Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

All right, free agency has started in earnest. Just strolling down the Woj feed we've got:

- Semi Ojeleye to the Bucks (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em)
    - Blake Griffin signing a one-year deal to stay with the Nets
    - Norman Powell signing a 5/90 to stay in Portland. Somebody's got to go or that's a luxury tax nightmare
    - Devonte Graham to the Pelicans for 4/47 in exchange for a lottery-protected #1 pick
    - Daniel Theis to the Rockets for 4/36
    - Cody Zeller to Portland
    - Alex Caruso to the Bulls for 4/37
    - Derrick Rose signs for 3/43 to stay with the Knicks
    - Evan Fournier to the Knicks for 4/78
    - Dwight back to the Lakers
    - Gary Trent Jr. 3/54 to stay in Toronto
    - Trevor Ariza to the Lakers
    - Zach Collins to Spurs for 3/22. I predict they'll come to regret that.
    - Furky stays a Sixer for 3/15
    - McBuckets to the Spurs for 3/42. I really don't understand the Spurs.
    - Boban stays with the Mavs
    - Jeff Green to the Nuggets for 2/10
    - Kyle Lowry making 3/90 with the Heat
    - Chris Paul making 4/120 with the Suns, old PGs getting PAID
    - Torrey Craig to the Pacers for 2/10
    - TJ McConnell stays a Pacer for 4/35, I give that move three Dellavedova's
    - Tim Hardaway Jr. stays with the Mavs for 4/74, so he's overpaid again
    - Mike Conley stays with the Mavs for 3/72.5, go old PGs!
    - Kelly Olynyk to the Pistons for 3/37
    - Jarrett Allen 5/100 to stay with the Cavs
    - Nerlens Noel stays a Knick for 3/32
    - Alec Burks stays a Knick for 3/30, that team really can't stand having money
    - Lonzo Ball in a sign-and-trade to the Bulls and making 4/85, no idea what the trade is yet
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All right, free agency has started in earnest. Just strolling down the Woj feed we've got:

- Semi Ojeleye to the Bucks (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em)
    - Blake Griffin signing a one-year deal to stay with the Nets
    - Norman Powell signing a 5/90 to stay in Portland. Somebody's got to go or that's a luxury tax nightmare
    - Devonte Graham to the Pelicans for 4/47 in exchange for a lottery-protected #1 pick
    - Daniel Theis to the Rockets for 4/36
    - Cody Zeller to Portland
    - Alex Caruso to the Bulls for 4/37
    - Derrick Rose signs for 3/43 to stay with the Knicks
    - Evan Fournier to the Knicks for 4/78
    - Dwight back to the Lakers
    - Gary Trent Jr. 3/54 to stay in Toronto
    - Trevor Ariza to the Lakers
    - Zach Collins to Spurs for 3/22. I predict they'll come to regret that.
    - Furky stays a Sixer for 3/15
    - McBuckets to the Spurs for 3/42. I really don't understand the Spurs.
    - Boban stays with the Mavs
    - Jeff Green to the Nuggets for 2/10
    - Kyle Lowry making 3/90 with the Heat
    - Chris Paul making 4/120 with the Suns, old PGs getting PAID
    - Torrey Craig to the Pacers for 2/10
    - TJ McConnell stays a Pacer for 4/35, I give that move three Dellavedova's
    - Tim Hardaway Jr. stays with the Mavs for 4/74, so he's overpaid again
    - Mike Conley stays with the Mavs for 3/72.5, go old PGs!
    - Kelly Olynyk to the Pistons for 3/37
    - Jarrett Allen 5/100 to stay with the Cavs
    - Nerlens Noel stays a Knick for 3/32
    - Alec Burks stays a Knick for 3/30, that team really can't stand having money
    - Lonzo Ball in a sign-and-trade to the Bulls and making 4/85, no idea what the trade is yet
    I think Hardaway got market value from the Mavs especially when you look at Fourniers contract as well as Trents...he's been a good fit for the Mavs since the trade.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Hardaway's underpaid, IMO. Solid defender. Turned himself into a good shooter.

He's not an All-Star, but I think he's a first division starter. (And that's worth $20M per in today's cray-cray NBA.)

Who's had the best free agency?

I'd argue Lowry's has been awfully good. He gets paid for three seasons at a high clip and becomes a face of a franchise who has visions of championships.

Jimmy Butler, he of the four-year max contract, had a pretty great day too. $51M per season to play at age 36? Coooool.

Bulls' fans realizing they'll have two PGs next season who'll be able to run the team without turning the ball over might be there as well. That Chicago offense might be really solid. The defense... well, notsomuch.

As far as teams, I like what the Knicks have done. Fournier's a solid first division near All-Star. He's a 40-50-80 guy who'll be asked to be a tertiary playmaker behind Randle and Barrett. He should thrive in that role. Noel is perhaps the best shot blocker in the NBA (Gobert included)-- were he to have played more minutes, there's an argument to make that he deserved a spot on the All-Defense First Team. (Alas, he did not.) Burks provides shooting and Rose offense off the bench. If Quickley takes the spot of Payton, that team has solid options everywhere. They're not great, but they're adequate-- and that's a bunch more than anyone expected before last year.

I like Chicago's moves so far, but they're going to have to address defense, right?

Really like Otto Porter to Golden State. That's a sneaky good 15 ppg scorer who has, in the past, played some semblance of defense. I could see a modified version of the Death Squad with Porter at PF, Green at C, Curry, Thompson, and Wiggins.

Jeff Green to Denver gives them 412 PF, I think. But he's a good backup big who can hit the three, and I really like the Jokic in his game. He's going to be fun (perhaps) as a point center. (That said, why in God's name don't they sign a PG?)
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-03-2021 at 08:40 AM.

SGA 5 years, $172 million max extension from OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Hardaway's underpaid, IMO. Solid defender. Turned himself into a good shooter.

He's not an All-Star, but I think he's a first division starter. (And that's worth $20M per in today's cray-cray NBA.)
    He did earn his money the past two years, after torching it in the first two years of the deal. So I was unfair to him. He'll be worth the money if he continues with the more efficient shooting and more active defense.

With every day that passes, it becomes clearer that Tim Duncan was a transcendent player and a teammate.

Since his retirement, the organization lost its Midas touch, Popovich is more relevant for his political opinions and Buford/the front office make increasingly curious moves.

Three years and $64 million for the dynamic duo of Zach Collins and Doug McDermott, yikes. That roster is mediocre and trending down. It might be time for an organizational reset.

10. Likes:

M2 (08-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    With every day that passes, it becomes clearer that Tim Duncan was a transcendent player and a teammate.

Since his retirement, the organization lost its Midas touch, Popovich is more relevant for his political opinions and Buford/the front office make increasingly curious moves.

Three years and $64 million for the dynamic duo of Zach Collins and Doug McDermott, yikes. That roster is mediocre and trending down. It might be time for an organizational reset.
    It's like they don't even want good players. Barring a star turn from Keldon Johnson or Lonnie Walker, I don't see how this team is supposed to get to good.

Lakers lining up some preseason scrimmages...

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-03-2021),goreds2 (08-16-2021),M2 (08-03-2021),UKFlounder (08-03-2021)

Very happy to see Nerlens Noel get paid. It is so hard once you get labeled as a minimum or near minimum contract guy to get big money again. I am not sure he is worth what the Knicks paid....but he was definitely better than a minimum level guy.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

15. Likes:

UKFlounder (08-03-2021)

Rudy Gay to the Jazz. Definitely needed some wing help and he’s been a solid reserve for the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Rudy Gay to the Jazz. Definitely needed some wing help and he’s been a solid reserve for the Spurs.
    Thought that was a solid signing. Wonder if he steals some (or all) of Joe Ingles's minutes, as a more dynamic big wing.

This is a pretty big put-up or shut-up season for the Jazz. Essentially running it back, as they should, after the disappointing playoff performance. Brings to mind the Bucks of a few years ago--where everybody said Bud was too stubborn for the playoffs and Giannis too easy to stop in the playoffs--and now you don't hear from those people anymore. Snyder's a good coach. It's a really good, well-rounded roster. Keep competing and hope some luck breaks your way.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-05-2021)

Thought that was a solid signing. Wonder if he steals some (or all) of Joe Ingles's minutes, as a more dynamic big wing.

This is a pretty big put-up or shut-up season for the Jazz. Essentially running it back, as they should, after the disappointing playoff performance. Brings to mind the Bucks of a few years ago--where everybody said Bud was too stubborn for the playoffs and Giannis too easy to stop in the playoffs--and now you don't hear from those people anymore. Snyder's a good coach. It's a really good, well-rounded roster. Keep competing and hope some luck breaks your way.
    Ingles needs to play less minutes. He can’t handle the load at his age anymore. So hopefully this will make him more effective/efficient.

Jazz had really good injury luck most of the year and caught the Conley/Mitchell injuries at a terrible time. Everyone basically had injury issues, but they were certainly right there if things went their way that didn’t.

Huge offseason for the Blazers. Lillard said he wanted real change, suggesting without some real movement he may bolt.

Thus far, Olshey overpaid Norm Powell and signed Cody Zeller and Ben McClemore.

That should do it.

Huge offseason for the Blazers. Lillard said he wanted real change, suggesting without some real movement he may bolt.

Thus far, Olshey overpaid Norm Powell and signed Cody Zeller and Ben McClemore.

That should do it.
    I mean, feel the excitement, right?

Turn Off Ads?