Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closer

Re: Closer

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A bit harder last night - the starter didn’t make it to the seventh, Mahle was out after five.
    Ok. Use the dreck in the 6th. If they implode, you have time to come back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    What a crock of craplast night was. Our bullpen loooooves to blow leads and let the team down. Hembree sucks. Another victory snatched away. 5 games out now. This team probably saw its hope for the postseason removed simply because Heath chose to let the team down.

Football starts in a month yay!
    Yes, I'm sure it was Heath's choice to give up those runs. He probably woke up yesterday and said, "By God, if I get into the game tonight I'm going to pitch as poorly as possible. Because if I do, I'll be out of a job."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Aren't the Reds starters usually out after 5? seems he should be used to it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes, I'm sure it was Heath's choice to give up those runs. He probably woke up yesterday and said, "By God, if I get into the game tonight I'm going to pitch as poorly as possible. Because if I do, I'll be out of a job."
    Thing is, this shouldn’t even be a discussion. Hembree should not be a late innings option at this point. I get your point and all, but dude shouldn’t be in a closing situation. That’s 2 blown games at this point because Bell had his head lodged up his butt and thinks Hembree is a closer.

6. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2021),MR X (08-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Thing is, this shouldn’t even be a discussion. Hembree should not be a late innings option at this point. I get your point and all, but dude shouldn’t be in a closing situation. That’s 2 blown games at this point because Bell had his head lodged up his butt and thinks Hembree is a closer.
    I agree and while he has pitched well at times, I certainly don't trust him. I know Mahle only went 5 yesterday but Bell decided to pitch the better options earlier in the game for an inning apiece. Bell didn't even trust Hembree to close out the game on Saturday and he (rightfully) caught hell for it. Last night Hembree was walking everyone and when he did throw strikes they were fouling everything off. Doesn't sound like he was fooling anyone. Could he have been tipping his pitches? I understand Brach had been warming up so even if Hembree had been pulled after 3 batters, we would have been subjected to the Brad Brach Experience. That's no better. The thing with Lorenzen and the Newbies is you don't have to limit them to 1 inning apiece - especially Lorenzen because he can hit for himself.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

MrRedSkull (08-04-2021),Revering4Blue (08-04-2021)

I agree and while he has pitched well at times, I certainly don't trust him. I know Mahle only went 5 yesterday but Bell decided to pitch the better options earlier in the game for an inning apiece. Bell didn't even trust Hembree to close out the game on Saturday and he (rightfully) caught hell for it. Last night Hembree was walking everyone and when he did throw strikes they were fouling everything off. Doesn't sound like he was fooling anyone. Could he have been tipping his pitches? I understand Brach had been warming up so even if Hembree had been pulled after 3 batters, we would have been subjected to the Brad Brach Experience. That's no better. The thing with Lorenzen and the Newbies is you don't have to limit them to 1 inning apiece - especially Lorenzen because he can hit for himself.
    Agreed. I mean I’d be all for the Brad Brach experience in the 6th. If he blows it, you have 4 offensive chances to come back. While both are kinda meh, I have Brach a tick ahead of Hembree. But definitely a good point on Lorenzen. Why not 2 innings? I just hope Antone and Warren come back soon and push some of the lesser options out. Really though, it’s not time to mess around with a 5 ERA guy in the 9th. Be smarter. Plan ahead. If you lose, lose because you were outplayed, not because you’re a dope who uses middle relief to close.

10. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2021),Sea Ray (08-04-2021)

I know I agree!!!
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

I am fine with using Hembree there but Bell has to have another guy going (not Amir, maybe Brach last night) who can be used if Heath slips. It was clear after the first two guys that Hembree didn’t have it, I would have pulled him immediately after the 3rd batter (the first strikeout). Bell needs to be managing close games with a bit more urgency. You can’t have this much confidence in a guy like Hembree and not get burned badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I am fine with using Hembree there but Bell has to have another guy going (not Amir, maybe Brach last night) who can be used if Heath slips. It was clear after the first two guys that Hembree didn’t have it, I would have pulled him immediately after the 3rd batter (the first strikeout). Bell needs to be managing close games with a bit more urgency. You can’t have this much confidence in a guy like Hembree and not get burned badly.
    Hembree should have no part of a save situation like that. The Reds just traded for 2 very solid or above BP arms and got a third who has a track record of success, but is having a down year in a small sample. Plus they just got another dude back from the DL who has better stuff and late inning success. Hembree has no business being out there in that situation unless it’s like a 15 inning game and he’s your only option left. You traded for these dudes because your pen sucked. Use them appropriately so you don’t have to rely on the suck. Someone with a 5 ERA has no business being out there in the 9th of a one run game.

14. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2021)

Sims is due back, he’ll probably be the Reds closer within a couple of days.

Hembree did well in the role for awhile; indeed, during the whole recent period of Reds’ success. Reds were lucky to have him since they were unwilling to spend. There’s no need to tear the guy apart.

It didn’t work out perfectly, the last few close ninth innings didn’t go well. Time to re-adjust.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-04-2021 at 11:21 AM.

16. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2021),Playadlc (08-04-2021)

Sims is due back, he’ll probably be the Reds closer within a couple of days.

Hembree did well in the role for awhile; indeed, during the whole recent period of Reds success. Reds were lucky to have him since they were unwilling to spend. There’s no need to tear the guy apart.
    I'd be good if Givens was the first choice to close out games. Either way, the last three innings need to be covered by Sims, Givens, Lorenzen, Cessa.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

18. Likes:

Chip R (08-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I'd be good if Givens was the first choice to close out games. Either way, the last three innings need to be covered by Sims, Givens, Lorenzen, Cessa.
    Must have a lefty in the late inning group.

One of the issues last night was Reds didn’t use a lefty against LHH Polanco in the ninth. Especially with Hembree not that effective and with a high pitch count.

20. Likes:

CySeymour (08-04-2021)

Must have a lefty in the late inning group.

One of the issues last night was Reds didn’t use a lefty against LHH Polanco in the ninth. Especially with Hembree not that effective and with a high pitch count.
    Polanco is a switch hitter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I've cut Bell a lot of slack considering what he's had to work with this year but his handling of Hembree and Suarez is causing me to put him back on the fence re: returning next yr

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I've cut Bell a lot of slack considering what he's had to work with this year but his handling of Hembree and Suarez is causing me to put him back on the fence re: returning next yr
    The hell do you want him to do with Suarez?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?