Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

Re: NBA 2021-22: Giannis Domini

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If I was building a team from scratch, I'd take Simmons over Fox without a second thought. Simmons' length and skillset create all kinds of mismatch opportunities. I've seen him turn a team into a contender. If this was just about basketball, the Sixers would be keeping Simmons until they got an offer they can't refuse. Fox has got a good numbers/bad team resume to date. Yet I think they'd complement each other and be extra deadly in transition. And the Kings are a bad team that needs to take a chance on the potential of a pairing like that.
    I would rather go with Fox. He is definitely talented, somewhere between John Wall and Jah Morant, and he is young enough that maybe he can sand down some of the rough edges. If he improves his outside shot and running the offense/helping teammates get better, he’s an all-star.
    On the other hand, if he doesn’t improve, he is another UK Pg with great athletic abilities who can’t figure out the mental part of the game (Wall, Bledsoe, Brandon Knight).
    With Simmons, he is definitely talented, but his weaknesses are calcified and permanent. The market’s reaction to his availability indicates this.
    I think he will become Draymond Green with a better handle. Very Valuable, but not a top two or three guy on a good/ great team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I would rather go with Fox. He is definitely talented, somewhere between John Wall and Jah Morant, and he is young enough that maybe he can sand down some of the rough edges. If he improves his outside shot and running the offense/helping teammates get better, he’s an all-star.
    On the other hand, if he doesn’t improve, he is another UK Pg with great athletic abilities who can’t figure out the mental part of the game (Wall, Bledsoe, Brandon Knight).
    With Simmons, he is definitely talented, but his weaknesses are calcified and permanent. The market’s reaction to his availability indicates this.
    I think he will become Draymond Green with a better handle. Very Valuable, but not a top two or three guy on a good/ great team.
    Fox will have to improve to become better than pre-injury Wall. And if Simmons is calcified as an All-Star, I think I'd be cool with that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Fox will have to improve to become better than pre-injury Wall. And if Simmons is calcified as an All-Star, I think I'd be cool with that.
    Yeah, BZ mentioned that Simmons posted the lowest VORP (B-Ref) of his career last season. Well, that 2.2 VORP is a top-40 NBA player who's worth nearly 6 Wins above replacement. That's basically two seasons of D'Angelo Russell's value.

Defense matters.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, BZ mentioned that Simmons posted the lowest VORP (B-Ref) of his career last season. Well, that 2.2 VORP is a top-40 NBA player who's worth nearly 6 Wins above replacement. That's basically two seasons of D'Angelo Russell's value.

Defense matters.
    Cannot be said enough that all Ben Simmons has done since entering the league is run the point for a playoff team. The Sixers switched from awful to contender on a dime in his rookie season. He may not be the guy to put them over the top and it makes sense to put better shooting around Embiid, but we've seen Simmons be a key player in giving a team instant legitimacy. His ability to pass over the top of any defense, the threat he creates on the break and as a rim runner, and him being perhaps the best perimeter defender in the league all makes him a pretty useful guy to have on your team. He'd be a major upgrade for pretty much any lottery team.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-14-2021),SteelSD (09-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Defense matters.
    Comparing Simmons and Dlo is not right. Dlo is overpaid, overrated and gets paid because he can get his shot when he wants and he makes those shots at a decent, not great rate. Everything else he does is garbage. Simmons is far more athletic, far more skilled and far more intelligent. He just has no jumper.

Supposedly John Wall wants out of Houston and they're trying to trade him - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-pg-a-new-home. It raises the question, can you trade a guy to China?

Supposedly John Wall wants out of Houston and they're trying to trade him - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-pg-a-new-home. It raises the question, can you trade a guy to China?
    So then...The Great John Wall of China?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

10. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (09-15-2021),M2 (09-14-2021),Puffy (09-15-2021),Revering4Blue (09-14-2021),SteelSD (09-14-2021),texasdave (09-14-2021),UKFlounder (09-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Comparing Simmons and Dlo is not right. Dlo is overpaid, overrated and gets paid because he can get his shot when he wants and he makes those shots at a decent, not great rate. Everything else he does is garbage. Simmons is far more athletic, far more skilled and far more intelligent. He just has no jumper.
    Just to clarify, I'm only comparing the value as a baseline for the kind of stuff that's been floated about Simmons trades. I completely agree with you.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Aaron Gordon signed a 4/92 extension with the Nuggets. Decent price for him, though they have to pay for Michael Porter too when this kicks in starting in 2022-23.

Looks like the price for Simmons is dropping by the minute.

Ball handler who can’t hit a 3 (14.7% for his career) and is barely a better FT shooter than he is from inside the arc (59.7% vs 56.4%).

Runs the floor and plays great perimeter D. Sounds like Stacey Augmon with $171 million left on his contract over the next 5 years.

(Or…the NBA’s version of Jason Heyward.)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Looks like the price for Simmons is dropping by the minute.

Ball handler who can’t hit a 3 (14.7% for his career) and is barely a better FT shooter than he is from inside the arc (59.7% vs 56.4%).

Runs the floor and plays great perimeter D. Sounds like Stacey Augmon with $171 million left on his contract over the next 5 years.

(Or…the NBA’s version of Jason Heyward.)
    He's still 16-8-8 for his career with relatively low usage. He'd be the best player on a fair number of teams. I completely get hoping his trade value craters and you can snare him for close to nothing, but some team is going to realize he's the best young veteran they're likely to acquire this decade and move accordingly.

He'd be the best player on a fair number of teams.
    Hmm. Don't know about that one.

He's no doubt better than the best players on four teams.

After that, it's a debate.

It would be amusing if the Sixers just called his bluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Hmm. Don't know about that one.

He's no doubt better than the best players on four teams.

After that, it's a debate.
    I count seven before I get into the debating category.

I count seven before I get into the debating category.
    Charlotte, Cleveland, San Antonio, and Orlando, for sure.

Toronto's got Siakam. Indiana has Sabonis. Detroit now has Cunningham.

I think each of those could be debated, but perhaps you're right.

Turn Off Ads?