Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball America Reds Top 30 Prospects Midseason

thorn

Re: Baseball America Reds Top 30 Prospects Midseason

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    ESPN's Kiley McDaniel came out with his midseason top prospects list today and there is a picture of Hunter on the story so I assume he made a move on the list. I don't have ESPN+ though so I don't know where he is on the list.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/
    Greene is 15, Lodolo is 23, Barrero is 40

Even with Barrero at 40 there are 10 SS ahead of him.
    Last edited by thorn; 08-05-2021 at 03:15 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Greene is 15, Lodolo is 23, Barrero is 40
    That's the consensus of most prognosticators around the country-- Greene, Lodolo, then Barrero, all in the top 50.

Nm
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-05-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Does he though? All kinds of swing and miss in his swing.
    He’s played like 20 professional games. Seems pretty early to be drawing conclusions like that.

6. Likes:

Benihana (08-05-2021),New Fever (08-05-2021),RedTeamGo! (08-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    That's how my top-4 would look, too.
    Hunter Greene, angered at your perception of him as the third-best Red prospect, went 6.1 innings allowing a lone safety. One walk. 10 K.

80 pitches, 57 strikes.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-06-2021),Mitri (08-06-2021),RiverRat13 (08-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    He’s played like 20 professional games. Seems pretty early to be drawing conclusions like that.
    That’s fair, but being so injury prone isn’t exactly a feather in his cap.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Love the production this year from the top of this list.
    Hendrick has gotten his OPS up to 800 after a pitiful start. He’s doing it with a 404 OBP so showing a solid approach. I think the hits will come the more he plays.

Are witnessing the minor league system make a turn for the better in development?

India and Stephenson have both been very good rookies. Barrero keeps taking steps forward and looks great. Lodolo and Greene continue to meet lofty expectations.

Ashcraft has come out of nowhere to become an interesting prospect. There are a lot of guys, including the recent first rounders Hendrick and McClain, that it's still too early to tell, but there are enough of them to remain optimistic.

Not sure if it's the surprising success of both India or Stephenson, but it's got me optimistic about the future of the club. It seemed like for ages, guys sputtered or got injured or whatever on a pretty regular basis. Between India, Stephenson, Barrero, Lodolo and Greene, it feels like the Reds might have developed five first division starters. Incalculably important for a perpetually cash-strapped organization.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-06-2021),Benihana (08-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Are witnessing the minor league system make a turn for the better in development?

India and Stephenson have both been very good rookies. Barrero keeps taking steps forward and looks great. Lodolo and Greene continue to meet lofty expectations.

Ashcraft has come out of nowhere to become an interesting prospect. There are a lot of guys, including the recent first rounders Hendrick and McClain, that it's still too early to tell, but there are enough of them to remain optimistic.

Not sure if it's the surprising success of both India or Stephenson, but it's got me optimistic about the future of the club. It seemed like for ages, guys sputtered or got injured or whatever on a pretty regular basis. Between India, Stephenson, Barrero, Lodolo and Greene, it feels like the Reds might have developed five first division starters. Incalculably important for a perpetually cash-strapped organization.
    It doesn’t even have to be that the development is great. Sometimes it’s just the fact that they didn’t screw the pooch when drafting in the top 10, Barrero aside. That’s not intended to be a backhanded compliment - it’s so important to nail those high picks when you have them and not get cute.

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It doesn’t even have to be that the development is great. Sometimes it’s just the fact that they didn’t screw the pooch when drafting in the top 10, Barrero aside. That’s not intended to be a backhanded compliment - it’s so important to nail those high picks when you have them and not get cute.
    But the point is, they've botched this for years. There was a well-researched 2019 Baseball America article that said the Reds were the worst draft-and-develop team in all of baseball.

Feel free to chalk it up to the absence of something. I'm open to the idea that the post-Jocketty focus on development may be paying dividends. There's no way of saying what it is now, but it feels like there's a critical mass of talent in the minors, and the last time that happened was the mini-run in the early 2010s.

Also, let Reds fans have a little optimism, you know, as a treat.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-06-2021),Griffey012 (08-06-2021),RedTeamGo! (08-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    But the point is, they've botched this for years. There was a well-researched 2019 Baseball America article that said the Reds were the worst draft-and-develop team in all of baseball.

Feel free to chalk it up to the absence of something. I'm open to the idea that the post-Jocketty focus on development may be paying dividends. There's no way of saying what it is now, but it feels like there's a critical mass of talent in the minors, and the last time that happened was the mini-run in the early 2010s.

Also, let Reds fans have a little optimism, you know, as a treat.
    I don’t know if “let Reds fans have a little optimism was directed at me,” but I digress.

I do think the Reds development has ascended off of abysmal levels. I am very happy with things as they stand today - as an aside in Boddy’s AMA he mentioned his contract expires after this year and his 2022 status is TBD.

But look at the 2018 MLB draft and India, arguably the most valuable of the players you mentioned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018...Baseball_draft

If the draft were re-held today, I’d argue India would be pick #2, behind Kelenic, of course that’s a moving target and I’m not so sure India wouldn’t go #1 given his performance. The Reds were both fortuitous and wise with their pick.

So I don’t think it’s a chicken or the egg thing in regards to drafting and development, but rather a bit of both. You gotta have the opportunity to, and pick the right player. I just don’t want that aspect glossed over.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 08-06-2021 at 03:10 PM.

And to think that a lot of us were not happy the Reds selected Jonathan India ...
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I just don’t get why Hinds is 6th
    How about now?
    Go BLUE!!!

21. Likes:

BillDoran (09-02-2021),Mitri (09-01-2021)

Hinds is a stud I've got him 8th just behind Santillan and Ashcraft. Although Santillan will likely fall off that list after he is on the roster for 45 days and no longer qualifies as a rookie.

Turn Off Ads?