Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Rotation

Re: 2022 Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Other than he's good at pitching and can survive in the Reds' farcically lopsided hitters park? If they can strike a deal for an extra year or two on him, that would be good business (something like the deal they cut that bought them an extra year of Cueto).
    I think a Castillo or Mahle extension would be in the 6 year, 100M$ range. I see little chance either are going to sell just 1 or 2 FA years.

I think Reds fans as a whole seriously undervalue the contracts that our entire rotation will be on next season.

2. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (10-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I think a Castillo or Mahle extension would be in the 6 year, 100M$ range. I see little chance either are going to sell just 1 or 2 FA years.

I think Reds fans as a whole seriously undervalue the contracts that our entire rotation will be on next season.
    If the contracts are so valuable, they should bring a rather enticing return. Reds should listen, especially on the starters with some mileage on their pitching arms.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-01-2021 at 04:16 PM.

5. Likes:

Chip R (10-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Why, because some would consider trading a starter? If the contracts are so valuable, they should bring a rather enticing return.
    Yes, yes they should.

However, it makes no sense making a hole in an attempt to fill another when you're contending. You want to put rookie A or rookie B into a slot where they will be inning limited in June....makes no sense.

Yes, yes they should.

However, it makes no sense making a hole in an attempt to fill another when you're contending. You want to put rookie A or rookie B into a slot where they will be inning limited in June....makes no sense.
    It depends on the offer.

Gray and Miley shouldn’t be viewed as untouchable, unique assets. We’re not talking about keeping Koufax on the 1963 Dodgers here.

The Reds aren’t that good. Contenders? Barely. I’m not sure holding together a 2021 team that managed third place in the Central is a very compelling goal. Hopefully Reds will listen to offers and be open to change.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-01-2021 at 04:36 PM.

The last time the Reds were good - back in 2013 was due to their rotation. Here we are, on the cusp of being good again, because of the rotation.

Don't break it up.

9. Likes:

DocRed (10-01-2021),Edd Roush (10-04-2021),HokieRed (10-01-2021),M2 (10-01-2021),Mitri (10-01-2021),Ron Madden (10-01-2021)

The last time the Reds were good - back in 2013 was due to their rotation. Here we are, on the cusp of being good again, because of the rotation.

Don't break it up.
    I think you slightly overvalue this rotation. I know you love Mahle. He struggles at home that is a fact. I love Mahle as well but he is not a shutdown ace. In fact they don't have a shutdown ace. Castillo, Mahle are both outstanding pitchers who have flaws. Gray has been injury prone of late and his size is a concern. Miley will not come close to his 2021 numbers next season. And will probably spend half the season on the IL. Nothing on my part to back that up, just a hunch.
    The need to trade one of the four. Pretty simple. The Reds were good this year. They need to be better to be a playoff team. They need outfield and relief help. If one of the four can fetch help in return you do it. You have to give up something to get something. I mean why can't they use Greene or Lodolo in the rotation? None of us no if they will be good, average or poor. There are ways to get around the innings limits. Skip there spot on off days. Use a opener. Let them go 4 innings a start Max through April or even May if need be.
    I am not saying to trade one of the starters for just anything. I am saying they have to pursue a trade or trades. I think both Castillo and Mahle will have better seasons next year. I also think Gray and Miley will be worse/injured or both.

Castillo and Mahle will be getting arb bumps the next two seasons. Arb estimates won't be out for a few weeks, but Castillo's starting from $4.2M and Mahle's starting from $2.2M. Add them to Gray and Miley and the whole group probably comes in around $35M next season. Pretty sweet price for what they're getting.

As for extensions, Mahle's the most obvious candidate. He's still relatively young and he makes the least money. They can give him more up front and four years at market price on the back of his two remaining years of team control. He'd only be 32 at the end of that deal. Castillo's trickier because he's older and he makes more. No idea if his rocky start to the season would make him amenable to extra up front for a year or two on the back. As I mentioned, Cueto gave them an extra year for more up front. It can happen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Don't break it up.
    Could not agree more. A plus-plus rotation is not something the Reds can or should take for granted. Build around the rotation and ride it as far as it can take you, as we'll all be back to desperate for pitching once they're gone.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2021),mth123 (10-01-2021),Old school 1983 (10-01-2021)

Yes, yes they should.

This is where I’ve landed. It’s really difficult to plug that hole on the market, and if it’s not done correctly it becomes a huge handicap to a successful team. See 2021 bullpen, for a recent example.

15. Likes:

M2 (10-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I think you slightly overvalue this rotation. I know you love Mahle. He struggles at home that is a fact. I love Mahle as well but he is not a shutdown ace. In fact they don't have a shutdown ace. Castillo, Mahle are both outstanding pitchers who have flaws. Gray has been injury prone of late and his size is a concern. Miley will not come close to his 2021 numbers next season. And will probably spend half the season on the IL. Nothing on my part to back that up, just a hunch.
    The need to trade one of the four. Pretty simple. The Reds were good this year. They need to be better to be a playoff team. They need outfield and relief help. If one of the four can fetch help in return you do it. You have to give up something to get something. I mean why can't they use Greene or Lodolo in the rotation? None of us no if they will be good, average or poor. There are ways to get around the innings limits. Skip there spot on off days. Use a opener. Let them go 4 innings a start Max through April or even May if need be.
    I am not saying to trade one of the starters for just anything. I am saying they have to pursue a trade or trades. I think both Castillo and Mahle will have better seasons next year. I also think Gray and Miley will be worse/injured or both.
    Kinsm, Let me add I would prefer they keep the starters in tact. Go out and fill the teams needs on the free agent market. But we all know that is not going to happen. So only way I see to fill the needs is to trade a starter.

This club can trade from their farm as well.

18. Likes:

KeefeCato (10-01-2021)

Kinsm, Let me add I would prefer they keep the starters in tact. Go out and fill the teams needs on the free agent market. But we all know that is not going to happen. So only way I see to fill the needs is to trade a starter.
    It's contending teams that are going to want Castillo, Gray and Miley. And they're not moving quality position players to make those acquisitions. What they'd offer is a rebuilding type of trade. They get the arm who might deliver them immediate glory, you get some kids.

20. Likes:

Frank Robinson (10-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's contending teams that are going to want Castillo, Gray and Miley. And they're not moving quality position players to make those acquisitions. What they'd offer is a rebuilding type of trade. They get the arm who might deliver them immediate glory, you get some kids.
    In most cases yes you are correct. They have to find the right team and the right fit. I would guess that it does exist.

In most cases yes you are correct. They have to find the right team and the right fit. I would guess that it does exist.
    I really don't think it does. Contending teams don't part with pieces that make them a contender. Also, not wild about the chances of the Reds ably filling a rotation hole.

He entered June at 7.22.
    This is a bug, not a feature.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?