Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Draft Discussion

Re: 2022 Draft Discussion

I think rocker is going to be long gone by time Reds pick.

People need to start preparing for the Reds to take the HS SS out of Pittsburgh. Lots of smoke there.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I want the Reds to take Rocker. I get he has risks….but he is also very high reward. Those risks aren’t the usual will he bust risks of most prospects, but, rather health risks. His upside seems to be true #1 type pitcher. And he seems like the type that could be in a rotation by next season at some point. IMO, you gotta take that risk if he’s there. A top 4 of Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, and Rocker could be epic even if those guys only reach 75-80% of their potential.
    Rocker would be a good gamble at 32. Reds might be able to use their pool to overpay him at that level. I could see a Young and Rocker draft.

I believe Dominic Keegan fits the bill for a high senior draft choice. The Reds usually take several seniors to save money to throw at others. In Keegan's case he has a premium bat in a good program and he is a catcher. I'll go out on a limb and predict him second round. That would leave a lot of money for picks 18 and 32.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think rocker is going to be long gone by time Reds pick.

People need to start preparing for the Reds to take the HS SS out of Pittsburgh. Lots of smoke there.
    I really hope not. I normally like HS shortstops a lot but this one reeks of a Buckley up-the-middle gym rat that doesn’t have any particular standout tool. We took Matt McLain last year, let’s go after some guys with standout tools.

Personally, I’d still love to see Dylan Lesko at 18. Or conversely a corner bat at 18 and Rocker in the sandwich round.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-13-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I really hope not. I normally like HS shortstops a lot but this one reeks of a Buckley up-the-middle gym rat that doesn’t have any particular standout tool. We took Matt McLain last year, let’s go after some guys with standout tools.

Personally, I’d still love to see Dylan Lesko at 18. Or conversely a corner bat at 18 and Rocker in the sandwich round.
    I think you’re underselling Young quite a bit here. It’s not just the reds, seems like whole industry likes him according to Keith Law and others after his performance at combine and this spring. Law makes it sound like he thinks Young will be gone by 18.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-13-2022 at 08:05 PM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

How about Chase DeLauter? Reds sure could use a LH bat in the OF. Also seems to be a smart and motivated guy.

edit --- just saw M2 already in on DeLauter.
    Last edited by malcontent; 07-14-2022 at 03:15 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

8. Likes:

M2 (07-15-2022),Old school 1983 (07-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    How about Chase DeLauter? Reds sure could use a LH bat in the OF. Also seems to be a smart and motivated guy.

edit --- just saw M2 already in on DeLauter.
    I’d be on board with DeLauter, especially if Lesko was off the board.
    Go BLUE!!!

10. Likes:

malcontent (07-14-2022),Old school 1983 (07-14-2022)

I have wanted DeLauter for some time, doesn't seem like Reds are connected with him much, though, until last night when mlb pipeline said the below. MLB Pipeline released their 2nd to last mock last night and have the Reds getting Zach Neto. I would be a-ok with that pick. Neto sounds like one of the best hit tools in the draft, if not the best.

18. Reds: Zach Neto, SS, Campbell (No. 17)
    I’m feeling more bat love here, with Neto and Young as infield possibilities, and college outfielders like DeLauter or Jordan Beck possibly on the table.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-july-13-2022

From another site on Neto:

18. Cincinatti Reds – SS Zach Neto, Campbell
    Height: 6-0 | Weight: 185 lbs. | B-T: R-R | Age: 21 | Class: Redshirt Sophomore

Scouting Report: Zach Neto may have the craziest career stat line among hitters this year. Through 78 career games, Neto is hitting .389/.487/.712 with 18 homers and just 43 strikeouts. He runs well and has a strong arm, upping the chances of him sticking at shortstop long-term. While he isn’t seen as much of a prospect on the mound, Neto has logged 26 innings as a pitcher for the Fighting Camels. If a team believes in his hit tool, watch for someone to take Neto relatively early.
    https://www.justbaseball.com/prospec...new-no-1-pick/

I am starting to talk myself into Neto. That career line is absurd.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-14-2022 at 09:02 AM.

12. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-16-2022),Rick Palmer (07-14-2022)

Neto, if he falls, is a fine pick. I'm a sucker for a 60 hit tool.

All the prospective picks have solid hit tools.

DeLaurter, Young, and Neto all seem to be .280+ hitters. That's vital for the organization.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 07-14-2022 at 10:08 AM.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-14-2022),RED VAN HOT (07-14-2022),Rick Palmer (07-14-2022),Tom Servo (07-15-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My "never will fall to the Reds, but would love him anyway" is Jacob Berry. He'd slot in as a worthy successor to Votto.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I would be very happy with one of Neto or DeLaughter. Drew Gilbert would be interesting - and would 100% become a Scrappy God in Cincinnati if he fulfilled his potential. I could see the Reds hesitant to draft another Volunteer in the first round. Very hard pass on Jordan Beck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I would be very happy with one of Neto or DeLaughter. Drew Gilbert would be interesting - and would 100% become a Scrappy God in Cincinnati if he fulfilled his potential. I could see the Reds hesitant to draft another Volunteer in the first round. Very hard pass on Jordan Beck.
    Beck is one of the few mentioned in mocks that I absolutely wouldn't want. Power over contact. The Reds have enough of those in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Beck is one of the few mentioned in mocks that I absolutely wouldn't want. Power over contact. The Reds have enough of those in the system.
    Same here. All the Reds position prospects have major swing-and-miss concerns, even EDLC. Neto's profile seems to fit a style of player the Reds don't currently have in the system. After watching some NCAA tournament this year, Gilbert acts like a complete tool on the field but maybe I'd feel differently he played for a team I rooted for.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Great article on Espn.com about Rocker yesterday:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ft-man-mystery
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

20. Likes:

texasdave (07-15-2022)

There is a possible scenario where ownership wants to use the draft and trade deadline to focus on the near term.

So a guy like Rocker would be of interest. A trade for AAA level prospects would be of interest. Just get me good, inexpensive, controllable guys who can play for the Reds very soon.

While I’m not particularly interested in the youngest prospects at this point, I wouldn’t limit the draft/trades to the readiest prospects. Could happen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-16-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Turn Off Ads?