Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly De La Cruz

Re: Elly De La Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    De La Cruz is playing in the Dominican Winter League right now, not the DSL. The Davenport article you linked at teh end of your first sentence is on the Japanese Leagues. Davenport did take a look at Winter Leagues in 2004, and found that the DWL slotted just below AAA level, but I'd argue that the way he set up his rankings speaks more to the respective experience levels of the player base (see: a ton of old and clinging-to-MLB chaff) rather than the actual quality of play found there.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...eagues-anyway/
    I meant DWL, just typed it incorrectly. And I also screwed up my links. This is one I read. The Davenport article you linked was the one I wanted to link, but screwed up.

2. Likes:

SteelSD (11-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Electric' Elly aiming to light up Cincinnati

When asked at this year's Redsfest to describe his style of playing, top Reds prospect Elly De La Cruz didn’t struggle for a reply.

“Electric,” De La Cruz said via translator Jorge Merlos.

Coming off Cincinnati’s 62-100 season in 2022, Reds fans would love nothing more than to see De La Cruz’s brand of electricity in the 2023 Opening Day lineup. However, the soon-to-be-21-year-old has only logged 47 games and 207 plate appearances above the Class A level in the Minor Leagues as he prepares for his first big league Spring Training.

That likely makes the odds for him to make the team out of camp slim, but that isn’t going to deter the 6-foot-5 shortstop, who is ranked No. 1 in the organization and No. 14 overall by MLB Pipeline.

“It's a great opportunity,” De La Cruz said. “You have to take full advantage of everything, so you've just got to put all your worth into it and all your everything you've done these past couple of months and years of training to hopefully at least stay up there as long as possible. That's what I'm going to try to do this Spring Training, take this opportunity.”
    continue reading here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/update...lly-de-la-cruz

5. Likes:

R20 (12-17-2022),Tuff Nut (12-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Electric' Elly aiming to light up Cincinnati
    continue reading here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/update...lly-de-la-cruz
    That nickname needs to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

From Keith Law's mailbag in the Athletic

I know making comparisons is a dangerous game, but does Elly De La Cruz have prime Alfonso Soriano potential?

He’s a better runner and athlete, and has at least some chance to stay at short. He’s such an extreme outlier among current prospects. Honestly, I could have put him at No. 1 and made a straight-faced argument for it, but his approach doesn’t justify it. He’s just so damn tooled up, and the contact quality is going to sustain him.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    From Keith Law's mailbag in the Athletic
    Keith Law raving about a Reds prospect? Okay, now I’m worried about De La Cruz.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Hey I think I pitched Soriano as a comp for EDLC earlier ITT

11. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-05-2023),Mitri (02-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    That nickname needs to stick.

Ellyectric

Jose Barrero and Elly De La Cruz Getti'n Down

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds

You glove to see it

watch:

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1628...DR7fqVzZktAAAA

Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-22-2023 at 10:24 PM.

De La Cruz standing out 'in a really good way'

There are 67 players at Reds camp, but it's not hard for shortstop prospect Elly De La Cruz to stand out.

The 21-year-old De La Cruz is one of the tallest position players on hand, and he could easily be the fastest, as he covers ground quickly while running the bases or during rundown drills.

"You watch him, he stands out. I think that’s obvious," Reds manager David Bell said on Friday. "Just for a player at his age in his first Major League camp, he stands out in a really good way."

Jose Barrero and Kevin Newman are the frontrunners for the starting shortstop spot, but this camp will be an opportunity for the club to get a long look at De La Cruz.

"He’s working hard. I think that’s part of it too, making sure he understands what it takes to compete here," Bell said. "He’s come a long way in a few years, so he’s had to learn what it takes. He’s not starting from scratch. It’s a different level, [the] Major League level, you’re around other Major League players that have been here for a while. He's taking it all in. That’s where my focus is for Elly because everything else is just happening for him."

Article Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/elly-de-la-...t-at-reds-camp

He's back - activated off minor league IL today. Hopefully in action tonite.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

757690 (04-20-2023),JCM11 (04-20-2023),Old school 1983 (04-20-2023),Redhook (04-20-2023),RedTeamGo! (04-20-2023),Tom Servo (04-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He's back - activated off minor league IL today. Hopefully in action tonite.
    Louisville just became a lot more interesting.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-20-2023)

Sweet. EDLC is back. Any CES updates?

Doug said likely next Tuesday when they start their series in Iowa.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-20-2023),Redhook (04-20-2023),RedTeamGo! (04-20-2023)

Question now is who plays SS or is it time to promote McLain to ease the logjam (I think it’s too soon)?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?