Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Draft Discussion

Re: 2022 Draft Discussion

I honestly don't get the appeal of Young at all, and Neto only marginally more.

This seems like the draft to roll the dice on either Rocker or a HS pitcher. DeLauter works I guess, I generally don't like small school picks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You don't see the appeal of Zach Neto? Dude is all appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post

This seems like the draft to roll the dice on either Rocker or a HS pitcher. DeLauter works I guess, I generally don't like small school picks.
    Most scouts say Neto has the best hit tool in the draft. That’s the appeal.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Anyone with a projected 55 or better hit tool is a definitive need for the Reds.

They dealt Winker, their best hit tool guy, thinking India and Senzel could supply that. Neither has, this season. There's no one on the horizon either, now that Matt McLain's shown he's selling out for power. Tyler Callihan is perhaps the prospect with the highest and most advanced hit tool in the system, and he's only in A Ball. Nearly all the prospects ahead of him-- Hendrick, Hinds, De La Cruz, Cerda, McLain, Johnson, McGarry-- are power over BA.

6. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (07-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Most scouts say Neto has the best hit tool in the draft. That’s the appeal.
    There is no way his hit tool is better than Termarr Johnson's.

And can he stick at SS?

Keith Law has us taking either Susac or Young in his final mock.

https://theathletic.com/3427466/2022...ft-2022-final/

Bleacherreport has us taking Neto.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...1st-round-pick

- - - Updated - - -

CBS has us taking Young.

RTG's prediction of Young looks more and more likely by the mock.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2...-kumar-rocker/

Another pick for Young from SportingNews:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...pmxinmgxp1lwyc

There is no way his hit tool is better than Termarr Johnson's.

And can he stick at SS?
    Yes

Last year, McClain fell in the draft and Reds picked him up.

I expect the same tonight. Reds will look for someone to fall into their lap at 18. Position, high school, college won’t matter if a higher rated player drops to 18.

This morning MLB.com mocks Neto (Callis) and pitcher Horton (Mayo). But they throw out a number of names depending on how the draft goes.

Fine with me, it’s all a big crap shoot at 18, just go for BPA, hopefully a pleasant surprise is available.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-17-2022),mth123 (07-18-2022)

I'd be very happy with Neto, a little less enthusiastic about Horton but he is intriguing. I'd love it if Peyton Graham slipped, but I doubt it happens.

Still sort of want to pick DeLauter and hope he quickly becomes our RF of the future.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-17-2022)

I want Neto, DeLauter, Crawford, Prielipp, or Elijah Green at 18 (there’s rumors he’s slipping to the teens)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I want Neto, DeLauter, Crawford, Prielipp, or Elijah Green at 18 (there’s rumors he’s slipping to the teens)
    Green is the current regime's catnip, seemingly-- a big-power guy who has questions about his hit tool.

I'd obviously be overjoyed with the pick (as he has massive upside), but the questions are real.

Fangraphs mock says Reds are among teams interested in acquiring another comp pick. Mock says Susac to Reds, but Graham, others mentioned.

If Reds trade for another comp pick, Guardians, Padres, Brewers have them, all could use a bat. Drury, Pham, Naquin? CF is a generally weak hitting position, would Senzel be a candidate for such a trade?
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2022 at 12:11 PM.

From the mocks, Neto, Lesko, and Young are my preferences. I believe Neto is gone by 18. Atlanta got pool space to get Lesko. It's probably 50/50 that Young makes it to 18. Reds have a high number of SS contenders, but no sure things.

IMO, Susac is the likely pick. Catching is a thin position. Stephenson is heir apparent to 1B when Votto retires. If the Reds take a position player at 18, then 32 is likely to be a college pitcher. Tidwell would seem the most likely.

Turn Off Ads?