Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolittle must go

Re: Dolittle must go

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    The sad thing about last night (besides TinkerBell's horrid managing) is that Doolittle threw well. The ball Smith hit was a good pitch. Doolittle threw 99 last night. He'd been floating around 93-94 this season. I'm sure the bullpen notified Bell how hard he was throwing and that tempted Bell. But you never mess with the flow of the game like that when your pitcher has come back with 2 strikeouts, and you particularly don't bring in Doolittle when the batter hits 100 points better against lefties than righties.
    The fact he was throwing upper 90’s was great. The pitch itself was terrible, it should have been out of the zone or not thrown at all. I don’t really blame the pitch on Doolittle though, I feel like he threw what was called.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    The fact he was throwing upper 90’s was great. The pitch itself was terrible, it should have been out of the zone or not thrown at all. I don’t really blame the pitch on Doolittle though, I feel like he threw what was called.
    Not to derail this thread over this, but Doolittle threw the pitch. He could have called it off. When a catcher calls a pitch, it’s a suggestion that the pitcher can either accept or decline. The pitcher is never obligated to throw what was called. In the end, the pitcher has the ball and he always has the final decision over what pitch is thrown.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

mth123 (08-01-2021),REDREAD (08-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not to derail this thread over this, but Doolittle threw the pitch. He could have called it off. When a catcher calls a pitch, it’s a suggestion that the pitcher can either accept or decline. The pitcher is never obligated to throw what was called. In the end, the pitcher has the ball and he always has the final decision over what pitch is thrown.
    It’s hard to say that definitively in this day and age of baseball. Pitches can be called from the bench, the catcher, or the pitcher. And it’s hard to guess who has the freedom to call their own on this team.

There are also some pitchers who like to call their own and others who simply are there to throw what’s called. Regardless, the entire situation should have never have happened, I’m just not sure who gets the majority of the blame. And he’s still next to be chopped IMO
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    And replace him with who? It’s not like the Reds have any options right now. They are the worst bullpen in baseball for a reason
    Sims is coming back any day now. So one of Doolittle or Hoffman is getting DFAd. Unless they come up with a made up injury so he can be put on the IL.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2021)

It’s hard to say that definitively in this day and age of baseball. Pitches can be called from the bench, the catcher, or the pitcher. And it’s hard to guess who has the freedom to call their own on this team.

There are also some pitchers who like to call their own and others who simply are there to throw what’s called. Regardless, the entire situation should have never have happened, I’m just not sure who gets the majority of the blame. And he’s still next to be chopped IMO
    I would be shocked if there are any major-league clubs who call pitches from the bench. That seems like more of a high school thing. MLB pitchers and catchers put in a lot of time with the pitching coach making a game plan on each batter. I'm sure the catcher is calling the pitches, and the pitcher can veto the call -- depending on the experience level of the pitcher and catcher.

For example, rookie pitchers probably are discouraged from shaking off two-time Gold Glove winner Tucker Barnhart, while veterans like Wade Miley and Sonny Gray have more freedom.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Sims is coming back any day now. So one of Doolittle or Hoffman is getting DFAd. Unless they come up with a made up injury so he can be put on the IL.
    I see an IL upcoming for Doolittle. I think he has bit of a stiff groin.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would be shocked if there are any major-league clubs who call pitches from the bench. That seems like more of a high school thing. MLB pitchers and catchers put in a lot of time with the pitching coach making a game plan on each batter. I'm sure the catcher is calling the pitches, and the pitcher can veto the call -- depending on the experience level of the pitcher and catcher.

For example, rookie pitchers probably are discouraged from shaking off two-time Gold Glove winner Tucker Barnhart, while veterans like Wade Miley and Sonny Gray have more freedom.
    I don’t doubt that at all. But what happens when you have rookie Stephenson with struggling Doolittle? Who gets the priority?

And replace him with who? It’s not like the Reds have any options right now. They are the worst bullpen in baseball for a reason
    Santillan
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Mitri (08-01-2021)

I don’t doubt that at all. But what happens when you have rookie Stephenson with struggling Doolittle? Who gets the priority?
    That has probably been discussed in the pregame meetings. And most of the time, they are probably on the same page, or can quickly get on the same page. But as Chris Welsh has said numerous times, ultimately it is the pitcher who has to take responsibility, because it is his performance that is in the balance -- not the catcher's.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

757690 (08-01-2021),REDREAD (08-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I see an IL upcoming for Doolittle. I think he has bit of a stiff groin.
    Family board?

17. Likes:

MR X (08-02-2021)

Can we just start a 'Must Go' thread and use it for the many players/coaches/manager that people think must go?

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-02-2021),SomeCallMeTim (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Yep. Doolittle does nothing for me at this point.
    sean does little.

Dolittle must go

How’s Blandino healing?

Turn Off Ads?