Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021-22 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2021-22 Euro soccer thread

Snow delayed the Atalanta-Villareal that will determine the final Champions League knockout round slot. They'll play it tomorrow. Atalanta has to win to go through. Red Bull Salzburg beat Sevilla to become the first Austrian team ever to make the knockouts. French Champion Lille won that group, making this the 1st time since 2007 (and only 2nd time ever) they've made the knockouts.

Yet the big news is Benfica beat Dinamo Kyiv to beat out Barcelona (which lost again to Bayern, this time 3-0). It is a dizzying fall from grace for Barca. They're headed into the Europa League playoffs with Dortmund, Sevilla and Porto.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Champions League draw (after they screwed it up on their first attempt):

Madrid-PSG
    Bayern-Salzburg
    Lille-Chelsea
    ManU-Atletico
    Many City-Sporting
    Liverpool-Inter
    Juve-Villareal
    Ajax-Benfica

The Madrid/PSG and ManU/Atletico matchups look like the marquee affairs. Liverpool/Inter could be interesting, though Inter has yet to assert it against top sides in its return to the CL. Anyone predicting any upsets? Most entertaining fixture?
    Last edited by M2; 12-13-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Lot of talk the Premier League is going to shut down until mid January

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Lot of talk the Premier League is going to shut down until mid January
    This is going to put a serious wrinkle in my Boxing Day.

This Chelsea Liverpool game has been fantastic.

7. Likes:

M2 (01-02-2022)

Requested feedback from arsenal and premier league fans. Can you give a me quick assessment of Ainsley Maitland-Niles? He is coming to Rome on loan and he looks pretty skilled and pacy. He hasn’t been given many minutes in 2020-2021.
    What is his best position?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Requested feedback from arsenal and premier league fans. Can you give a me quick assessment of Ainsley Maitland-Niles? He is coming to Rome on loan and he looks pretty skilled and pacy. He hasn’t been given many minutes in 2020-2021.
    What is his best position?
    Defense is his calling card. Runs hard, has good positional awareness. Got a regular run at Arsenal when Unai Emery was the manager because Emery wanted someone on his squad to do the donkey work. That's likely what Mou sees in him. AMN will grind and he can hold/carry the ball. He's a bit rudimentary on the ball (not a progressive passer), which is why Arteta has buried him.

Could be a wing in Serie A, particularly if Mou is looking for someone to get back on the flank.

10. Likes:

Betterread (01-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Defense is his calling card. Runs hard, has good positional awareness. Got a regular run at Arsenal when Unai Emery was the manager because Emery wanted someone on his squad to do the donkey work. That's likely what Mou sees in him. AMN will grind and he can hold/carry the ball. He's a bit rudimentary on the ball (not a progressive passer), which is why Arteta has buried him.

Could be a wing in Serie A, particularly if Mou is looking for someone to get back on the flank.
    Yeah I think that’s a good assessment. He’s a solid player, works hard and most of the time you won’t even know he’s there (good or bad).

12. Likes:

Betterread (01-05-2022)

Got a Clasico on ESPN right now. Vinicius and Benzema just combined for a slick goal.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Got a Clasico on ESPN right now. Vinicius and Benzema just combined for a slick goal.
    Odd to see that played in Saudi Arabia, but La Liga teams are struggling for dollars...

King Salman had some good seats at midfield. Wonder if he found those on Vivid Seats or StubHub...
    Last edited by oregonred; 01-12-2022 at 06:07 PM.

15. Likes:

M2 (01-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Odd to see that played in Saudi Arabia, but La Liga teams are struggling for dollars...

King Salman had some good seats at midfield. Wonder if he found those on Vivid Seats or StubHub...
    Is that what was happening? I had it muted while I was working and couldn’t figure it out.

"So Fla Red"

Apparently LA Liga has an 8 year deal through 2028 or 2029 to play the Super Cup in $audi Arabia.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Apparently LA Liga has an 8 year deal through 2028 or 2029 to play the Super Cup in $audi Arabia.
    Oh yeah, it's a cash cow for them. And that's fine as other leagues have played their Super Cups abroad. Italy and France started doing it in 2009. Spain's main innovation is they moved theirs to the winter break and made it a mini-tournament. High chance of lots of extra Madrid-Barcelona clashes, which means extra $$$.

On Sunday, Real Madrid dominated BilBao 2-0 to win the Supercopa espana. Modric, Kroos (passing) and Casemiro (defending) dominated midfield and Vinicius and Rodrygo consistently created space and good angles in the box through effective dribbling.
    This Madrid side is beautiful to watch but this 11 rarely gets a rest. bale and Hazard barely get any minutes. They are redundant, but still I wonder if there will be a price for the lack of rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    On Sunday, Real Madrid dominated BilBao 2-0 to win the Supercopa espana. Modric, Kroos (passing) and Casemiro (defending) dominated midfield and Vinicius and Rodrygo consistently created space and good angles in the box through effective dribbling.
    This Madrid side is beautiful to watch but this 11 rarely gets a rest. bale and Hazard barely get any minutes. They are redundant, but still I wonder if there will be a price for the lack of rotation.
    Could be an issue. Vini and Benz don't get much rest because you really can't replace them. Probably the best strike duo on the planet right now (39 goals between them in all competitions). Vini becoming a legit World XI striker is the most dramatic season-to-season improvement I think I've ever seen in any sport. Asensio and Rodrygo have been effective splitting time on the right. So that's four operable forwards. And Mariano and Jovic have been lively in their limited appearances.

They've got middies who can spell Modric and Kroos (Valverde, Camavinga, Isco, Ceballos). What they lack is a #6 who can spell Casemiro, though I keep hoping they'll give Antonio Blanco some run there. We're going to see some rotation for Thursday's Copa del Rey matchup against Elche because their Brazilians will be away for an international tilt.

Bale's never playing for them again. They didn't even bother taking him to Saudi Arabia for the Supercopa so he could play golf there, which is the greatest snub you now give to Gareth Bale. Hazard got some recent shop window exposure just to establish that he's healthy enough to play. He was terrible and it looks like he'll be back in bubble wrap through the transfer window (where they're surely hoping Newcastle makes an offer).

21. Likes:

Betterread (01-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?