Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Draft Discussion

Re: 2022 Draft Discussion

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any mock drafts with Rocker going to the Reds. I suspect the Reds will want to play it safe. The names mentioned most are Lesko, Neto, Berriera, Young, and Susac. Hopefully, the Reds use their draft pool to get one of the consensus top 10 picks to fall to them. I'd be OK with anyone except Jordan Beck who seems to be power over contact.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I may have missed it, but I haven't seen any mock drafts with Rocker going to the Reds. I suspect the Reds will want to play it safe. The names mentioned most are Lesko, Neto, Berriera, Young, and Susac. Hopefully, the Reds use their draft pool to get one of the consensus top 10 picks to fall to them. I'd be OK with anyone except Jordan Beck who seems to be power over contact.
    Aren’t Lesko and Berriera high school arms? Those are high risk.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Aren’t Lesko and Berriera high school arms? Those are high risk.
    Yes. Lesko has already had his TJ. Reports are that he would have been top 5 before it. Berriera seems to have good mix of pitches, although he is short. The Reds are convinced that they now know how to develop pitchers. They are being very conservative with Petty.

All draft choices are risky. As for Rocker, there is the reluctance by the Mets last year after the physical. Also, he has only pitched 20 innings this year. He may simply be playing it safe before the draft. He definitely has high upside for a team willing to roll the dice in the first round. I'm not sure it is the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Yes. Lesko has already had his TJ. Reports are that he would have been top 5 before it. Berriera seems to have good mix of pitches, although he is short. The Reds are convinced that they now know how to develop pitchers. They are being very conservative with Petty.

All draft choices are risky. As for Rocker, there is the reluctance by the Mets last year after the physical. Also, he has only pitched 20 innings this year. He may simply be playing it safe before the draft. He definitely has high upside for a team willing to roll the dice in the first round. I'm not sure it is the Reds.
    Already had TJ makes him more risky not less. Its not like measles where you get it once and then you are immune. Is his pitching motion the same as it was prior to TJ? If so, whatever wore his arm out before age 18 will probably do it again. Knowing nothing else about the kid, that alone would keep me away until round 3.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to Rocker, but I'm leaning toward letting some other team take on that project. Reds are already cursed; no need to tempt fate with that can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Already had TJ makes him more risky not less. Its not like measles where you get it once and then you are immune. Is his pitching motion the same as it was prior to TJ? If so, whatever wore his arm out before age 18 will probably do it again. Knowing nothing else about the kid, that alone would keep me away until round 3.
    I wonder if that is the case. I know Antone has had two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I'm sort of on the fence when it comes to Rocker, but I'm leaning toward letting some other team take on that project. Reds are already cursed; no need to tempt fate with that can of worms.
    So, I don't follow these kids much. What's the quick summary of the "can of worms" you are talking about? Health? Legal Issues? Drugs? Something else?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

So, I don't follow these kids much. What's the quick summary of the "can of worms" you are talking about? Health? Legal Issues? Drugs? Something else?
    Health.

10. Likes:

Mitri (07-09-2022),mth123 (07-09-2022)

Health. Boras. Expectations.

He seems like a good kid, and it'd be cool to see how he'd fit with the current crop of young pitching talent. I guess it really comes down to the medicals, and what he and Boras expect to get out of the bonus.

Braves trade Drew Waters and 2 arms to KC for pick #35, which is tradeable.

Fascinating.

They are getting pretty good production from most positions and their starters of Fried, Morton, Wright and Strider are all more than making up for Anderson’s struggles.

I smell a trade for a closer with this pick part of the deal. They must be spooked by Kenley Jansen’s heart issue and Will Smith hasn’t been particularly stellar.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Braves trade Drew Waters and 2 arms to KC for pick #35, which is tradeable.

Fascinating.

They are getting pretty good production from most positions and their starters of Fried, Morton, Wright and Strider are all more than making up for Anderson’s struggles.

I smell a trade for a closer with this pick part of the deal. They must be spooked by Kenley Jansen’s heart issue and Will Smith hasn’t been particularly stellar.
    From the MLBTR article:

The 15 selections in the two Competitive Balance rounds — Round A ranges from Nos.33-39, Round B from picks 67-74 — are the only picks eligible to be traded each year’s draft and can only be traded once (meaning the Braves cannot subsequently flip the pick to another team).
    I suspect this deal has more to do with filling Benintendi's spot once he's gone to the Yankees.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Good article on his situation here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/kumar-rocke...oulder-surgery

After Rocker starred for three years in college, the Mets selected him 10th overall in last year's Draft and the two sides quickly came to a $6 million bonus agreement. But the club didn't like the results of his post-Draft physical, for reasons that never have been made public, and reduced its bonus offer to $0. New York chose to receive the No. 11 pick this year as compensation rather than try to come to a revised arrangement.

Had Rocker participated in MLB's pre-Draft MRI program a year ago, the rules at the time would have mandated that the Mets offer him at least 60 percent of the $4,739,900 assigned pick value ($2,843,940) in order to qualify for a compensation choice if he didn't sign because of concerns about his elbow or shoulder. But he opted not to and also elected not to attend the MLB Draft Combine this June, where he could have taken a pre-Draft physical that would have guaranteed him 75 percent of the assigned value based on where he gets selected later this month.

Rather than return to Vanderbilt with two years of college eligibility remaining, Rocker elected to showcase himself with the Tri-City ValleyCats of the independent Frontier League. Pitching once a week beginning on June 3, he made five appearances between three and five innings with Tri-City. He pushed his fastball to 99 mph and snapped off some wipeout sliders at times, posting a 1.35 ERA with a 32/4 K/BB ratio in 20 innings, and is done pitching before the Draft.

With less uncertainty surrounding Rocker's health, he becomes a more attractive option in a 2022 Draft decimated by injuries to potential first-round college pitchers
    He recently released his medicals and disclosed an offseason shoulder "cleanup" surgery, has thrown well in Indy ball this season.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

If Rocker is there at 18, you gotta roll the dice.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-11-2022)

I am fascinated by Chase DeLauter and would not be able to resist him. Let's sell some jeans.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

malcontent (07-14-2022),RedTeamGo! (07-12-2022),RichRed (07-12-2022)

The more I think about it, the more I want the Reds to take Rocker. I get he has risks….but he is also very high reward. Those risks aren’t the usual will he bust risks of most prospects, but, rather health risks. His upside seems to be true #1 type pitcher. And he seems like the type that could be in a rotation by next season at some point. IMO, you gotta take that risk if he’s there. A top 4 of Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, and Rocker could be epic even if those guys only reach 75-80% of their potential.

Turn Off Ads?