Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

I would argue that striking out 30% of the time - against AA pitching - is adversity, no matter what you do with the other 70%. Not a huge concern for me but it’s something he should be trying to remedy. I have no problem with the Reds keeping him down in Chattanooga until he get his K% below 25%

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I would argue that striking out 30% of the time - against AA pitching - is adversity, no matter what you do with the other 70%. Not a huge concern for me but it’s something he should be trying to remedy. I have no problem with the Reds keeping him down in Chattanooga until he get his K% below 25%
    Will he even focus on that if he’s teeing off on everything he’s hitting? I’d really like to see him face a lot of breaking balls in AAA. Might face some adversity where it’s not overshadowed by him mashing everything else.

4. Likes:

Marc D (08-12-2022)

As long as the results are there I don't care how he gets them. We all keep waiting to see when Elly will run into a level of competition that his approach doesn't work against and it hasn't happened yet and may not happen. Conventional wisdom says it should happen at some point, but I wonder if conventional wisdom factors in for 80 grade raw power and speed with elite in game power at 20?

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-12-2022),wolfboy (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Strikeouts and walks are a concern in the context of sustainability. His rates beg the question of whether he can sustain his production as he faces more advanced pitching. I think you push him until he can't (if ever). I just don't see what he gains in development teeing off against AA pitching. Until he struggles I doubt he will feel like he needs to adjust his approach, even if he should. He's a 20 year old kid that has torn the cover off the ball at every stop.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

8. Likes:

JCM11 (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Will he even focus on that if he’s teeing off on everything he’s hitting? I’d really like to see him face a lot of breaking balls in AAA. Might face some adversity where it’s not overshadowed by him mashing everything else.
    As I said in the Hunter Greene discussions, if he's told that what he needs to do to get to the big leagues, then yes, he'll focus on it. This isn't a hard concept.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    As long as the results are there I don't care how he gets them. We all keep waiting to see when Elly will run into a level of competition that his approach doesn't work against and it hasn't happened yet and may not happen. Conventional wisdom says it should happen at some point, but I wonder if conventional wisdom factors in for 80 grade raw power and speed with elite in game power at 20?
    I agree with his tools he can be a good player even with a lot of strikeouts and few walks.

But when you don't take balls and you don't make enough contact, you can never be a "great" player. In fact, even to be a "good" player could be tough. History tells tells us that MLB is not kind to those guys.

But yeah elite power, speed, and defense can't be taught and is a combo rarely found in player, so it's not a dig at all.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-12-2022)

As exciting as EDLC is and as tantalizing as the tools are you are going to have to look long and hard to find an elite MLB player with a K/BB rate of 6:1 which is what he is putting up in AA. Admittedly I have not seen him play so I cannot shed any light on what he is struggling with. My real concern is he is a switch hitter and has the platoon advantage in every at AB and still has the K rate he does and that is very concerning. If he can fix it, he is a potential generational player if not he will just be the latest in a long line of great athletes that played baseball but weee not great baseball players

6 strikeouts in the last two nights combined. Might be time to pump the brakes just a touch on the "he's ready now" train.

He is still facing adversity at AA. I leave him there to finish the season.

.903 OPS with at least one highlight every night. Maybe he should go back down to Dayton?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    .903 OPS with at least one highlight every night. Maybe he should go back down to Dayton?
    Nobody's saying that. But I think he's just fine in AA for another month.

I am one of Elly's biggest advocates. Dude is amazing, love the highlight reel. I have no doubt he'd do damage in the bigs if he started tonight.

But I'd love to see him develop a better approach, even if it's just a tweak. It's hard to say how much he'll be exposed at AAA and in the show. Why not straighten it out a bit now?

I look at Vladito's K% in the minors and he was just on another level. And yes, obviously they're different players - Elly will contribute so much more on the field/bases - but I'd love to see more walks and less strikeouts.

All I'm saying is pump the brakes. It's easy to get super-excited about Elly, we're all stoked. But he does have one glaring weakness that he is clearly able to overcome due to his insane tools. Why not try to clean up that weakness now so he'll have more sustained success in the future?

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-14-2022)

No, he should remain in AA the rest of the year and potentially start there next season depending on how things go from this point through spring training. He's 1-11 his last 3 games with 6 Ks.

He's not the type of guy that should be rushed. He's incredibly raw, needs to gain an understanding of the strike zone and develop plate discipline.

18. Likes:

Mitri (08-14-2022),Old school 1983 (08-14-2022),Revering4Blue (08-14-2022),Tony Cloninger (08-15-2022)

What’s with the condescension? The points being made are clear. Even by posters in Doug’s site. Guys approach is swing hard at everything even with 2 strikes. Aquino part 2 is right around the corner. One person who was at the game said the approach by the other team which happened to be The Tampa Double A team was telling.

Shortening swings with 2 strikes. Lookouts had bases loaded and Cruz was trying to hit a Homer with every swing. Struck out with the bases loaded. Amazing that we are surprised when it happens up here but we are not.

Same with the pitchers. Let’s strike everyone out but when we can’t. Walk a ton. A whole system default.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Aquino part 2 is right around the corner.
    This is quite the take.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-15-2022 at 08:35 AM.

This is quite the take.
    As ridiculous as sending him
    Back to Single A. Probably not. But I tried.

In all seriousness there’s some lack of development issues in this system that need to be fixed for this real rebuild to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    As ridiculous as sending him
    Back to Single A. Probably not. But I tried.

In all seriousness there’s some lack of development issues in this system that need to be fixed for this real rebuild to work.
    I think EDLC is doing just fine. I have no problem with a young player tearing the cover off the ball in A+ and AA instead of focusing on taking walks. I think EDLC is taking a "you can't walk off the island" approach to the minors and frankly I find it refreshing.

Turn Off Ads?