Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Collegiate Conference Realignment

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    UC has a 1.5B$ endowment, enrolls 46K, and is in a much larger urban area than WVU which has a 0.6B$ endowment, enrolls 26K, and is in a much smaller tv market. Not to mention academically UC is climbing in world/us rankings.

I strongly believe the Big12 can survive, what I see dying is smaller conferences like the American and/or Mountain West.
    This is about brands, and Cincinnati is not on the same level as WVU in regards to football brand. I personally am a fan of what Cincinnati has did in football in recent years, but the truth is it occupies the 3rd slot at best in its own city. We will just have to disagree, and wait to see who is correct.....but I am betting my house that WVU gets a call before Cincinnati.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

In that major realignment, why does Boise State end up as one of the programs treated worst in this process? They probably have the top non-power conference football brand nationally outside of BYU (not counting Notre Dame for these purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Clemson and Florida State to the SEC

North Carolina and Virginia to the B1G
    I have been saying this is a possibility also....but there has been some pushback in regards how strong the ACC's GOR is....and it would be nearly impossible financially to pluck one of them anytime soon. I have even been reading their GOR is so strong is a major reason that they have no real incentive to add anyone outside a ND.

There is a line of thought out there that seems to be gaining traction that nothing else major will happen soon....and everyone will wait to see in Texas and OK challenge the Big12 GOR in court. Then act based on the outcome of that challenge. If the Big12 GOR goes down in court, speculation is that FSU/Clemson would quickly move to SEC and the BIG10 would grab the two southern jewels known as UVa and UNC.

I go back and forth, but today I am leaning toward everyone holding status quo for the most part for a few years at least.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    This is about brands, and Cincinnati is not on the same level as WVU in regards to football brand. I personally am a fan of what Cincinnati has did in football in recent years, but the truth is it occupies the 3rd slot at best in its own city. We will just have to disagree, and wait to see who is correct.....but I am betting my house that WVU gets a call before Cincinnati.
    Believe it or not, I actually have two friends that sent their kids to UC for academic reasons. Not only is UC's brand soaring in football but academically as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    In that major realignment, why does Boise State end up as one of the programs treated worst in this process? They probably have the top non-power conference football brand nationally outside of BYU (not counting Notre Dame for these purposes).
    If I am WVU....and the Big12 talks of adding Boise State, I threaten to leave for the AAC. WVU, if forced to remain with the other 7 Big12 schools should insist the conference move more toward WVU in footprint with maybe the exception of BYU. Lubbock is as far as we want to go. I think you take the top two brands off the board from the AAC in UCF and Cincinnati. Then you strengthen your presence in FL by adding USF which does not leave UCF on an island. Then the 4th team is probably between Houston and BYU....both are political hot beds within the conference....BYU and their strict religious beliefs and the Texas schools not wanting Houston. A lot of WVU fans do not want Cincy, but this is about survival and you gladly take Cincy because they are legit on both revenue sports. If Houston and BYU are too much trouble, maybe Memphis. Again, if I am WVU, I feel a little emboldened knowing that the conference kind of needs me and OK State to stick around....and I demand the conference move East...not West.

Interestingly, most people think UCF and Cincinnati are the two biggest football draws in the AAC....but I recently read it is actually Navy. The problem there is their other sports is just not at that level, and I would refuse to entertain the old Big East hybrid model even though there could be an argument of adding Army and Navy as football only.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

If I am WVU....and the Big12 talks of adding Boise State, I threaten to leave for the AAC.
    Fair enough, but I'm more referring to the Kinsm scenario that has New Mexico, Colorado State, Utah State, Wyoming, Nevada, UNLV, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, Rice, UTEP, UT-San Antonio, and South Alabama all getting better treatment in realignment than Boise State.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Believe it or not, I actually have two friends that sent their kids to UC for academic reasons. Not only is UC's brand soaring in football but academically as well.
    I have nothing against Cincinnati. I have been more than impressed by their program in recent years.....but the metrics are simply not going to hold when it comes to overall football brand compared to WVU. Also, the WVU rivalries in the ACC are far stronger. Bringing back the Backyard Brawl (WVU-Pitt), Black Diamond Trophy (WVU - Va. Tech) and the Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy (WVU - Syracuse) is worth more than anything that Cincinnati brings to the ACC.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I am very bias.....but WVU is #15 in all time wins in Division 1 football. The only programs in the B12 that has more wins is Oklahoma and Texas. The only team in the ACC that has more football win than WVU is....Clemson which has 7 more wins. WVU has more college football wins than any team in the nation that does not have a National Championship.

Also, WVU is #20 in all time wins in Division 1 Basketball. The only Big12 teams that have move all time wins is Texas and Kansas. The only ACC teams with more all time wins is UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.
    Last edited by adkindo; 07-28-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

WV doesn't have any reason to worry about UC. WV could end up getting screwed in this latest round of musical chairs, but rest assured that if that happens Cincinnati will be on the outside with them looking in.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I am very bias.....but WVU is #15 in all time wins in Division 1 football. The only programs in the B12 that has more wins is Oklahoma and Texas. The only team in the ACC that has more football win than WVU is....Clemson which has 7 more wins. WVU has more college football wins than any team in the nation that does not have a National Championship.

Also, WVU is #20 in all time wins in Division 1 Basketball. The only Big12 teams that have move all time wins is Texas and Kansas. The only ACC teams with more all time wins is UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.
    The ACC wasn't squat in football until Florida St. joined. None of their original members have any football cache.

12. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-29-2021)

The ACC wasn't squat in football until Florida St. joined. None of their original members have any football cache.
    Clemson

There is a possibility of schools turning independent?
    I don't see it. The only school that can hold it's own as an independent is Notre Dame. If you're not affiliated with a conference, you're going to get screwed come playoff time as the super conferences will take all the playoff spots. That alone may get ND to join up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't see it. The only school that can hold it's own as an independent is Notre Dame. If you're not affiliated with a conference, you're going to get screwed come playoff time as the super conferences will take all the playoff spots. That alone may get ND to join up.
    Independents will also have a real tough time getting on peoples schedules and getting on TV.
    Go Gators!

16. Likes:

Chip R (07-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Independents will also have a real tough time getting on peoples schedules and getting on TV.
    Yeah. You'll probably have to play 9-10 conference games now and the OOC games will have to be against good opponents to keep up the strength of schedule.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

BYU with its religious affiliation is about as good as I think it could be for about 9 of 10 teams if they tried to go independent....better than most of them would do. The key is being big enough to have your own national television contract that will do numbers coast to coast. Some have speculated that Texas could, but like Notre Dame they would not make as much money independent as they can being in a conference.

Scheduling would be a nightmare. Most teams if independent would not provide enough pop for other P5 teams even if they won....and there would be a real probability they may lose. If WVU tried to go independent in 2021....they would probably have a hard time getting 5 P5 teams on their schedule.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?