Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

Re: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Went to the Cavs Jazz game today. Fun game. Jazz took a 15 point lead in the 4th, the Cavs stormed back to tie it and the Jazz ended up winning by 1 after Garland missed.

Watching Gobert live is pretty cool. What he does to effect shots and position himself for rebounds is just special. Mitchell has also gotten really good at getting to the rim and finishing different ways.

For the Cavs it’s really cool to see Garlands progress. He’s a completely different guy from 2 years ago. Mobley has a great feel for the game. He made some excellent passes to get guys lay ups that most rookies don’t see.

Crowd was good too. They really like this team.
    Mobley has to already be one of the best defenders in the NBA. He's ridiculous.

From what I remember, advanced stats have really liked Garland all along, so it's great to see him emerging like this.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Mobley has to already be one of the best defenders in the NBA. He's ridiculous.

From what I remember, advanced stats have really liked Garland all along, so it's great to see him emerging like this.
    IIRC, Garland rated out as the worst (or close to it) starting player in the NBA in his rookie year. Turned it around last year, which I confess I missed because the Cavs were kind of unwatchable.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IIRC, Garland rated out as the worst (or close to it) starting player in the NBA in his rookie year. Turned it around last year, which I confess I missed because the Cavs were kind of unwatchable.
    That's right, it was more last year. Profiled as the one to keep over Sexton which looks like that's how it'll play out.

7. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2021),Revering4Blue (12-06-2021)

Giannis plays 27 minutes and scores 27 points on his 27th birthday.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (12-07-2021),M2 (12-07-2021),Revering4Blue (12-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Giannis plays 27 minutes and scores 27 points on his 27th birthday.
    The Cavs kept coming back to get close, but the Bucks are just too much. So good.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Cavs kept coming back to get close, but the Bucks are just too much. So good.
    Jrue Holiday is like having a skeleton key that figures out how to win basketball games.

12. Likes:

Mutaman (12-07-2021),Revering4Blue (12-07-2021)

Blazers fire Neil Olshey - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ns-neil-olshey. Olshey 100% deserved to go for basketball reasons. It's looking like that franchise is heading for some rough years. Yet they've done it in the scummiest way possible, trumping up charges that he violated the team's code of conduct in order to get out of paying the remainder of his contract.
    Olshey only acted in a way that Paul Allen did from the moment he took over the team. Don't know how many times over the last 20 years I've posted how horrible Paul Allen treated his employees and how completely disfunctional he was socially.

What really sucks?

Bert Kolde runs the team. Paul's basketball-ignorant buddy from the past rode the Paul Allen gravy train into ownership of concessions at "The Forum", MODA Center, while sitting on the board as a "Vice-President" making basketball decisions.

When the lease is over in three years, the move will be official to Seattle.

It's really quite sad. I'm not reselling any tickets this year with the intention of not renewing after this season.

This is my 50th year of going to games here (with about eight years missing in-between when I lived in the Bay Area, Indiana, Salem and Vancouver).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-07-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Olshey only acted in a way that Paul Allen did from the moment he took over the team. Don't know how many times over the last 20 years I've posted how horrible Paul Allen treated his employees and how completely disfunctional he was socially.

What really sucks?

Bert Kolde runs the team. Paul's basketball-ignorant buddy from the past rode the Paul Allen gravy train into ownership of concessions at "The Forum", MODA Center, while sitting on the board as a "Vice-President" making basketball decisions.

When the lease is over in three years, the move will be official to Seattle.

It's really quite sad. I'm not reselling any tickets this year with the intention of not renewing after this season.

This is my 50th year of going to games here (with about eight years missing in-between when I lived in the Bay Area, Indiana, Salem and Vancouver).
    So the widow Allen made Olshey the fall guy for her husband's corporate culture? Why do I get the feeling nothing is going to change in the wake of Olshey's dismissal? I wonder if Danny Ainge will want any part of that, on top an overmatched and expensive roster.

I will be in shock if the Blazers ever leave Portland. For instance, if you're going to put a team in Seattle, you'll want a natural and established rival down in Portland. Also, NBA owners are going to want the expansion fee money from Seattle.

The Mavericks (11-12) are heading in Trail Blazers territory with a superstar surrounded by a nonsensical team.

So the widow Allen made Olshey the fall guy for her husband's corporate culture? Why do I get the feeling nothing is going to change in the wake of Olshey's dismissal? I wonder if Danny Ainge will want any part of that, on top an overmatched and expensive roster.

I will be in shock if the Blazers ever leave Portland. For instance, if you're going to put a team in Seattle, you'll want a natural and established rival down in Portland. Also, NBA owners are going to want the expansion fee money from Seattle.
    Allen never married. His Sister, Jody, took over the team. She didn't interfere with day-to-day operations. That culture of Paul Allen permeated throughout the organization. It's why Petrie quit decades ago and why most people have left the organization over the years, including most of it's fanbase. I've been personal friends with hundreds of employees who have worked there over the last five decades and it's common knowledge among anyone here that Paul Allen was dysfunctional. They became the JailBlazers because of Paul Allen. Only a fan revolt got Paul Allen to change his ways when it came to the hiring of players and G.M.'s. Paul Allen hated Oregon. He's a true fan of Washington State. He repeatedly refused to draft any player from the State of Oregon, repeatedly drafting Washington players. He tried once to move the team, but the City Commissioners had an ironclad contract and there was nothing Allen could do about it but wait it out (not major sports fans are those who live in Portland...MLS was not a major sport when it was brought in, and soccer still isn't in this country no matter how many people play it or attend games). I'm sure Ainge, being a two-time Player-of-the-Year in Oregon, would never get considered to be a G.M. (Allen was anal and would have had a long list of instructions left to what he wanted done with the Blazers for his Sister to carry out). Paul Allen's mother used to live in the Rose Quarter/MODA Center. He had a special apartment built in it at the top. You can see the window from the outside. I've never met anyone who has seen the inside of it. Paul Allen was a very strange man.

Vulcan and Bert Kolde have always been the most influential entities in the organization besides Paul Allen. It's an unbelievably difficult job that takes special skills. I can't imagine anyone who would want it. It's why Chris McGowan stated a month ago that he's resigned staying on until the end of November,...so he could pursue an organization that didn't have as many hurdles to clear in order to get things done.

Blazers admitted that they haven't contacted Ainge and that he's not on the list of replacement G.M.'s.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

M2 (12-08-2021)

I am looking forward to Snell and Dennis Smith getting more playing time. Both are getting more relaxed after having almost no playing time to begin the season (Snell having missed every day of Camp and Pre-season, including the first week of the season, while DSJ only got into two games all year where he received meaningful minutes before this run of three games, going on four against GSW). Blazers have three days off after Wed, and by then they should get some well-rested players back in Simons, Little (who has had a fantastic season so far and improving at a fast rate) and Dame. They may give Dame more time for his abdominal strain, but I'm guessing he'll want to play with C.J. out with a collapsed lung. The Blazers' biggest issue this season has been Chauncey's inexperience and love of Norman Powell, remarkably ignoring last year's DEN series where the 3-Guard (short guards) lineup was easily exposed where anyone can shoot over Powell without even jumping. Billups was a great hire and there been some improvement in the Defensive areas, but too often the Offense just goes back to what they knew under Stotts, but without the practices of Stotts. There's another month of home games to get in practices and build confidence before they begin their annual 2nd Half surge (where they usually have one of the top-3 records for the 2nd half of the season).

The team is 12-deep, so it's the best roster they've had since Lillard has been here. Billups has to learn fast as he's truly a rookie Coach (can't win a road game). He'll get better.

What's bad about Olshey being gone is that the trade that needs to be made...C.J. for a "4" so RoCo can move to his true position of "3" and Powell can move to "2", won't happen unless Kolde pulls it off under the pretend idea that it was the Assitant G.M. who did it. The Organization on the outside has no President and no G.M., but the power structure of Vulcan and Kolde have never left. Sadly neither entity knows anything about basketball,...one thinks he does, while the other (the Harvard Suits) are just leeches riding the Allen Family gravy train.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I am looking forward to Snell and Dennis Smith getting more playing time. Both are getting more relaxed after having almost no playing time to begin the season (Snell having missed every day of Camp and Pre-season, including the first week of the season, while DSJ only got into two games all year where he received meaningful minutes before this run of three games, going on four against GSW). Blazers have three days off after Wed, and by then they should get some well-rested players back in Simons, Little (who has had a fantastic season so far and improving at a fast rate) and Dame. They may give Dame more time for his abdominal strain, but I'm guessing he'll want to play with C.J. out with a collapsed lung. The Blazers' biggest issue this season has been Chauncey's inexperience and love of Norman Powell, remarkably ignoring last year's DEN series where the 3-Guard (short guards) lineup was easily exposed where anyone can shoot over Powell without even jumping. Billups was a great hire and there been some improvement in the Defensive areas, but too often the Offense just goes back to what they knew under Stotts, but without the practices of Stotts. There's another month of home games to get in practices and build confidence before they begin their annual 2nd Half surge (where they usually have one of the top-3 records for the 2nd half of the season).

The team is 12-deep, so it's the best roster they've had since Lillard has been here. Billups has to learn fast as he's truly a rookie Coach (can't win a road game). He'll get better.

What's bad about Olshey being gone is that the trade that needs to be made...C.J. for a "4" so RoCo can move to his true position of "3" and Powell can move to "2", won't happen unless Kolde pulls it off under the pretend idea that it was the Assitant G.M. who did it. The Organization on the outside has no President and no G.M., but the power structure of Vulcan and Kolde have never left. Sadly neither entity knows anything about basketball,...one thinks he does, while the other (the Harvard Suits) are just leeches riding the Allen Family gravy train.
    IMO, they need to jettison RoCo too because he's a lousy 3. His whole value proposition is locking up bigger guys on defense, but he's utterly incapable of creating offense off the bounce. Nance is a 4 who plays a much more dynamic game than RoCo, he's cheaper and he signed for two years rather than one. If the plan is try one more time to build around Dame, Nance and Powell would be my two keepers. Could not disagree more about the roster. That's a bad, ill-fitting roster roster they've assembled around Dame. They're getting mud-stomped without him.

What I'd like to see them get is a dynamic two-way wing, though it probably would have to be a guy who hasn't popped yet. A better big would also be a good thing. Wonder if they could get in on a Sabonis trade?

IMO, they need to jettison RoCo too because he's a lousy 3. His whole value proposition is locking up bigger guys on defense, but he's utterly incapable of creating offense off the bounce. Nance is a 4 who plays a much more dynamic game than RoCo, he's cheaper and he signed for two years rather than one. If the plan is try one more time to build around Dame, Nance and Powell would be my two keepers. Could not disagree more about the roster. That's a bad, ill-fitting roster roster they've assembled around Dame. They're getting mud-stomped without him.

What I'd like to see them get is a dynamic two-way wing, though it probably would have to be a guy who hasn't popped yet. A better big would also be a good thing. Wonder if they could get in on a Sabonis trade?
    Were I Portland, I'd go full rebuild around Lillard, if possible.

I'd target mobile bigs underneath, wings who can shoot, and at least one slasher.

Who says no?

Kyrie, Cam Thomas, and Day'Ron Sharpe for RoCo, a completely unprotected first rounder, and CJ.

The Mavericks (11-12) are heading in Trail Blazers territory with a superstar surrounded by a nonsensical team.
    Supposedly he asked the Mavs about getting Simmons...my thoughts with what...can't trade a 1st and Porzingas is an enigma that no team wants.

They are going to have to pay Brunson more than he is worth...

The Mavs are in trouble and I don't see it rectifying itself anytime soon...they needed one more spin in the lottery after getting Doncic.

I could see them doing a mini tank as Doncic's knee and ankle are supposedly pretty bad..try to get into that 10-12 pick range
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?