Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Deadline hypotheticals

2021 Deadline hypotheticals

I just saw the Red Sox are exploring a trade for Rizzo due to their lack of production at 1b.

So the question becomes, if the Reds decide to stand pat/ partial sell, should they consider moving Votto. (assume for purposes of this exercise that he would waive his no-trade to get a good shot at a WS.)

Has he regained enough value this past two months to get a return?

What could he get back? Would the financial and positional flexibility make it worth it?

Would I continue to follow the Reds if they moved him? (yes but less)

After this year, Votto is signed for 2 at $25 mil per with option at $20mil / $7 buyout for 2024.

If Votto were in Boston, how many doubles could he hit off the wall?
    Last edited by klw; 07-27-2021 at 12:31 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (07-27-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2021 Deadline hypotheticals

Nobody is taking Votto's contract. You aren't getting anything of value for him either, even if you eat a bunch of it.

Also, if he's truly back and continue this into next year, why would you want to get rid of one of the best bats in the lineup knowing you're losing Castellanos already?

I was thinking about this yesterday, given Votto’s recent run of success with the bat. I think it’s pretty unlikely that anyone wants any part of paying $70MM for a guy who’s been about average offensively for the past three years, other than a nice month or so in 2021.

Also, I don’t trust ownership to reinvest the savings into anything that helps the product on the field. If we’re eating most of the contract anyway, I’d rather Votto stay here and retire a Red.

They only way Votto is traded is in complete fire sale rebuild IMO. He's not going anywhere.

How many times does it have to be said?
    Votto has earned a no trade clause in his contract.

Joey has made it clear he wants to stay in Cincinnati, he's not going anywhere.

8. Likes:

CySeymour (07-28-2021),HammerTime (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Ron, some people hear, but just don’t listen.

10. Likes:

CySeymour (07-28-2021)

A couple hypotheticals for you. Wade Miley and Tucker Barnhart to Toronto for Simeon Woods Richardson, Riley Adams and Samad Taylor. Who says no?

Luis Castillo and Nick Senzel to Atlanta for Christain Pache (or Drew Waters but I prefer Pache), Austin Jackson and Jared Shuster. Who say no to that one?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Votto, like anyone else, may change their mind. I assume that he won't but if it becomes clear to him that the Reds will not be able to compete for a title in what is left in his career that he may decide to agree to move. I don't want him off the Reds as I doubt I would still be following them after the past few years were he not on the team. For the Reds, moving him would allow Moose and Stephenson to share 1st, perhaps allow Senzel to move into the infield, and perhaps keep the Stephenson/Barnhart mix behind the plate financially. I have no faith that they would use the Reds would use the payflex for anything.

nm

I’ve always been in the same boat, but if there ever was a time Votto would waive that no trade clause it would likely be during a rejuvenated age 37 season where ownership has shown they are absolutely not committed to winning, and Votto has had another taste of winning.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Wonder if the Reds could deal for Max Kepler. Sounds like the Twins have made him available. If so, the Reds could grab him to play RF until Cast returns, then CF for the rest of the season plus October. He's controlled through at least 2023, so if Cast leaves, he can move back into right field with Senzel going back to CF (if he's not traded).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

16. Likes:

goreds2 (07-28-2021)

I would quit baseball altogether if I had to watch Votto in a Red Sox uniform, even if it meant he had a better chance of winning a title. He's ours forever, try and enjoy it.

18. Likes:

CySeymour (07-28-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I would quit baseball altogether if I had to watch Votto in a Red Sox uniform, even if it meant he had a better chance of winning a title. He's ours forever, try and enjoy it.
    Would it change your mind by learning that Joey Votto's idol was Ted Williams? Getting to play for the Sox might be a thrill for him.

That said, I don't want him gone either. I love having the guy on the Reds.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

goreds2 (07-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    A couple hypotheticals for you. Wade Miley and Tucker Barnhart to Toronto for Simeon Woods Richardson, Riley Adams and Samad Taylor. Who says no?

Luis Castillo and Nick Senzel to Atlanta for Christain Pache (or Drew Waters but I prefer Pache), Austin Jackson and Jared Shuster. Who say no to that one?
    1. Toronto says no.

2. Reds say no. Emphatically.

$50 million. Even if Votto was producing at 2/3 of his MVP caliber seasons, the best any team would take on is half that and I would think the Reds would have to kick in prospects just to make the deal.

Take Votto’s no trade off the table and I just don’t see how any team is going to take on that contract for age 38-39 seasons.

Turn Off Ads?