Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dies at 72

ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dies at 72

Joseph “Dusty” Hill, ZZ Top’s bassist for more than 50 years, has died, the group’s longtime rep confirmed. No cause of death was cited.

The band’s Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard issued a statement:

“We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top’. We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’

“You will be missed greatly, amigo.”

Earlier this month, Gibbons and Beard played their first performances without Hill in more than 50 years, stating that the bassist had been forced to seek medical attention “to address a hip issue,” according to a statement, although his ailment was apparently more serious than they let on. “Per Dusty’s request the show must go on!,” the statement continued, and the band’s longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, filled in.
    https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...es-1235029656/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dies at 72

aw man...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (07-29-2021)

RIP....talk about a band that truly had their own unique style and sound.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-29-2021),goreds2 (07-29-2021)

Pre 80's ZZ Top was a serious monster blues band with a fat ass sound. I saw them about ten years ago at a winery in the Columbia Gorge, it was raining and they just killed it

8. Likes:

757690 (07-29-2021),919191 (08-02-2021),cumberlandreds (07-29-2021),GAC (08-08-2021),goreds2 (07-29-2021),Mitri (08-03-2021)

I always considered when a rock and roller, especially one that promoted the lifestyle that ZZ Top sang about, makes it to 70, it’s a big win.

If you ever saw them live, you can only be amazed at the sound that they created with just three members, bass, drums and one guitar.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

10. Likes:

goreds2 (07-29-2021),Tadasimha (07-29-2021)

ZZ was one of my favorites. Loved that sound! I wish I could have seen them in person but never really had the chance.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

goreds2 (07-29-2021),KeefeCato (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    ZZ was one of my favorites. Loved that sound! I wish I could have seen them in person but never really had the chance.
    I missed the boat on seeing them as well. RIP Dusty

14. Likes:

goreds2 (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I always considered when a rock and roller, especially one that promoted the lifestyle that ZZ Top sang about, makes it to 70, it’s a big win.

If you ever saw them live, you can only be amazed at the sound that they created with just three members, bass, drums and one guitar.
    Living to an old age is overrated. We're here for a good time, not a long time.

I loved their sound. La Grange is practically an anthem.

16. Likes:

goreds2 (07-29-2021)

Saw them about ten years ago, with my kids, at the Honda Associate Festival in Columbus. Did a nice Hendrix tribute. Just funny watching grandma's, with grandkids, getting their BIC lighters out to Tube Snake Boogy and shaking their stuff! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

goreds2 (08-13-2021)

Turn Off Ads?