Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859 LastLast

Thread: 7-26-21 Reds @ Cubs 8:05pm

Re: 7-26-21 Reds @ Cubs 8:05pm

People have certainly ripped Votto on here a lot at times. Saurez as well. Senzel too. Farmer has actually been considerably better than could be expected and people kill him at times. And the Shogo hate is like a tangible thing you can feel.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    As much as I implied I’d be ok with payback when the Brewers took out Castellanos, I 100% don’t want the Reds throwing at Baez tomorrow.
    oh, they better be throwing at him.

Quote Originally Posted by coryfly View Post
    People have certainly ripped Votto on here a lot at times. Saurez as well. Senzel too. Farmer has actually been considerably better than could be expected and people kill him at times. And the Shogo hate is like a tangible thing you can feel.
    so, we're racist against everyone?

that's equality my brothers and sisters!

5. Likes:

Monster Man (07-27-2021)

That is kind of weak. You can't clearly imply racism and then say people being smart enough to understand the implication proves the assumption was correct. That isn't reasonable.
    See this is troubling to me.

You admittedly implied racism, but when others recognized it and called it out…that somehow proves your point? (Or adds to it, I’m not looking for word games)

(And this just speaks to the logic here rather than wanting to turn this into a banned political discussion). It could be any topic, but here it was racism.
    If there was no racism behind the comments, no one would have figured out what I was referring to, people just would have been confused. All I did was compare three players. There are so many things they have in common and don’t have in common. But it was obvious to nearly everyone what I was referring to.

Again, I am calling out the institutionalized racism that leads to such comments, I am not calling out anyone for being racist. The fact that nearly everyone knew right away what I was talking about shows how established racism is in our society.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The comments against Garrett go way beyond his play, which is why I don’t by the “it’s because he sucks” argument. Garrett gets attacked personally. Read the comments. And it really doesn’t matter what he does. When he yells at Rizzo, he gets called a thug and a punk. When he doesn’t respond to Baez’s taunts, he gets called a coward and worse.

It’s personal with Garrett, just like it was personal with Eric Davis (who was an amazing player) and others.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If there was no racism behind the comments, no one would have figured out what I was referring to, people just would have been confused. All I did was compare three players. There are so many things they have in common and don’t have in common. But it was obvious to nearly everyone what I was referring to.

Again, I am calling out the institutionalized racism that leads to such comments, I am not calling out anyone for being racist. The fact that nearly everyone knew right away what I was talking about shows how established racism is in our society.
    The fact that people understood what you intentionally implied shows that the issue of race is a major way we compare and contrast people and groups in today's society.

They call me "chef"

The best place to have a discussion about how an athlete's race plays into the conscious and sub-conscious biases and racism displayed by a fan base is 100% definitely on a game thread filled with midwestern sports fans who just saw their team blow the game.

10. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (07-27-2021)

The poster who lit the fuse here by saying he/she roots against Amir is a rather new, fairly miserable poster.

So please take his/her comments for what they are worth.

The comments against Garrett go way beyond his play, which is why I don’t by the “it’s because he sucks” argument. Garrett gets attacked personally. Read the comments. And it really doesn’t matter what he does. When he yells at Rizzo, he gets called a thug and a punk. When he doesn’t respond to Baez’s taunts, he gets called a coward and worse.

It’s personal with Garrett, just like it was personal with Eric Davis (who was an amazing player) and others.
    I saw a ton of people say he walked away like he should have tonight. I don't remember anyone ever calling him a thug. Not saying they didn't though. I have no issues with people calling him a punk though. I have acted just like Garrett before playing sports and would characterize my behavior the same way. I was a punk. It happens. Like I said earlier, he is a basketball player playing baseball like a basketball player. When you talk and don't back it up people are doing to come at you though. When you demonstrate and suck people are going to come at you. I feel like he understand that tbh. I do remember people loving him when he was playing well though. Who else has yelled at Rizzo like that and not been criticized? I think people say some personal things about other players as well. Honestly, we could probably all say less negative things about all of these guys (me included). I just tend to think it is more frustration in their play than anything else. I know Amir is a different kind of dude though because of how he acts out there. I'll be honest, a part of me was really wanting him to SO Baez and flex all over him, lol. So I like that sort of attitude in a way. Again, I'm a basketball guy who loves the Reds though.

I don't know anything about how Davis was treated. He was my favorite player by a mile and one of the greatest baseball thrills for me was going to Cincinnati when I was a kid and he hit a bomb early in the game. I grew up poor and it was literally the only vacation my family ever took. I have zero doubt he faced some racism though. People are idiots.

If there was no racism behind the comments, no one would have figured out what I was referring to, people just would have been confused.
    Ok, you can't seriously believe that. You admit you're baiting people to mention race (and you made it so obvious that *no one* could've been "confused"). And then when they do, it somehow proves that any complaints about Garrett made by people on this board are coming from a place of racism???

It sounds like your true position is that when it comes to black players on the Cincinnati Reds, people are not allowed to say anything remotely critical. Because even if it isn't truly racist, *it could be* and that's bad enough.

Sorry, I don't normally engage in this kind of stuff. But Amir Garrett has acted incredibly stupid in ways that hurt his team and I would feel 100% percent the same if he were white, brown, yellow, green, whatever. I judge him solely on his actions and I believe most everyone else on the board does as well. If one is constantly looking to detect racism behind people's 'intent' on the internet, one will always convince him/herself that they have found it.

14. Likes:

jimbo (07-27-2021),Monster Man (07-27-2021),Powder River (07-27-2021),TheBigLebowski (07-27-2021)

Let’s not be naive. You worded it very clear to imply race, and everyone figuring that out simultaneously is not at all a commentary on systemic racism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

The poster who lit the fuse here by saying he/she roots against Amir is a rather new, fairly miserable poster.

So please take his/her comments for what they are worth.
    He isn't very good. Blackor white. The whole bullpen isn't. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to acknowledge that. Osich, Brach, Garrett, hendrix, Doolittle. I mean damn

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that the Garrett haters love Castellanos and loved Pete Rose for the exact same attitude.

So embarrassed to be a Reds fan sometimes.
    There’s always someone willing to step up and snatch any opportunity to virtue signal. It’s as American as a burrito.

Posts like yours make YOU ashamed, and that’s right where you should stop, my friend.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

18. Likes:

Monster Man (07-27-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Ok. Another one for the ole “ignore” list.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

Monster Man (07-27-2021)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Looks like my deciding to go to bed after 8 innings was the winning move after reading the last group of posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

22. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (07-27-2021),traderumor (07-27-2021),wlf WV (07-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?