Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stand Pat?

Stand Pat?

I don’t necessarily think there’s a combination of moves that pushes us into the World Series mix if we buy and I don’t think there are a lot of alluring pieces if we sell.

It’s not a popular take because it’s not exciting but is it actually in our best interest to stand pat at the trade deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stand Pat?

The only way the Reds are a legit title contender this year is if they go nuts and pull off a mega deal for Turner and Scherzer while also doing a deal for a closer. That would probably take moving 3 or 4 of our top 5 prospects. Standing pat would pi$$ off everyone short term, but long term it's probably the smart move. Maybe deal Tucker, Sonny, or Miley at the dead line in a sell off.

4. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Red Smokey View Post
    I don’t necessarily think there’s a combination of moves that pushes us into the World Series mix if we buy and I don’t think there are a lot of alluring pieces if we sell.

It’s not a popular take because it’s not exciting but is it actually in our best interest to stand pat at the trade deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    works in the reds' front office ^^^

6. Likes:

REDREAD (07-27-2021),SomeCallMeTim (07-27-2021)

The Reds need to add six decent pitchers to have any chance at contending. Probably two starters and four relievers. And they'd still have to come back from seven games down.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

No benefit to standing pat. If you don’t think you can win this year, then begin to improve for next year. Call it buying, selling, whatever.

9. Likes:

757690 (07-27-2021),HokieRed (07-27-2021),Joeyjection19 (07-27-2021),MrRedSkull (07-27-2021),mth123 (07-27-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021),Revering4Blue (07-27-2021),Tuff Nut (07-27-2021)

It’s a close call right now

Attachment 17486
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No benefit to standing pat. If you don’t think you can win this year, then begin to improve for next year. Call it buying, selling, whatever.
    Aiming for .500 will bring people to games in August and September
    Go Gators!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Just getting guys back from the IR ..... Lorenzen, Atone, Sims, Moose, Castellanos, Senzel ... would be a HUGE second half boost IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

They need to buy guys who can help beyond this year. The team isn't good enough and they will lose stuff over the winter. Add pieces to the mix. Too much needs done to do it all in one winter. Get a couple things done now and it makes contention in 2022 possible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

REDREAD (07-27-2021),Revering4Blue (07-27-2021)

The more I think about it, the more this kinda makes sense. Maybe not stand pat in the traditional sense, but neither buy nor sell. While there are a good chunk of games left, this team is a ways back, and their best bat is hurt with a wrist injury none the less. There is no need to spend talent on rentals. Free up salary to acquire relief help for next year and/or pick up guys that will help beyond next season. Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft will likely be knocking down the door on the pitching front by seasons end. Barrero likely will be at SS. I don’t move any of those guys. Senzel and Moose will be back, even if you can’t trust Senzels health until he shows otherwise.

Moves I’d look to make before next season.

(Subtraction Moves)
    1. Dump Suarez. He should have gotten traded this past offseason. He’s the odd man out at this point.
    2. Trade Barnhart. Love the guy, but Stephenson is better. Barnhart could bring back a quality piece IMO.
    3. I think you need to move either Gray or Castillo. I could see arguments for either. But at this point, I think it’s Gray. Love the guy and what he has done here. But he’s older and has been injury prone this year. I still think he could bring a solid return though.

(Addition Moves)
    1. Pick up Wade Miley’s option.
    2. Blow up the bullpen and start over. The only guy I want back 100% is Antone. I’d probably keep Santillan and Guiterrez around for rotation depth or possible breakout in the pen.
    3. Acquire an impact CF if/when Cast opts out. I think a Naquin/Aquino platoon could hold down a spot if it had to, but Cast’s bat has been magic this year. You can’t just let him walk without adding something to make up that gap.

Lineup next year if DH

1b Votto/Moose
    2b India
    SS Barrero
    3b Senzel
    LF Winker
    CF (Naquin/Aquino)/Acquisition
    RF (Naquin/Aquino)/Acquisition
    C Stephenson
    DH Moose/Votto

No DH

1b Votto
    2b India
    SS Barrero
    3b Senzel/Moose
    LF Winker
    CF (Naquin/Aquino)/Acquisition
    RF (Naquin/Aquino)/Acquisition
    C Stephenson

Rotation

Castillo
    Mahle
    Miley
    Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft
    Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 07-27-2021 at 08:54 AM.

The Reds have been standing pat since the Fall of 1976. If the word "Reds" ever becomes politically incorrect, the new team name should be the Standing Pats.

20. Likes:

GAC (07-28-2021),MrRedSkull (07-27-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Might as well do nothing as its too late to thing the Reds will catch the Brewers. This FO has been fiddling while Rome burns.

I’m to the point of apathy when they continue to watch this BP implode every night and they insist batting a washed up slugger in the 5 spot.

I think the Reds should still try to buy a quality reliever that they can afford to keep for next year.
    Lorenzen is a pending FA. We need a bullpen deeper than Sims and Antone next year.
    Contrary to what Sadak says, now is a good time to get a reliever. The cost is not very high with so many teams no longer trying to win. We got Archie Bradley last year for basically nothing. In the trades that have happened this year, the "buyer" has not really overpaid. It's still a buyer's market.. it always is, unless you are looking for a #1 starter. Bats and relievers are pretty cheap to get at the deadline.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think they should make moves that prepare them for next year. Rentals should be out of the picture. They’re running out of time and manpower to win the division.

24. Likes:

HokieRed (07-27-2021),Old school 1983 (07-27-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021),Revering4Blue (07-27-2021),SomeCallMeTim (07-27-2021)

Turn Off Ads?