Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

Looking at his statistics, I don't get it.

Big K numbers (31.0%), low walk numbers (4.8%), fine average (.269) and some good pop (.208 ISO). Adds up to a 106 wRC+ in 200+ Daytona PA. Defense doesn't seem to be his calling card.

That power potential must be something, because those numbers look pretty run-of-the-mill to me. The MLB Prospect write-up seems to be more bullish on his defense than Fangraphs, and I suppose all those offensive numbers play up quite a bit if he's a SS (or even CF). Sounds like he's got some pretty high-end speed as well, though it doesn't seem to produce a ton of stolen bases.

Don't get me wrong, hope he's a star, but I'm a bit confused just doing some cursory internet digging.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Looking at his statistics, I don't get it.

Big K numbers (31.0%), low walk numbers (4.8%), fine average (.269) and some good pop (.208 ISO). Adds up to a 106 wRC+ in 200+ Daytona PA. Defense doesn't seem to be his calling card.

That power potential must be something, because those numbers look pretty run-of-the-mill to me. The MLB Prospect write-up seems to be more bullish on his defense than Fangraphs, and I suppose all those offensive numbers play up quite a bit if he's a SS (or even CF). Sounds like he's got some pretty high-end speed as well, though it doesn't seem to produce a ton of stolen bases.

Don't get me wrong, hope he's a star, but I'm a bit confused just doing some cursory internet digging.
    I don't know I thought the writeup covered it pretty well, his combination of youth and size (with great potential to fill out physically) makes him a potential phenom beyond whatever numbers he produced in his first taste of stateside baseball.

"(De La Cruz is listed at 6-foot-2, 150 pounds on his team’s site as of publication, but he’s actually 6-foot-5, 195)" this gap is nuts lol, like did he grow that much in 12 or 18 months? He could be a beast.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

BillDoran (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't know I thought the writeup covered it pretty well, his combination of youth and size (with great potential to fill out physically) makes him a potential phenom beyond whatever numbers he produced in his first taste of stateside baseball.

"(De La Cruz is listed at 6-foot-2, 150 pounds on his team’s site as of publication, but he’s actually 6-foot-5, 195)" this gap is nuts lol, like did he grow that much in 12 or 18 months? He could be a beast.
    Lol. If he's a 6-foot-5-inch, 200 pound 19-year-old SS, then it all makes sense. I'm on board the band wagon if that's the case!

6. Likes:

JFLegal (03-02-2022),Tom Servo (09-23-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Joey successor?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Interesting they don’t think much of Lodolo
    They still have him as a top 100 guy, I just think with the injuries he’s going to have to prove himself healthy to get his mojo back.
    Go BLUE!!!

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/202...-top-prospect/

Elly de la Cruz only played in 11 games in the Arizona Complex League this season. That was enough for him to qualify for the list, though. And he did a whole lot of damage in a short period of time. Sort of coming out of nowhere after posting a .733 OPS as a 17-year-old in the Dominican Summer League back in 2019, de la Cruz hit .400/.455/.780, good for an OPS of 1.235 with 6 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, 13 runs scored, and 2 steals before the Reds brass felt it was worth moving him up and challenging him in Low-A. He more than held his own with Low-A Daytona, hitting .269/.305/.477 in 50 games after joining the Tortugas.
    I'm enjoying reading Doug and others write about this guy. Out-of-nowhere for me, and it seems he's now above Greene and Lodolo on a lot of lists...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

It’s a little early to start worrying about Lodolo’s injury history. The guy was dealing against AA hitters and got a blister. It’s very possible that his subsequent shoulder issues were due to trying to compensate for the blister issue. Let’s see how he looks in Spring Training before we write him off as trade bait.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

11. Likes:

M2 (10-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    https://www.redsminorleagues.com/202...-top-prospect/

I'm enjoying reading Doug and others write about this guy. Out-of-nowhere for me, and it seems he's now above Greene and Lodolo on a lot of lists...
    Curious what lists to which you're referring.

All the ones I've seen have Greene and Lodolo as two of the top three prospects on the Red farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Curious what lists to which you're referring.

All the ones I've seen have Greene and Lodolo as two of the top three prospects on the Red farm.
    Ha! I may have been overreacting to the FanGraphs ranking of De la Cruz above Lodolo, because I can't seem to find the other examples I thought I had seen. Please forgive my enthusiasm.
    Last edited by RedEye; 10-10-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Ha! I may have been overreacting to the FanGraphs ranking of De la Cruz above Lodolo, because I can't seem to find the other examples I thought I had seen. Please forgive my enthusiasm.
    No worries.

It's only good news that De La Cruz has performed as well as he has as young as he has. (Last week, according to Doug Gray, he hit a ball with a 117 exit velocity. That's elite.)

15. Likes:

DocRed (10-13-2021),RedEye (10-12-2021)

17. Likes:

757690 (10-13-2021),BillDoran (10-13-2021),DocRed (10-13-2021)

Daddy? Sorry…

On a recent Q and A Keith Law was asked “what prospect outside of the Top 50/100 guys has superstar potential?”

And his answer was Elly. Loves the tools.

20. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    On a recent Q and A Keith Law was asked “what prospect outside of the Top 50/100 guys has superstar potential?”

And his answer was Elly. Loves the tools.
    and then keith ranked him in his top 75

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Understandable given the above discussion. But Interesting that MLB.com doesn't like him much at all, while the other popular rankings like him a lot:
    Baseball America - 77
    Baseball Prospectus - 70
    Fangraphs - 59

MLB - 9th best on the Reds.... probably not in their top 200
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?