Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

ProspectsLive - Top 10 Reds' prospects. (Top 30) on Patreon: https://www.prospectslive.com/prospe...p-30-prospects

2. Turn Off Ads?

Zach Buchanan has an extensive piece in The Athletic on De La Cruz

https://theathletic.com/3195980/2022...ifying-talent/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

4. Likes:

757690 (03-23-2022),wolfboy (03-24-2022)

Just saw the video of this kid’s grand slam in the spring training game versus the Brewers last night. Very nice. If he can learn to be more selective in his pitch recognition, De La Cruz is going to be fun to watch for the next few years.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

6. Likes:

757690 (03-24-2022),Revering4Blue (03-24-2022),WrongVerb (03-24-2022)

That sound. Kid is electric

8. Likes:

757690 (03-24-2022),Griffey012 (03-24-2022),Old school 1983 (03-24-2022),Revering4Blue (03-24-2022),Tom Servo (03-24-2022)

I'm just gonna put this here:

And this here:

10. Likes:

lollipopcurve (03-25-2022),Mitri (03-24-2022),Revering4Blue (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm just gonna put this here:

And this here:

That’s it! I was thinking that sweet swing looked familiar.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    That’s it! I was thinking that sweet swing looked familiar.
    Quick bat, load (kind of), leg kick, and swing plane are all similar. There's a couple of inches difference in height, but the body types are near perfect matches. Even the sound off the bat is close.

He may already possess the tools to be a plus CF in MLB. Just get that plate discipline in check. I could see him moving quickly if that happens.

How about we let the potential generational shortstop play shortstop?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    No pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Quick bat, load (kind of), leg kick, and swing plane are all similar. There's a couple of inches difference in height, but the body types are near perfect matches. Even the sound off the bat is close.
    I recorded Wednesday night's game and watched it last night. I came away from it thinking that this was the closest thing I've seen to Eric Davis since watching him come up in the 80s. ED also had selection issues and huge swing and miss issues. Haven't seen much of this guy but he's going to be fun to follow and something to look forward to in Cincinnati. Another possible comp: Tatis Jr

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-25-2022),redsmetz (03-25-2022),UPRedsFan (03-25-2022)

He reminds me of Tatis a bit as well. Elly is even more of a freak physically than Tatis. Time will tell if he can use it to his advantage.

I'm 110% okay with him working at SS until he can't. But have there ever been any successful MI with Elly's size? Just curious, it seems like playing SS might do more wear and tear on a 6'5" body than your average or even slightly above average body type. I just envision his speed/height working more to his advantage in CF, but he very well could just be such an athlete (much like Tatis) that he can play anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    He reminds me of Tatis a bit as well. Elly is even more of a freak physically than Tatis. Time will tell if he can use it to his advantage.

I'm 110% okay with him working at SS until he can't. But have there ever been any successful MI with Elly's size? Just curious, it seems like playing SS might do more wear and tear on a 6'5" body than your average or even slightly above average body type. I just envision his speed/height working more to his advantage in CF, but he very well could just be such an athlete (much like Tatis) that he can play anywhere.
    Cal Ripken was 6-4. He eventually moved to 3rd base but did play about 15 years at SS. He was a freak too.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/R/Pripkc001.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

Mitri (03-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    One thing about it, the Reds have several talented SS prospect that are versatile enough the could play different positions and be on the same field together if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

Ripken and Arod were 6'4" as I recall. I see SS as less taxing than CF. We see the wear and tear CF had on players like ED and Griff Jr. Both were worn down by the time they were 30, whereas CR Jr went on to set an Ironman record at SS. Let's leave him at SS until he can't

Turn Off Ads?