Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Outside the Top 10: Who Do You Like?

Outside the Top 10: Who Do You Like?

One of the best things about following minor league baseball is the improvements that often come from out of nowhere. (Graham Ashcraft waves hi.)
    What prospects do you like that aren't in the Reds' top 10? Provide one hitter and one pitcher, if possible.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument and expediency, that Doug Gray's list at the halfway mark of the season is the primary source:

1. Greene
    2. Lodolo
    3. Barrero
    4. McLain
    5. Ashcraft
    6. Santillan
    7. Hendrick
    8. Roa
    9. Bonnin
    10. Allen

Mine:

Francisco Urbaez, 2B A+ Dayton
    All sorts of green flags for Urbaez as a prospect. Let's start with his production: his line is .340/ .435/ .477/ .912. While he's a bit old for the level, this is his first taste of professional baseball. He's in Advanced A. He's got nearly as many BBs as Ks on the season. He's getting better as the season goes along. (His last 28 days, over 100 ABs: .378/ .480/ .549/ 1.028. Woof.) The league in which he's performing isn't a hitter's haven. He's hitting righties and lefties, young, and old. He's even proven relatively sure-handed at 2B, SS, and is trying 3B to boot. Dude's just getting it done.

Carson Spiers, SP Dayton
    Spiers is often ignored, considering the relative wealth of SP prospects who are likely ahead of him in the pecking order. Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Tony Santillan, Noah Davis, Christian Roa, Bryce Bonnin, even Lyon Richardson-- all are probably going to be thought of before settling on Spiers.

They shouldn't.

Spiers peripherals are in a league with the top prospects on the Reds' farm. The 11 K/9 is outstanding, and when combined with the just over 2 BB/9, becomes elite. He doesn't give up many hits either (7.8 overall between low and high A clubs). An artificially high HR rate obscures his dominance a bit. He is old for an A ball prospect, but there's a ton to like in his first season of professional baseball.

2. Likes:

AlaskaReds (07-28-2021),UKFlounder (07-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Outside the Top 10: Who Do You Like?

I know he's old for his league, but I've seen Noah Davis several times now and I think he's physically incapable of throwing the ball straight. The umps are always checking his mitt for goo and opposing batters just gawk after they look at strike 3. Robert Stephenson's performances at Dayton remind me that TNSTAAPP, but I'm looking forward to Davis pitching in the big leagues.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

He’s apparently going to Colorado in the Givens deal

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I know he's old for his league, but I've seen Noah Davis several times now and I think he's physically incapable of throwing the ball straight. The umps are always checking his mitt for goo and opposing batters just gawk after they look at strike 3. Robert Stephenson's performances at Dayton remind me that TNSTAAPP, but I'm looking forward to Davis pitching in the big leagues.

6. Likes:

dfs (07-28-2021)

Pitcher - Lyon Richardson - Dayton - Turns 22 next January. Hopefully becomes the next Ashcraft.

Hitter - Elly De La Cruz - Daytona - Turns 20 next January. 6' 2" 150 pound power hitter. Wondering what kind of power he will have when he is 180 pounds+.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Hitter - Allan Cerda, OF, Daytona

Really needs to improve his contact rate, but can take a walk and has plenty of pop in his bat. Also an above average defender with a good arm.

Pitcher - Braxton Roxby, RP, Chattanooga

Moving fast through the org. Throws some of the filthiest breaking balls I've ever seen. Lacks control at times, but the results have been good so far.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Rece Hinds once he gets healthy. Could see him as a more versatile Aristides Aquino.

Andrew Abbott as a pitcher.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-29-2021 at 10:26 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I know little about draftees, but I think I like Nelson and Abbott from this year's draft.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I like Lorenzo Cedrola. He's fallen back down to earth a bit but he's still having a strong season in AA. I kind of doubt he'll ever be a regular unless he discovers more pop but he could at least be a major league reserve outfielder, I believe.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'll try to avoid players who were already mentioned.

Pitcher: Dauri Moreta
    He has struck out more than 1/3 of the batters he has faced between AA and AAA. Few pitchers do that, and Moreta has done that while walking just 6% of batters he has faced. Barring a blowup, he pretty much seems like a lock to get on the 40-man roster by September.

Hitter: Tyler Callihan
    Although speed and defense will never be part of his game, what he does at the plate may be just enough to carry him. He's barely 21 years old, striking out only 13% of the time, and has some decent power potential. I see someone who will produce better than Christian Walker on the strong side of a platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like Lorenzo Cedrola. He's fallen back down to earth a bit but he's still having a strong season in AA. I kind of doubt he'll ever be a regular unless he discovers more pop but he could at least be a major league reserve outfielder, I believe.
    Pretty good season ultimately for my guy Lorenzo. .817 OPS for a 23-year-old outfielder in AA is rock solid especially since he's considered a glove first guy. One fascinating wrinkle is that in his league he had both the second lowest strikeout and walk rates. So he's very much a bat on ball guy and his .345 BABIP this year gave him a nice .320 batting average.

I think Ohayou was right about Allan Cerda, too. Between low A and high A he hit .250/.361/.523 with 17 HRs, and improved his batting average after leaving the rough Daytona hitting environment. He did all of this as a 21-year-old to boot, so he's ahead of the curve. Fangraphs said he has "an electric uppercut swing, but a corner outfield future means that unless he develops elite power, the amount of contact Cerda makes will need to increase for him to profile" going into this season and I think he's flashed elite power and enough contact to make it work with a decent eye to boot. I get a little bit of a Jose Siri vibe from the profile but when I squint I see a possible Tommy Pham type hitter here.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

BillDoran (09-21-2021)

If I had to name 2 under the radar prospects it would be a pair of undrafted signings from last year in SP James Proctor and OF Jacob Hurtubise. I've watched James Proctor's stats all year and he's had a ton of very good starts. I think he makes the club at some point in his career. Jacob Hurtubise is another guy I have been intrigued by. He has all kinds of speed and gets on base a ton, .413 OBP. Unfortunately he has zero power currently...if he could ever develop any semblance of power he has a future.

In addition, I have Hinds comfortably in my top 10 at #7 (not including Santillan). Also I like Jose Torres for his D alone, the fact that he is already hitting is a big bonus. He is also in my top 10 at #9. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being our starting SS in 3-4 years.
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-21-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Jacob Hurtubise is another guy I have been intrigued by. He has all kinds of speed and gets on base a ton, .413 OBP. Unfortunately he has zero power currently...if he could ever develop any semblance of power he has a future.
    Hurtubise is an easy guy to root for and it's pretty clear his teammates think the world of him. You gotta love his obp, but have to wonder if he can continue to do that at AA or higher without more power. He wasn't young for his league so the next year should give you an answer.

I'll add that it's pretty clear that Matt McLain can hit enough to get to the majors. I've never been too picky about the shortstops at Dayton. My eye didn't balk at Todd Frazier or Billy Hamilton, but I'll be surprised if McLain plays an inning of major league shortstop.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?