm

Re: 7-26-21 Reds @ Cubs 8:05pm

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    How I wish Larkin was in the booth so he could explain why bunting Votto here makes sense
    I guess some people don’t like a “certain kind” of broadcaster.

2. Likes:

JFLegal (07-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’d argue part of the “venom” spewed towards AG here is that he is thought to be acceptable by some people on here.

If Osich had his backers I had a feeling you’d see more hate directed towards him. But given that we are all on the same page that he sucks and is a placeholder, there’s not much to say.
    my thing is i thought we all agreed garrett sucked and that's why we don't think he's good at baseball.

757690 acted like we don't think he's good at baseball because of race, unless i misread him (note: there is no way i misread him). yet, he still doesn't have the courage to address his terrible comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    I guess some people don’t like a “certain kind” of broadcaster.
    hey, you said you were going to bed! lmao.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    AG deserved every bit of that. What a god awful pitch too.
    That pitch was actually nowhere near the zone (how you should pitch Baez, although downstairs) but he accidentally reached out and made good contact with it. Still not sure how he hit it that far. Go back and look at the swing. It's ridiculous.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

wlf WV (07-27-2021)

10 pages about Garrett's one pitch and none about Hembree who walked two and hit a batter in a tie game in the ninth, while taking his customary 3.5 minutes between pitches.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

8. Likes:

Big Klu (07-27-2021),BluegrassRedleg (07-27-2021),CySeymour (07-27-2021),Fil3232 (07-27-2021),Patrick Bateman (07-27-2021),Powder River (07-27-2021),Revering4Blue (07-27-2021),wlf WV (07-27-2021)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I don't think anybody can touch you. I think he's out. Seriously
    He is technically out there, but what do the rules say about the runner coming home from third? Assuming the Cubs still win, but that should not be scored a hit.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

this loss is 100% on the offense. we are arguing about the wrong stuff. barnhart's AB was the biggest turning point in this game.

but i'll still call out nonsense like "reds fans don't like amir garrett cause he's black." so incredibly stupid. would probably be the most popular player on the team if he was actually good.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 07-27-2021 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    He is technically out there, but what do the rules say about the runner coming home from third? Assuming the Cubs still win, but that should not be scored a hit.
    yeah, winker would have needed to catch the ball for it to matter, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    my thing is i thought we all agreed garrett sucked and that's why we don't think he's good at baseball.

757690 acted like we don't think he's good at baseball because of race, unless i misread him (note: there is no way i misread him). yet, he still doesn't have the courage to address his terrible comments.
    I walked away because of the guidelines of this board. But since others are not letting it go, I will address them more deeply.

I never brought up racism, though that is what I was implying. I do think that it is revealing that some many posters immediately thought it was about racism, even though I never brought it up. All I did was compare three players and the first thing that popped into people’s head was their race. That reveals that I wasn’t completely off base.

As others have mentioned, racism has been a part of Cincinnati culture my entire life and way before it as well. There is no denying it. One distinction I would like to make is that I am not calling anyone a racist, just that race clearly has played a role in how Garrett has been treated by many fans here. It doesn’t have to be conscious racism, just subtle racism that exists everywhere in our society that has seeped into this issue.

My hope is that everyone here proves me wrong. I would love to see that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

As much as I implied I’d be ok with payback when the Brewers took out Castellanos, I 100% don’t want the Reds throwing at Baez tomorrow.

14. Likes:

Ironman92 (07-27-2021)

I walked away because of the guidelines of this board. But since others are not letting it go, I will address them more deeply.

I never brought up racism, though that is what I was implying. I do think that it is revealing that some many posters immediately thought it was about racism, even though I never brought it up. All I did was compare three players and the first thing that popped into people’s head was their race. That reveals that I wasn’t completely off base.

As others have mentioned, racism has been a part of Cincinnati culture my entire life and way before it as well. There is no denying it. One distinction I would like to make is that I am not calling anyone a racist, just that race clearly has played a role in how Garrett has been treated by many fans here. It doesn’t have to be conscious racism, just subtle racism that exists everywhere in our society that has seeped into this issue.

See this is troubling to me.

You admittedly implied racism, but when others recognized it and called it out…that somehow proves your point? (Or adds to it, I’m not looking for word games)

(And this just speaks to the logic here rather than wanting to turn this into a banned political discussion). It could be any topic, but here it was racism.

16. Likes:

JFLegal (07-27-2021),TexasRedsFan (07-27-2021)

Garrett is having a miserable year like a lot of other Red Legs but to come on here and say you hate him so much that you’re actually rooting against him and the Reds when he is in the game is pretty weird. Other than one obvious explanation

18. Likes:

Moose Herd (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    As much as I implied I’d be ok with payback when the Brewers took out Castellanos, I 100% don’t want the Reds throwing at Baez tomorrow.
    It won't happen. There will be warnings before the game even starts.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

That is kind of weak. You can't clearly imply racism and then say people being smart enough to understand the implication proves the assumption was correct. That isn't reasonable.

21. Likes:

JFLegal (07-27-2021),TexasRedsFan (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    this loss is 100% on the offense. we are arguing about the wrong stuff.

but i'll still call out nonsense like "reds fans don't like amir garrett cause he's black." so incredibly stupid. would probably be the most popular player on the team if he was actually good.
    Yeah he didn’t need to go there. It’s an anonymous message board. None of knows really anything about who we’re engaging with. Probably best not to guess what people are thinking… you’ll often be wrong, and there’s no prize for being right.

Once you accuse someone of having racial biases in an argument, the tenor changes dramatically. I think I understand where he’s coming from to an extent - but it’s just not appropriate to drop a nuclear bomb in a fist fight. We are all on the same team in theory. We all have reasons for posting here. On a night like tonight - for me anyway - it’s to air out frustrations that come from watching this team every day. I invest a lot of time in it and no one in my life cares even a tiny bit about Reds baseball. It’s therapy - these threads. Tomorrow is another day.

so, you're saying reds' fans are racist? because of criticism of garrett? explain the criticism of votto, who is actually good at his sport?

Turn Off Ads?