Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

Re: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

I’ve told this before. I swear I heard this but maybe it was a dream:

Marty: Did you know that Scott is in the ball park tonight?
    Joe: I saw him. We had a nice chat. One of my favorite people.
    Marty: Yes sir, Scott Steiner , Big Poppa Pump.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    A truly great song- I've been singing it for 50 years.

Is It Ever Gonna Happen

by Gene Carrol and the Shades
    a/k/a Mean Gene Okerlund

I'm always delighted by musical surprises. This one blew my mind. Mean Gene the rocker...I had no idea.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'm always delighted by musical surprises. This one blew my mind. Mean Gene the rocker...I had no idea.
    Gene Carroll was a very hip DJ when I was a kid in central Wisconsin in the 60s. Did not learn until many years later that Mean Gene was in fact Gene Carroll .

Mean Gene also made a tasty burger- Mean Gene Burger.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  23.8 KB

5. Likes:

BillDoran (08-10-2021),M2 (08-10-2021),RichRed (08-09-2021)

Luka just got paid...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

JR Smith on the NC A&T golf team would be cool.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...th-carolina-at

8. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    JR Smith on the NC A&T golf team would be cool.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...th-carolina-at
    What’s the shirt wearing policy in college golf?

10. Likes:

BillDoran (08-12-2021),Bourgeois Zee (08-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What’s the shirt wearing policy in college golf?
    Why not just go to NC A&T and get your degree.....but join a competitive regional amateur tour? I struggle to see JR enjoying being around a bunch of 18-22 year old guys all the time after a couple of weeks.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Anyone watch Deuce McBride last night in summer league? Kid is going to be special! 22 Points, 7 Rebounds, 5 Assists and a Steal on 7 of 9 shooting and 6 of 6 from 3.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-27-2021)

Woj on Twitter:

The Los Angeles Clippers are trading Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Eric Bledsoe, sources tell ESPN.

The Grizzlies, with an already packed roster, are open-minded on the futures of all three players in Memphis -- and will likely consider trades with some of those arriving in this deal. Memphis gets salary cap flexibility in the summer of 2022 with trade.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 08-15-2021 at 08:32 PM.

I think Memphis becomes Rondo’s 9th franchise in 8 seasons.

At this point he’s like the NBA’s Bruce Chen.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I think Memphis becomes Rondo’s 9th franchise in 8 seasons.

At this point he’s like the NBA’s Bruce Chen.
    Rondo is an exceptionally good fit for some clubs.

His play throughout the Western playoffs was one of the reasons the Lakers were able to move through the playoffs two years ago and win the championship. He thoroughly outplayed the Rocket reserve guard and played Russell Westbrook pretty evenly, then played well against the Nuggets when they needed him, then outplayed Herro and Nunn in the Finals.

I'm not sure Memphis is one of those clubs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Woj on Twitter:

The Los Angeles Clippers are trading Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Eric Bledsoe, sources tell ESPN.

The Grizzlies, with an already packed roster, are open-minded on the futures of all three players in Memphis -- and will likely consider trades with some of those arriving in this deal. Memphis gets salary cap flexibility in the summer of 2022 with trade.
    I think the Clippers are one of the few teams on which Bledsoe makes some sense.

I'm not sure he'll make sense this year, but I like him with Kawhi and PG as the primary ball handlers and he as a defensive stopper/ transition guy.

What a strange offseason for the Grizz.

• Traded Jonas Valanciunas for Steven Adams
    • Traded Grayson Allen for Sam Merrill
    • Traded Bledsoe for Beverley, Rondo and Oturu
    • Drafted Ziaire Williams (and Santi Aldama)

I presume they're clearing up some cap space to sign Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr., and make a little more room for the youth movement, but in my estimation they didn't get better or worse; just kinda shuffled the cards and ended with a very similar hand. You'd think they'd be pushing to make some big improvements while the core solidifies and grows.

Weirdly, there's really not much in savings in the above moves. The Bledsoe/PatBev-Rondo trade is effectively salary neutral (when you consider only $4 million is guaranteed to Bledsoe in 2022-23). They added Adams's $18 million in 22-23 (when Valanciunas will be a free agent). Allen is only owed $4 million and is then a RFA.

Somebody make it make sense.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 08-16-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    What a strange offseason for the Grizz.
    I think they see Desmond Bane as a difference-maker as a bench shooter and combo guard in place of Allen. (That's a better choice, IMO, though Allen can shoot.) Bane's Summer League stats are just dominating-- 24 ppg on 48% shooting and 69(!) 3-point percentage. All with 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and 1.0 steals. He and Xavier Tillman look to be real contributors to the Memphis bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think they see Desmond Bane as a difference-maker as a bench shooter and combo guard in place of Allen. (That's a better choice, IMO, though Allen can shoot.) Bane's Summer League stats are just dominating-- 24 ppg on 48% shooting and 69(!) 3-point percentage. All with 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and 1.0 steals. He and Xavier Tillman look to be real contributors to the Memphis bench.
    I don't put much stock in summer league numbers, but I'm with you on the Bane Train (toot toot). Not super familiar with Grizz lineups, but I thought Bane was more of a 3 and less of 2, and Allen more of a 2. Either way, hope they can figure a few more minutes for Clarke. Also, love Tillman. You could see it in college. Super long arms, smart, multifaceted. He'll never be a star, but he'll play on plenty of good teams.

No idea what they're doing with Adams and PatBev and Rondo. Adams is one of the few bigs in the NBA that plays a more conventional 5 than Valaciunas. You'd think they'd place a premium on spacing, especially with Ja's shot still looking suspect. And to sink $18 million and an extra year into Adams? Crazy.

PatBev is a clown and doesn't really do anything on the floor other than make noise. Rondo's going to be a headache. Young coach, unproven team means Rondo's going to do whatever he wants. I'd just cut him.

Love Grizz drafts. Suspicious of their other moves.

I'll stop with the Grizz and return my attention to the moribund Blazers.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    PatBev is a clown and doesn't really do anything on the floor other than make noise. Rondo's going to be a headache. Young coach, unproven team means Rondo's going to do whatever he wants. I'd just cut him.
    I kind of agree of Beverley, but really disagree on Rondo. Rondo has a pretty stellar history-- Dallas excluded-- of helping kids get right in the NBA.

Many of the Chicago Bull kids from 2016-2017 credit him with helping their career. Cam Payne, Bobby Portis, and Doug McDermott all have talked about him glowingly in the past, as have others who've been lesser NBA lights. Both Alex Caruso and THT credit Rondo in part for their successes in the NBA, as do other guys from the Lakers. Brandon Ingram and AD are two of the best players who also credit Rondo.

From AD last season after Rondo became a Hawk:

“He’s a coach on the floor. Even when he’s not playing, he’s coaching. Last year in practice he was coaching, during the game and on the floor he was coaching. He’s always learning, he’s watching film, so I can definitely see him being a head coach. I think that’s what he wants to do, he wants to coach,” Davis said. “He’ll make one hell of a coach. He knows the game really well, his IQ is unbelievable, very high. And he gets along with a lot of players. He knows how to talk to players, and he knows who can be more aggressive with, who he has to kind of just take it easy on.

“I think he’s going to be a great coach in this league if that’s what he ends up going with.”
    He's been great for pretty much every team he's played on except Rick Carlisle's. And Carlisle is pretty notorious for not getting along with much of anyone who dares question his moves. (Including Luka the past two seasons.)

Turn Off Ads?