Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Collegiate Conference Realignment

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Honestly, I am not overly concerned at this point. I think the ball is rolling, but I doubt the final outcome is as simple as Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC. If I had to wager, I may even lean Texas backs out and goes Indy and Oklahoma takes OK State to the SEC with them. I just can't get my head around why Texas would go to the SEC. Everyone says it is about money and the brand.....but Texas already has the largest athletic budget in the country and a brand larger than any school in the SEC. Also, Texas fans will never accept going 8-4 being about as good as it gets which is what it would be in the SEC. Texas will expect to be treated as special, and there is no way schools like Bama, Florida and Georgia will put up with their diva ways. Finally, one of Texas's complaints about the Big 12 is the markets and how they would get more from playing in SoCal, South Bend and other spotlight markets like ND is able to do as an independent......but now they are going to be happy playing in Starkville, MS, Lexington, KY, and Columbia, SC? Texas makes no sense to me in the SEC....but I think OK and OK State do fit.

From the SEC side, why do schools like Arkansas, Ole Miss, UK, South Carolina, etc. want to add two schools that are just going to beat them every year? I get it is more money, but it is more money for all of the SEC schools....so how does it help the bottom half of the schools climb to relevance with two more superior programs? Finally, the old alliance of Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina will no longer have enough votes to veto schools if they expand.....so if they support this expansion, FSU, Clemson, Ga. Tech and U of L will no longer be off the table in future expansion decisions.

Should I be worried as a WVU fan? Maybe, but it is just too early right now. There is too much dust to settle to see how this thing plays out. Some people think the ACC would be an option since they took in U of L. kind of knocking down their door of only high level academic schools....but I am doubtful. WVU has been trying to get into the ACC off and on since they chose Virginia over WVU in 1953...and it just has never happened. Maybe the Big 12 adds Cincy, UCF, BYU and Houston and moves forward earning far less on their next television contract....not the optimal outcome, but the whole P5 identifier goes away under the new 12 team playoff. When WVU was in the Big East in its final years, we were getting about half of the payout as the SEC, but WVU Football was more than relevant during that period.

Change is coming....I just do not think it is the change that most people think from the recent reports.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Wonder what the big10+4 will do? maybe A&M can go there
    I keep hearing that the Big10 would take in Kansas.....but I find it hard to believe anyone would touch Kansas right now. The whole athletic department is under investigation....and it is probably the biggest mess in college athletics right now. I get the Big10 took in Rutgers, but Kansas football is a whole different level of bad at this point.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It takes 3/4 of the league to approve it.

You know A&M won’t. Would Arkansas, LSU, and Missouri? Not too sure about the Alabama and Mississippi schools.

Could do a pod system as well:

SEC North:
    Kentucky
    Arkansas
    Vanderbilt
    Missouri

SEC East:
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina
    Tennessee

SEC South:
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

SEC West:
    LSU
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    No, if Texas goes to the SEC....they need to be grouped with Alabama, Auburn and LSU
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I laughed and then I thought...and no, I have never seen the Longhorn Network.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Wow...
    The Big 12 athletic directors and their university presidents and chancellors held a videoconference on Thursday evening to discuss the possible moves. Both OU and Texas were invited to the meeting but declined to participate in the call, sources said.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...homa-texas-sec

Can't even fake it for a zoom call
    Go Gators!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I keep hearing that the Big10 would take in Kansas.....but I find it hard to believe anyone would touch Kansas right now. The whole athletic department is under investigation....and it is probably the biggest mess in college athletics right now. I get the Big10 took in Rutgers, but Kansas football is a whole different level of bad at this point.
    We have been down this road before. The B1G took in Rutgers for TV sets. Now if they remain true to that ideology then Kansas isn't on their radar. However there is that AAU thing that the B1G seems to take to heart. Only 3 Big 12 schools are members of the AAU...Texas, Iowa State, and Kansas. It is also worth noting that A&M is a member as well.

Ok, so if Oklahoma and Texas go to the SEC then that leaves Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, and West Virginia. Could the B12 survive? Would they stick with 8 teams or would they try and add two more? Houston would seem to be the most logical fit and they could try to keep it regional with SMU or they could stretch out a bit to Memphis or even Cincinnati or UCF.

What if they disband? I mean I really can't imagine that happening but they're losing their top 2 programs in their top revenue generating sport. So for s's & g's lets break down what would happen....

Iowa State and Kansas to the B10 - These are the only two remaining B12 schools in the AAU. Iowa State has the 3rd largest stadium in the B12 behind OU and UT and a large fanbase. Kansas would give the B10 a true blue blood basketball program (though some might consider Mich St. BB). The B1G would have their pick of the litter and Iowa State and Kansas would appear to be the best fits. They would probably push Purdue to the east and put Kansas and Iowa St in the west.

Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State to the PAC12. The 3 remaining Texas schools would probably want to stay together if possible. This would push the PAC12 to 16 to match with the SEC and the B1G. The P12 would probably split up divisions to have the 4 new schools along with old friend Colorado, then Utah, Arizona, and Arizona State and have the other side with USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Wash, Wash St, Oregon, and Oregon State.

That leaves West Virginia and Kansas State. WVU is feeling like a foster school at this point and Kansas St will suffer from its combined lack of any consistently good football or bball programs, smaller school, and lack of strong TV market. I think the best spot for both would be the AAC (currently with 11 football programs if including Navy - associate member). The AAC has a very large footprint with some schools/programs already in the Big 12 area. They could easily go to divisions and have Kansas St in the west with others like Houston, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and Memphis and place West Virginia with Cincinnati, UCF, ECU, USF, and Temple. That would strengthen the AAC into a 12 team conference with enough firepower in both football and basketball to be respected.

I am not ready to write the Big 12 off yet. I think Memphis and Cincinnati could slide in for the two possible vacancies. And if I was the conference I wouldn't stop there. Approach Houston and SMU. And BYU is still out there.

I don't think there is any chance the Pac12 will touch Baylor and TCU.
    Go Gators!

11. Likes:

Kinsm (07-28-2021)

I don't think there is any chance the Pac12 will touch Baylor and TCU.
    The PAC 12 better be concerned about keeping their own schools.

I laughed and then I thought...and no, I have never seen the Longhorn Network.
    When I had Verizon Fios for my cable TV I got it. But never watched it for one i am not a Texas fan and two it was not offered as a HD channel. I always thought it was a real waste and I have no idea what ESPN was thinking when they made a school specific channel?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The PAC 12 better be concerned about keeping their own schools.
    Colorado and Utah to the big10 makes some sense, certainly a bigger splash then Iowa State and Kansas.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    When I had Verizon Fios for my cable TV I got it. But never watched it for one i am not a Texas fan and two it was not offered as a HD channel. I always thought it was a real waste and I have no idea what ESPN was thinking when they made a school specific channel?
    Well I got to admit my travels to Texas have been limited. Couple that with when I was there it was not football season. Now I do have extended family in the Austin area but they are Sooner fans...but I can attest that I never watched nor seen the Longhorn Network on any TV I ever watched.

Colorado and Utah to the big10 makes some sense, certainly a bigger splash then Iowa State and Kansas.
    LOL...dunno about that but 'Zona and ASU to the Big 12 makes some sense.

Colorado does make some sense, its a little out there geographically, but it would give Nebraska a partner in the west. I don't see what Utah brings other than being another state school.

Expansion is about football and money. The B1G says they want an AAU designation, but I don't know if that is a must if its the right school. Apparently the B1G still feels a little spurned by ND when they thought they were coming into the conference years ago.

I could see them going Colorado, Pitt, and/or Missouri. Maybe dive further east with Virginia and Va Tech. Would UNC band together with Duke and NC State?

The B1G often acts like don't have a clue, but are either the first or second most powerful conference out there. They will react and add if Texas and OU go. I also think the Big 12 will be decimated.

Turn Off Ads?